Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Bird Talk 
Thread started 01 Dec 2017 (Friday) 04:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Screech Owl box camera installation

Duane ­ N
Cream of the Crop
9,021 posts
Gallery: 166 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 01, 2017 04:09 |  #1

I installed a Screech Owl nest box last year and to my surprise one took a liking to it this fall. The box is mounted on a pole with a baffle to keep Squirrels, Raccoons and snakes out of it and it's located on the backside of my property near a patch of woods.

I decided I wanted to monitor the box using a wired nest box camera and so I don't disturb the owl currently residing in the box I'm building a second box and installing it near the current box hoping it moves into it. Only time will tell if that happens.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

This is a picture of the temporary monitor I will be using just for testing purposes and that's not a real owl in the picture (lol). I have some more testing to do before I install the new nest box. I also have to figure out what to use to record and/or live stream the video feed because I have a few people already asking me if that's what I plan on doing.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

www.3rdicreations.com (external link)

sponsored links
Duane ­ N
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,021 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 14, 2017 03:28 |  #2

If anybody is interested I will be live streaming video on Youtube using some cameras I'm setting up in and around the Screech Owl nest box I have in my back yard. It's a work in progress and right now I'm only using one external camera but I plan on adding a camera inside the nest box the owl is currently using once I figure out it's routine at night or if it happens to leave the box during the day. I don't want to disturb it while it's inside the box just to install another camera.

Duane ­ N
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,021 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Post edited 3 months ago by Duane N.

Feb 02, 2018 15:48 |  #3

I finally got the live stream in order and I have 2 separate cameras installed in 2 Screech Owl boxes that are 10' apart for each other at the same height. A local wildlife biologist also confirmed the 2 Screech Owls that have been living in each box for several months are male and female. My hope is they use one of the boxes to raise a family in the spring. For now they sleep/preen during the day and leave at around 5:30-6pm EST for the evening and they don't return to their respective boxes until dawn. I turn the stream off at night after they leave but I've been streaming it during the day for the last week or so.

Internet Explorer won't work watching the stream..I have to use Chrome.

txcanon
Goldmember
3,430 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Feb 2008
Post edited 3 months ago by txcanon.

Feb 03, 2018 06:20 |  #4

Very cool idea with what you're doing with the camera Duane. I'll have to check out the feed. We have Screech Owls in the area and a couple of friends have a boxes out. And they both have owls. We decided to get a box but haven't put it up yet. Will be exciting to see what happens.

Brad
My SmugMug Gallery (external link)

Duane ­ N
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,021 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 03, 2018 17:53 |  #5

Thanks Brad. It was more curiosity to see what they do during the day (which isn't much as I expected) and what their diet is and why I installed the camera(s). So far it's been a Bluebird, male Cardinal, Baltimore Oriole and a flying squirrel. They are on the ground a lot before returning to their respective boxes in the mornings...I assume hunting insects and they also drink from a bird bath I have near the nest boxes. I have an external camera that I don't live stream.

txcanon
Goldmember
3,430 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 04, 2018 05:10 |  #6

Interesting... I've wondered of they take birds. Some people I've talked to have said yes, and some have said no. Song bird predation is what I'm most concerned about and why I haven't put up our Owl box. We enjoy the birds that we have that come to our feeders throughout the year. We also hosted Bluebirds for over a dozen years at our previous house and really enjoyed them. We have Bluebirds here too in the area and put out our Bluebird boxes but we don't have any takers yet, (other than a pair of Bewick's Wren last spring). We would like to have Bluebirds again.

Brad
My SmugMug Gallery (external link)

Duane ­ N
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,021 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 05, 2018 05:31 |  #7

I appreciate your concern for the songbirds you have in your back yard and the concern over having Screech Owls in your yard as well. I too have nesting Bluebirds each year in my yard along with many other songbirds that winter over plus the regular ones throughout the year.

sponsored links

2,240 views & 2 likes for this thread
Screech Owl box camera installation
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Bird Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.