Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk
Thread started 30 Jan 2018 (Tuesday) 10:03
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

is it safe to purchase used

Archibald
You must be quackers!
Joined May 2008
Calgary
Post has been edited 14 days ago by Archibald.
Feb 04, 2018 21:33 |  #16

I mostly buy new, only rarely buy used.

A couple years ago I bought a used EF-S 15-85mm lens from a reputable individual. It turned out to be a bad purchase. The lens was not very sharp. I don't think there was a fault with it, but that all these lenses are not that sharp. This despite the fantastic reviews it garnered when it first came out. Because it was a private sale, I was not able to return it. I sold it instead, at a loss.

When you buy used from a private seller, you limit your options if you change your mind.

I suspect some gear is sold because the owner is not happy with it. In some cases, there is a fault with the item. I once had a Canon 100-400mm lens that occasionally would lock up when tracking birds. It only happened when pointed up and zoomed to 400mm. Once locked, it would not focus until zoomed in. That restored its function, but of course resulted in missed shots. The lens was sent in to Canon but they said there was nothing wrong with it. But there was. I was able to return it to the dealer and exchange it for another copy of the lens. What happened to the first one? I'm sure it got sold to someone else! Hopefully the current owner does not use it for tracking birds.

Occasionally you read stories here on POTN about someone who bought a used item that was not as described, for instance a body with a much higher shutter count than purported.

I bought a Canon 100mm macro new and hated it because it lacked IS. There was nothing wrong with it, it just didn't have a feature I needed. Returned it the next day to the dealer and exchanged it for the 100mm L IS version and am very happy with it.

If a good deal on a used item comes along, I might go for it, but I'm usually happier with new purchases.

Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

sponsored links
Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
Joined Oct 2010
Feb 05, 2018 02:03 |  #17

I've bought 3 used cameras, all with some issues.

G16 from reputable online seller of used camera gear...defective menu.

G1X from eBay. Seller said it was an unused Canon refurb...zoom feature malfunction.

1D4 from private party...dust (internal) in the viewfinder.

If you buy used test/check the camera as soon as possible. Find out if it comes with a warranty.
Ask the seller if the camera can be returned if a problem is found.

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

alex66
213 posts
Joined Feb 2006
Feb 05, 2018 04:12 |  #18

I have bought nearly everything used, the last time I bought a new camera body was 2007 and a lens 2015. On Ebay there have been a couple of duds ie not as described they got sent back and refund was given, alas I was out on postage. In the UK though you have to be careful as some of the dealers are cheaper than buying off Ebay where I guess the got to win part of bidding pushes up prices. With an expensive purchase like a 5D3 I would be inclined to get one from a dealer as they tend to give a warranty of 3-12 months, it gives you a chance to see if any issues are there. My A7 was from a dealer no issues but its good to feel covered, it cost less than half the original new price as the mark 2 had come along. Like cars there is a massive hit on buying digital cameras actually its worse once the next version comes out, lenses not so much. I ought to add I am a quite prolific shooter, running several projects side by side, my cameras get a lot of use and no issues apart from one after 9 years of heavy use. I say go for it you will save money almost enough to buy a used body as a spare, but at $1300 use some place with a warranty.

Stuff
Feed Your Head

heat00
THREAD ­ STARTER
257 posts
Joined Jan 2016
Feb 05, 2018 10:17 |  #19

yea these are all very good to read... I think I will stick with new since it's not too much more anyways, that will ensure no issues.
Thank you all for your advice.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Feb 05, 2018 11:33 |  #20

Archibald wrote in post #18556501 (external link)
I bought a Canon 100mm macro new and hated it because it lacked IS. There was nothing wrong with it, it just didn't have a feature I needed. Returned it the next day to the dealer and exchanged it for the 100mm L IS version and am very happy with it.

Hey, Archie!

I am curious - if you know what you need IS, then why did you buy a lens without it?

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Archibald
You must be quackers!
Joined May 2008
Calgary
Feb 05, 2018 12:21 |  #21

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18556855 (external link)
Hey, Archie!

I am curious - if you know what you need IS, then why did you buy a lens without it?

It was my first real macro lens. At the time, here on POTN, folks were saying that you don't need IS for a macro lens because IS is not very effective at macro distances. Furthermore, if you use flash, you freeze motion with the flash. That's a second reason you don't need IS in a macro lens.

The non-IS lens is quite a bit cheaper, so that's what I bought.

But in only a couple of hours of shooting, I realized that often I wasn't using it at 1:1 but further away where IS is very useful. Besides, even at 1:1, IS is quite useful even if it isn't as good as when used at lower magnification. Furthermore, IS is great for stabilizing the image in the viewfinder when you are framing the subject. Finally, if you are shooting outdoors in bright light, it is common to have ghosting from the ambient light when using flash. IS helps to reduce that ghosting by stabilizing the image.

I've mentioned these reasons several times in the past in posts where folks ask whether they should get the IS lens or not. I was misled (for my kind of uses), maybe others won't be.

Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

sponsored links

643 views & 11 likes for this thread
is it safe to purchase used
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.