Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 06 Feb 2018 (Tuesday) 15:56
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Organizing your gear

shane_c
640 posts
Joined Mar 2007
Halifax, NS, Canada
Post has been edited 14 days ago by shane_c.
Feb 06, 2018 15:56 |  #1

Looking for some ideas on how to better organize or store my gear at home. Currently my body and lenses are in a camera bag on the floor the tripod is standing in the corner and various cables, flashes and other miscellaneous items scattered around the house. It would be nice to have everything a bit more organized. :-)

Canon 80D - Canon 10-18, Sigma 17-50 (2.8), Canon 40 STM, Canon 70-200L F4 (non-IS), Canon 400L (5.6), Canon 1.4x II
My Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
Cham_001
862 posts
Joined Feb 2009
based between Ruse, Bulgaria & Recife-Brazil
Post has been edited 14 days ago by Cham_001.
Feb 06, 2018 16:26 |  #2

Yeah, it's a difficult one:
there is another thread (somewhere) discussing this very same issue - can't seem to find it right now...
Plenty of advice based on:
- environmental considerations (humidity levels)
- duration that gear will be stored
- lenses - requiring venting to avoid fungal issues
... etc
Personally, I am thinking along a metal storage unit that is similar to what is used in a mechanic's garage:- maybe in all-white but must have deep drawers
http://pictures.ese.co​.uk/images/Product/lar​ge/1683.jpg (external link)

Just done a quick 'Search' - here's the search result - feel free to go through those Posts
http://photography-on-the.net ...showthread.php?p=18​548241

"... with a clear perspective - the confusion is clearer ..."
Body: Canon 5D-IV
Lenses: 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM
Flashguns: 580ex II x 4, MT24 macro flash
Accessories: Pkt Wiz TT5 x 4, AC3, MiniTT1, Sekonic L-758DR
Studio Lights: <... pending ...>

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2010
Chula Vista, CA
Feb 06, 2018 16:56 |  #3

shane_c wrote in post #18557962 (external link)
Looking for some ideas on how to better organize or store my gear at home. Currently my body and lenses are in a camera bag on the floor the tripod is standing in the corner and various cables, flashes and other miscellaneous items scattered around the house. It would be nice to have everything a bit more organized. :-)

If everything pretty much fits in a bag right now, maybe look into a "wardrobe" closet from someone like Closetmaid. I used a Closetmaid double door storage closet for a while before switching to industrial shelves, mainly to make room for studio equipment. Right now we're renting a house that's a wee bit smaller than our last place, so I'm using a single industrial shelf coupled with a cabinet and an Ikea drawer unit.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

AZGeorge
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2010
Southen Arizona
Feb 06, 2018 18:29 |  #4

All my gear is in one organized closet in the office.

Oh, wait! That's the sound of cables twisting about in their mating ritual. And that adapter I really need has hidden itself. And how in the world can strobes become instantly invisible.

Organized? What fool called that mess organized?

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
7,210 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Feb 06, 2018 21:15 |  #5

I have an entire closet with shelves devoted to camera stuff. I manage to find what I need... eventually.

Tom

BryanIS
31 posts
Joined Jan 2015
Liverpool, NY
Feb 07, 2018 04:52 |  #6

I put built in shelves in my studio. I purposely didn't put them anywhere covered so clients can see them and therefore I have to keep them neat lol. All the cameras and lenses go in a large Pelican case with those little silica packets that come with electronics.

Colin ­ Glover
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2012
Southport nr Liverpool United Kingdom
Feb 07, 2018 12:24 |  #7

The majority of my gear (2 bodies, 9 lenses - of which two are mounted on the bodies, 2 Speedies, adapters, batteries, diffuser, filters etc fit in my Lowepro Urban Reporter 350 at the bottom of my 'drobe, along with my tripod. I have a few unused lenses, a broken speedy and bits and bobs in a drawer in the next wardrobe (one goes right to floor and is for clothes, the other is drawers and shelves). The bag weighs a ton. I need to remove some stuff lol. I have a smaller bag for when I don't need much so I just pop a body, extra lens and spare batteries.

Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 600D, EF-S 18-55 ii, EF 55-200 USM ii, EF-S 75-300 iii, Tamron 28-80, Sigma 70-210. Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, EF-S 55-250, Raynox Macro adapter, Neewer filters (CPL, UV, FLD & ND4), Fuji HS20 EXR (30X zoom ) & cable release, Yongnuo 560 iii & Luxon 9800A manual flashguns for the Fuji, Hama Star 63 tripod, Hongdek RC-6 remote control, Velbon DF 40 www.point-n-shoot.co.uk website.

kf095
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2009
Canada, Ontario, Milton
Post has been last edited 13 days ago by kf095. 2 edits done in total.
Feb 07, 2018 12:32 |  #8

Ikea like drawer or cabinet with glass doors, shelves.
http://www.ikea.com/ms​/en_CA/locator/halifax​.html (external link)

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

Cham_001
862 posts
Joined Feb 2009
based between Ruse, Bulgaria & Recife-Brazil
Feb 07, 2018 14:42 |  #9

kf095 wrote in post #18558606 (external link)
Ikea like drawer or cabinet with glass doors, shelves.
http://www.ikea.com/ms​/en_CA/locator/halifax​.html (external link)

---
Thanks for Posting this link, just had a look, nice idea.
What about storing gear in these drawers for say a mx of 6months at a time? OR is using a metal storage solution better?
(My thinking is to keep all items readily available inside drawers exposed. i.e no gear inside any bags or cases)

"... with a clear perspective - the confusion is clearer ..."
Body: Canon 5D-IV
Lenses: 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM
Flashguns: 580ex II x 4, MT24 macro flash
Accessories: Pkt Wiz TT5 x 4, AC3, MiniTT1, Sekonic L-758DR
Studio Lights: <... pending ...>

sponsored links

563 views & 4 likes for this thread
Organizing your gear
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.