Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 06 Feb 2018 (Tuesday) 06:23
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Real Backdrops, screen or digital?

Antarion
99 posts
Joined Mar 2010
Post has been edited 14 days ago by Antarion.
Feb 06, 2018 06:23 |  #1

Hey folks,

jsut a quick question. I wanna do some Action Figure photography. I'm about to buy some cheap vinly backdrops via ebay to do some different Scenes. I wonder if it is better to just buy...like a black, White and a green one and then doing digital Background on them?

Problem with most Vinyl Background is, that they can get stale very fast. So you buy a backdrop, do some shots and then you dont want to use that Background ever again...

On the other Hand, digital is probably much more work and might still look pretty "shopped" or outright ugly.

I've seen some people using big flat screens and using pictures on there as a background...sounds awesome in theory, but I don't know about the quality of this.

Any experiences or recommendations?

sponsored links
Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Post has been edited 14 days ago by Left Handed Brisket.
Feb 06, 2018 07:08 |  #2

chroma green is proven to work well with most matte/flat surfaces. However, with reflective subjects, they can pick up the green on the surface of the subject.

I have extensively used the technique outlined by Rico Tudor in this thread: http://photography-on-the.net .../showthread.php?t=1​467237

I not only suspend items, but have also placed them on a large piece of glass and used the same technique. The problem with glass is picking up the subject's reflection in the dark frame. A polarizer fixes this without an impact to the subject most of the time.

dmward also outlines a technique in that thread that uses just one exposure. It works well too.

The key to both of those methods (and chroma key) is to have the background far enough back that it doesn't impact the light falling on the subject.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,813 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been last edited 14 days ago by TeamSpeed. 2 edits done in total.
Feb 06, 2018 07:27 |  #3

As has been stated, put some distance between the subject and chroma screen, and also try to light up the backdrop evenly. Have 2 - 3 different keyed backdrops so that you can use the one that conflicts least with the subject and their clothing.

Action figures shouldn't be too difficult with this setup and I could definitely see using digital backdrops for a variety of "in the distance blurred" backgrounds for those. Post examples when you have some!

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

bigVinnie
821 posts
Joined Jul 2010
Roaming the USA
Feb 07, 2018 10:52 |  #4

Your other option is to use a 2 shot mask.

Google Hensel freemask or Godox alt mask on youtube.

Yongnuo also has the feature in it's YN-E3-RT trigger.

Essentially you take two shots, first lights subject or with Yongnuo all lights fire. Second shot only background lights fire. The idea is to create an all white background with subject in shadow. That way you can mask using the white and not have any white on the subject interfere with the mask. Works with any color actually, but white is pretty standard.

Since your subject doesn't move you don't really need to automate but makes it nicer.

Act1 Photo Booths (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,729 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been edited 13 days ago by Wilt.
Feb 07, 2018 11:08 |  #5

bigVinnie wrote in post #18558513 (external link)
Your other option is to use a 2 shot mask.

...Since your subject doesn't move you don't really need to automate but makes it nicer.

Any animate subject cannot possibly be so immobile that their position is perfectly mimiced between the two shots...our bodies move slightly in space simply due to breathing!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,619 posts
Joined May 2004
USA
Feb 07, 2018 13:04 |  #6

Green screen is needed for video--not needed for still photography. Use gray.

sponsored links

482 views & 1 like for this thread
Real Backdrops, screen or digital?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.