Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands
Thread started 06 Feb 2018 (Tuesday) 09:45
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Advice between Sony a6300 / Fujifilm XE-3 & available lens options?

DeCeccoNET
707 posts
Joined Dec 2007
Eastchester, New York
Feb 06, 2018 09:45 |  #1

Decided I want to re-focus on my family, and downsize my Canon gear to a mirroless setup I can manage with 2 very active children and 1 more on the way. After handling several bodies/brands at a local stores, I narrowed down to Sony (for compactness/AF speed) and Fujifilm (for control layout). I seem to prefer the Sony lens options and the Fujifilm bodies.

I was ready to pull the trigger on:
Sony a6300 (body only)
35 1.8 as my grab and go
18-200 f3.5-6.3 for when I want versatility and reach (in a small form factor, outside with good light)
90 2.8 macro (because I enjoy both macro & using a long prime for sit-down portraits)

I originally wrote off Fuji due to the seemingly higher costs and fewer native lens choices, until I read about XE-3 which I've not yet to have the opportunity to try
Fujifilm XE-3 with 23 f2.0 (a little wider than I'd prefer, but still a focal length I'd enjoy)
18 - 135 f3.5-5.6 (I wish it were longer, but it would still serve my intended purpose)
80 2.8 macro (very surprised by the price, vs my 100L - also worried that the critters I sometimes shoot would run away or find themselves cornered and decide to charge at me @ 80mm or 90mm...)

Has anyone had experience with both?

Sold all my gear to support starting a family... who inspired me to re-focus on photography again.
70D, 24-70 2.8L II, 100 2.8L Macro

Osa713
Joined Jun 2011
Houston, TX
Feb 07, 2018 00:02 |  #2

I was in a similar situation when I decided to sell my canon kit and give mirrorless a try.

Coming from canon I was also shocked that Fuji doesn’t have a lot of “cheap” lenses in every focal length. I was looking to get some bare bones lenses and upgrade as my needs progressed. It turned out to be a good thing as their IQ/build quality is really amazing for the price when compared to pro lenses from other brands.

What pushed me towards Fuji were the ergonomics(iso, shutter and aperture dials) and the cost of lenses compared to Sony. Granted I was looking at G-master lenses that did not fit in my budget.

After holding both systems in my hands my mind was set on Fuji because it felt great when shooting. I like the Sony system but the layout did not compliment my shooting style.

LIGHT>LENS>BODY

soeren
96 posts
Joined Nov 2017
Post has been edited 18 days ago by soeren.
Feb 07, 2018 00:12 |  #3

Fuji does have a 35mm f/2 lens too.
And it seems you could use the 80mm macro on a 1.4TC if working distance is of concern.

Owain ­ Shaw
Some of my best friends are people.
Joined Aug 2006
Valencia, Spain.
Feb 07, 2018 04:42 |  #4

I can't offer any insight into Sony gear as I haven't used it but I have to agree with Osa that while Fuji lenses aren't cheap, I would say they do offer really good value for money. They aren't budget in price but none (AFAIK) of their lenses are budget in performance or construction either.

The new range of f/2 primes all look really good. I'm looking at the 23mm myself.

| Photographic for the People - New website coming soon. |
| Gear | Flickr (external link) |

173 views & 2 likes for this thread
Advice between Sony a6300 / Fujifilm XE-3 & available lens options?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.