Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Thread started 29 Jan 2018 (Monday) 08:45
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

35is vs 40stm?

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,712 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited 20 days ago by Wilt. 4 edits done in total.
Jan 30, 2018 09:44 |  #16

FarmerTed1971 wrote in post #18552073 (external link)
If you need the small size keep the 40.

The conventional wisdom back in the days of film was that if the FL difference was not by a factor of at least 20%, it was not worth owning a lens on the basis of FL alone. So other factors, like relative size/weight might make two similar FL lenses worth owning, as you might prefer size over other advantages at different times. Some of the other criteria worth pondering

• f/2 vs. f/2.8
  • how much you prefer to use moderate wide 35mm FL over a more 'normal' FL (if FF)
  • how much you prefer to use 'normal' 35mm FL over a short tele FL (if used on APS-C)
  • if shooting video, STM better due to lower noise while focusing
  • IS capable lens vs. not

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

sponsored links
MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Jan 30, 2018 09:47 |  #17

Wilt wrote in post #18552349 (external link)
  • if shooting video, STM better due to lower noise while focusing
  • This is only true for some STM lenses. Frankly the 40 STM & 50 STM are noisy. No quieter than the sound of USM. You can plainly hear them. The 18-55 STM however is dead silent and you cannot hear it.

Not all STM are the same for silence with respect to audio recording during video.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

mwsilver
    Goldmember
    Joined Oct 2011
    Central New Jersey
    Post has been last edited 20 days ago by mwsilver. 2 edits done in total.
    Jan 30, 2018 10:09 |  #18

MalVeauX wrote in post #18552350 (external link)
    This is only true for some STM lenses. Frankly the 40 STM & 50 STM are noisy. No quieter than the sound of USM. You can plainly hear them. The 18-55 STM however is dead silent and you cannot hear it.

Not all STM are the same for silence with respect to audio recording during video.

Very best,

I would even say that my 50mm STM, at least, is actually noisier than the USM motor on my 35mm f/2 IS.. It's a surprisingly noisy and annoying whining kind of sound. And it's definitely not as usable for video as other STM lenses. The quietest lens I own is the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8. It's almost as silent as the most quiet STM lenses.

Mark
    Canon 7D II, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, and 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM. Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, Lightroom 6, Elements 15

MalVeauX
    "Looks rough and well used"
    Joined Feb 2013
    Florida
    Jan 30, 2018 12:12 |  #19

mwsilver wrote in post #18552363 (external link)
    I would even say that my 50mm STM, at least, is actually noisier than the USM motor on my 35mm f/2 IS.. It's a surprisingly noisy and annoying whining kind of sound. And it's definitely not as usable for video as other STM lenses. The quietest lens I own is the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8. It's almost as silent as the most quiet STM lenses.

Agree, the 40 STM & 50 STM so far have been the noisiest of the STM's I've used. Even the 24 F2.8 STM is noisy. Those pancake versions are just not the same as the ones in the zooms.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

n1as
    Goldmember
    2,326 posts
    Joined Oct 2007
    Salem, OR
    Feb 06, 2018 23:42 |  #20

My 35 f/2 IS produces higher contrast and better colors than my 40 stm. I sold the 40.

- Keith
    http://darwinphoto.zen​folio.com (external link)

RPCrowe
    Cream of the Crop
    7,638 posts
    Joined Nov 2005
    San Diego County, California, USA
    Post has been last edited 9 days ago by RPCrowe. 2 edits done in total.
    Feb 09, 2018 19:01 |  #21

TWO THINGS:

1. The 35mm f/2 IS is a great video lens on my 6D Mark ii. I don't record with the in camera mike so focusing sound is no problem. The IS of the lens combined with the in camera IS (for video) is really nice.

2. On a 1.6x crop camera, the 35mm, at 56mm equivalent is (IMO) a better and more natural focal length than the 64mm equivalent of the 40mm. I think that a 35mm f/2.8 STM lens might have sold better:rolleyes:.

3. (I lied when I said two things:-() the extra stop of the f/2 lens can often save the day in shooting under low light conditions. The 6D Mark ii with 35mm f/2.0 IS lens is my favorite low light combination...

BTW: I own both lenses and seldom use the 40mm for either video or stills since I got the 35mm f/2.0 IS.

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

sponsored links

1,404 views & 9 likes for this thread
    35is vs 40stm?
    FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
    Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.