I'm wanting to revamp my website. Presently, it is html based and looks 2002-ish. Personally, I like it, but I know that it looks dated and other people like to see something more modern.
My current blog is Wordpress, and tied to my website via an external link. (Both website and blog links are below, if you want to take a look.)
I want to go all-Wordpress, but am feeling 1) overwhelmed by the options, and 2) not finding exactly what I want in a theme.
What I do and don't want:
- Gallery-oriented. Kind of similar to what I have now, though doesn't have to be identical. Photos broken down into categories, then people can click one, and use an arrow to scroll through as they desire. I prefer manual scrolling as opposed to timed slideshows, as I know that I as a customer hate it when I'm looking at something and it changes on me too fast.
- I want a blog, but not the site to be primarily blog-based, as so many themes seem to be now. I'm not adamantly opposed to the blog being on the home page, but I'd prefer it be a separate page. Either way, I do not want to have to write a blog post for every single photo just to get the photo properly categorized.
- I'd prefer a "static" home page, but with random rotating featured photos. Doesn't have to be automatic rotation, can be just a new one every time someone visits.
- I would like either sidebar or topbar navigation available at all times on all pages.
- When photos are expanded to full size, I want some information included, similar to what my Slimbox does now... reference number, brief information. (It just now occurred to me that there may be a Slimbox plug-in for Wordpress, I'll check that out later when I get home.)
- I really don't want the site to be so slick that it's annoying. No flying graphics getting in the way, no long load times, etc. Keep it simple. The image that I want to portray is a simple and respectable web presence so people can view and easily (hopefully) purchase some photos. Impressing people with my online prowess isn't important to me.
I wrote my html site myself, using trial-and-error and TextPad, many years ago, so I'm not wholly ignorant of how these things work, but at the same time I don't want to get so far into somebody else's Wordpress coding that I screw it up. I know what *I* did, let's put it that way.
I tried a couple and ended up discouraged. I liked the look of Portfolio Lite, but it was a serious pain in the read end to configure, so I gave up.
I then found Infinite Photography, and I really like it, but it seems more blog-centric and not gallery-friendly, and I'm now getting frustrated over that.
Note that I am perfectly fine with purchasing a theme, Infinite Photography Pro looks good, but I want to make sure I will like it before I purchase. My only hard criteria on purchase is that it be a one-time payment. I am not willing to pay a fee every year to get upgrades.
Any thoughts or suggestions will be most appreciated. Thanks.
Side note: I am not interested in Zenfolio, or anything similar. Tried that for three years a few years ago and I absolutely hated it.