Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries
Thread started 21 Jan 2018 (Sunday) 19:37
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

LR5: Export keyword to new catalog...

photoguy6405
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
US Midwest
Jan 21, 2018 19:37 |  #1

I have LR5. I want to export a particular keyword (and associated photos) to a new catalog. I want to keep the files in said keyword in place where they are on the hard drive. I want said photos deleted from the existing catalog, but deleted from the catalog only.

Basically, I have my family photos in the same catalog with my business photos, and I would like to separate them. One catalog for business, one catalog for family. They are already separated on my hard disk, so that aspect is fine.

How would I do that? I Googled, and got conflicting information.

Website: Iowa Landscape Photography (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear List & Feedback
Equipment For Sale: Canon PowerShot A95

sponsored links
BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Jan 24, 2018 11:03 |  #2

I would just select all the images you want to move to the new catalogue, using your keyword search to find them. Then just use File->Export as Catalogue. This will create the new .lrcat file for you. You won't need to include the images since it's all staying on the same computer.

Once you have done the export, I would confirm that the new catalogue opens OK first, you simply delete all of those images from the old catalogue. Just be sure to make sure that you chose remove from catalogue only, not delete from disk. If you have told Lr to auto delete from disk at some point in the past, it might be a good idea to reset your warnings in the Preferences.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Dan ­ Marchant
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2011
Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.
Jan 26, 2018 01:17 |  #3

An alternative would be not to bother with a separate catalog (you have to keep reloading LR when you want to swap between them) and instead just create two Smart Collections. One for Family photos and one for Work. Just use these existing keywords as the criteria for membership of the Smart Collection and it will auto-populate.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Feb 03, 2018 17:30 |  #4

Dan Marchant wrote in post #18549156 (external link)
An alternative would be not to bother with a separate catalog (you have to keep reloading LR when you want to swap between them) and instead just create two Smart Collections. One for Family photos and one for Work. Just use these existing keywords as the criteria for membership of the Smart Collection and it will auto-populate.

This would actually be my prefered option too. I used to run multiple catalogues at first, but in the end the fact that I needed to restart Lr every time became a PITA. So my first post was I think the best way to switch to two catalogues, but I wouldn't.

Alan

Dan ­ Marchant
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2011
Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.
Feb 04, 2018 05:12 |  #5

BigAl007 wrote in post #18555731 (external link)
....but in the end the fact that I needed to restart Lr every time became a PITA.

Plus you have to create two sets of keywords or keep exporting one and importing it into the other catalog. Just too much trouble.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Feb 04, 2018 15:09 |  #6

I never really had too much trouble with keywords across both catalogues, generally with those there wasn't much crossover. Although I do put a lot of effort into keywording my images I think I need to do a bit of research into managing keywords efficiently, and also improving applying them to images. After my last two day airshow I had around 5000 images to keyword with aircraft types, display teams and some other details. Many images have more than one type of aircraft, in one part of the display there was a formation of 13 Spitfires, all of different marks, sorting out which was which was a pretty intensive job, that can really only be done manually by someone who knows the subject matter.

One thing I do use, and is really good for separating general groups of images are IPTC subject codes (external link). If you follow the link you will find a page that will allow you to find the correct subject codes. I use the correct codes, but if you are not going to embed that data in the EXIF of exported images, and just use it as a identifier within Lr you could make up your own codes. In Lr you can use multiple codes, you just separate them with a comma just like with keywords. You can use them in creating Smart Collections though, so they can be really handy. For me using the codes means that I'm not having to try and separate different genres of images solely by keywords.

Alan

sponsored links

189 views & 0 likes for this thread
LR5: Export keyword to new catalog...
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.