Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People
Thread started 20 Jan 2018 (Saturday) 01:29
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

My Newest Headshots

Jan 20, 2018 01:29 |  #1

Hey everyone! My name is Mike Sansone, and I am a headshot photographer in Chicago. I am also a mentor on Peter Hurley's Headshot Crew site. I thought I would introduce myself, and show you guys a couple of my favorite headshots that I have recently taken. The girl is an actress in town, and the gentleman needed a new image for linkedin. These were lit with the westcott flexkit, and shot with a canon 5d3 and an 85 1.8 lens. What do you guys think?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Mike Sansone Photography
Chicago Headshot Photographer
https://mikesansonepho​tography.com (external link)
773-999-9981

sponsored links
AD ­ Campbell
548 posts
Joined Sep 2013
Jan 20, 2018 02:31 |  #2

Well you're certainly Hurley inspired. :D

I own gear to take photos with...
Adam Campbell - Portrait photographer
www.acampbellphoto.netexternal link

kezug
Joined Mar 2010
N.W. Indiana
Post has been last edited 28 days ago by kezug. 2 edits done in total.
Jan 20, 2018 07:48 |  #3

These are incredible!

I have seen it many times over in other head shots but how is it that headshots work (they look good and are accepted too) when the top part of the head is cut off in the crop? We always know not to cut off hands/feet or at joints, etc...but one would think that any cut of the head would be unaccpetable but clearly it works and is accepted....sometimes I just ponder too many things but I am wondering if anyone knows why.

Again, these are great!

Camera's: 70D, G12 | Len's: 18-135mm IS STM, 55-250mm IS STM, 50mm f/1.8 II | Photos:flickr (external link)

MikeSansonePhotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
Joined Jan 2018
Jan 20, 2018 16:25 as a reply to kezug's post |  #4

honestly it doesn't matter because people know whats up there. it's when you cut off too much of the head that its an issue. i only ever cut off the top quarter of the head from the highest point in their hairline. so if they don't have much hair up top...im not cropping off that much.

corporate folks i typically leave the head..just incase they need to cut it out and use it somewhere else. but actors it isn't as important. as long as you know what they hairstyle is it doesn't matter.

even still...on linkedin when you are reduced to a small thumbnail....you want as much of that square real estate to be of their face. so the tighter crop just works better. if you get too much body or space above the head..their face is much smaller and lessens the impact of the shot overall.

its a more interesting composition, and if you look at magazine covers...peoples heads are cut off all the time.

limbs are of course slightly different. but i still think you can cut those off too sometimes. rules are made to be broken. if it looks interesting and speaks to your inner artist. f*** everyone else. ;]

Mike Sansone Photography
Chicago Headshot Photographer
https://mikesansonepho​tography.com (external link)
773-999-9981

meruehl
Joined Mar 2010
Alabama
Jan 23, 2018 13:12 |  #5

Really nice!

Hoping to get to this one day.

Canon 50D, Canon Nifty Fifty, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, Yongnuo YN-568EX II, Tamron 80-210mm f/4.5-5.6, (2) Lumopro 160, (1) YN-622C-TX, (2) YN-622C II, (3) Cactus V5 , flickr (external link)

Thumpa33
Joined Mar 2013
Sharon, Ma
Feb 04, 2018 00:06 |  #6

MikeSansonePhotography wrote in post #18544888 (external link)
Hey everyone! My name is Mike Sansone, and I am a headshot photographer in Chicago. I am also a mentor on Peter Hurley's Headshot Crew site. I thought I would introduce myself, and show you guys a couple of my favorite headshots that I have recently taken. The girl is an actress in town, and the gentleman needed a new image for linkedin. These were lit with the westcott flexkit, and shot with a canon 5d3 and an 85 1.8 lens. What do you guys think?
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by MikeSansonePhotography in
./showthread.php?p=185​44888&i=i266569101
forum: People
./showthread.php?p=185​44888&i=i173567064

Mike, I really like both! They're well lit, tack sharp and all that... but the thing that stands out to me is, I see personality in both shots! they are great pics, and I can tell you are great at connecting with your subjects!
Well Done!
Tom

Cham_001
859 posts
Joined Feb 2009
based between Ruse, Bulgaria & Recife-Brazil
Feb 04, 2018 09:47 |  #7

MikeSansonePhotography wrote in post #18544888 (external link)
./showthread.php?p=185​44888&i=i266569101
./showthread.php?p=185​44888&i=i173567064

---

Hi Mike,

Love them both...

1.) I would submit this one to a photo-library - perfectly 'business-like'!!!!
definitely usable by him for his own/company website and/or business-cards

2.) perfect! but I am not sure how to monetise this one!

"... with a clear perspective - the confusion is clearer ..."
Body: Canon 5D-IV
Lenses: 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM
Flashguns: 580ex II x 4, MT24 macro flash
Accessories: Pkt Wiz TT5 x 4, AC3, MiniTT1, Sekonic L-758DR
Studio Lights: <... pending ...>

disneydork06
Cream of the Crop
7,300 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
Feb 05, 2018 11:35 |  #8

Great shots, nice and simple. I like the catchlights.

Ryan
~AZ POTN Planned Activitiesexternal link
let me know how I can improve, cause we all know I need it :): Flickrexternal link
myspaceexternal link facebookexternal link The Greatest online forum known on Earthtwitterexternal link[URL="http://www.500px​.com/RDimal"]500xp follow me! in something^ you know you want to

sponsored links

964 views & 12 likes for this thread
My Newest Headshots
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.