Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
Thread started 09 Jun 2017 (Friday) 10:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sony Lounge Thread MKIII (All Sony cameras welcome)

DTBaan
"male gigolo"
13,616 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Apr 2011

Feb 07, 2018 17:34 |  #11641

David Arbogast wrote in post #18558767 (external link)
Thanks Alfredo. This was the first image uploaded to my new account. It's going to feature mainly my walk-around street shooting and my other accouint will be left for more serious architectural, cityscape, landscape images.

cool

ill be sure to subscribe when i'm at home. love your walk around images.

sponsored links
mickeyb105
Goldmember
2,443 posts
Gallery: 346 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 07, 2018 17:47 |  #11642

eriet30 wrote in post #18557966 (external link)
Anyone know of anything to shoot in Savannah Georgia?

Looks like I am going to be there in April for a business conference

I was last there in 2015, and there are a few good places to shoot in the area.

Forsyth Park has some really amazing trees and it is surrounded by some nice residential architecture that has been carefully maintained over the last two decades. There is a beautiful fountain within the park I got some nice shots of, although I'm having a hard time locating my Savannah set right now.

The riverfront in Savannah is scenic, and it has kind of a toned-down Bourbon Street not dissimilar to downtown Tallahassee if it had a huge riverfront. There is a bridge that crosses you over into South Carolina, where you can shoot the riverfront from that POV. The bridge is older, but I can't remember how photogenic it is.

If you go out to Tybee Island, you come across Ft. Pulaski on the way. I haven't shot the area but have seen it from afar. It is interesting, and maybe worth a look.

Tybee Island itself is a typical beachy tourist town in many regards, and maybe it is worth going all the way out there to shoot. I have spent more time in Tybee Island than Savannah, although I don't remember how the bird scene is that way. You will likely have better luck shooting out by the delta than you will by the ocean. There is a lighthouse out there that is something of an area landmark, and there is a fairly long pier that goes out into the ocean.

If you like to eat, there are two places worth your time. First is The Old Pink House, and that is some of the best southern cooking I've had anywhere. The Fried Green Tomato BLT is one of my favorite dishes of all-time. The other place is Mrs. Wilkes Dining Room, which has perhaps the best fried chicken in the south. These are big words, but the place delivers the goods. Lots of sides! The place starts to get a line 40 minutes before they open (easy) so you better be committed. Paula Deens places in town are mostly tourist traps with quality ranging from very good to awful. They certainly don't approach the quality of her old Buffet at her Harrah's (The Grand) in Tunica.

Sony A99ii, RX-100ii, Sonnar T* 135mm f/1.8 ZA, Minolta HS 200 2.8 APO, Zeiss 24/2 ZA, Minolta 2xTC APO, HVL-F43M
Flickr (external link)

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
14,516 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 07, 2018 17:55 |  #11643

Home alone.....

should have bumped the SS higher, but really impromptu, FE 50

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Sony A7rii/A7riii - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 35-70, 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8, 24/1.4 - Tamron 28-75 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 VC

DTBaan
"male gigolo"
13,616 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Feb 07, 2018 17:59 |  #11644

Miranda1 wrote in post #18558790 (external link)
Yeah, glad it worked out for you Travis.

I have become much more careful with my equiptment over the years, I've been caught a few times placing my backpack on the ground and lifting it up with out it being zipperred shut.

I've only had one really bad experience and that was in my Canon days, I had a Canon 1D mark2 and a 24-70L on top of a patio table on our deck and a freak burst of wind lifted the sun umbrella partially up and tilted the table enough to have my rig slide off the table and land with a lound thud on a ceramic floor from about 3 feet off the ground-? Fortunately the point of impact was on the rediculously large plastic lenshade of the 24-70L which took the brunt of the impact, the follow-up bounce had the camera land on the RRS L bracket :lol:. All in all I was super lucky, no real damage done to either the lens or the body.

what luck!! did you go buy a lottery ticket after? you should have! :P

DTBaan
"male gigolo"
13,616 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Feb 07, 2018 18:15 |  #11645

xpfloyd wrote in post #18558827 (external link)
they all sound amazing to me too! I mentioned we were looking at Japan the other day but it’s now pretty much set we are going but it’s not until April 2019!! So got a long time to plan things. Next thing I seriously need to buy as opposed to another 85mm is a photo backpack

If i'm going to Japan, I will definitely want a 16-35.

cheers on the planned trip. that's very exciting!

Kyoto should be on your list :)

DTBaan
"male gigolo"
13,616 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Feb 07, 2018 18:28 |  #11646

David Arbogast wrote in post #18558828 (external link)
I'm with stupid. :p
Been dreaming about an 85mm GM too. :eek: My preference is to have 1.4 primes at 35, 50, and 85 (along with Loxias for landscape/city/archite​cture). However, that's more of a maybe next year/maybe never sort of dreaming.

Wow, we got some group think going on here! I've been feeling the same way. Starting to plan a 3-week camp trip and trying to decide when/where to go. Thinking San Juan Mountains, Colorado, Anyplace, Utah, or maybe somewhere in New Mexico.

Although I'm usually OCD about perfect verticals in my architectural captures, it's just not realistic for an extreme POV like this, so I did a 50% correction in DXO Viewpoint and I think it feels about right

From downtown Macon, Georgia:
QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/235f​fkA  (external link) Macon a Cathedral (external link) by David Arbogast (external link), on Flickr

nice shot! love the colors and your choice of perspective.

although it doesnt seem like it's a David A image. :P (referring to the non straight verticals hehe)

TRhoads
Cream of the Crop
5,637 posts
Gallery: 261 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 07, 2018 18:51 |  #11647

the gear is fine...it was kind of a fluke...the SUV I have this week had the third row up, and not much space behind them...so I stuck my rollaboard and camera bag back there...but then used the auto lift gate and apparently it had shifted just enough to fall out...thankfully onto the grass. But I used it tonight...no issues.

Got my first ever BIF...I have tried a couple of times, and ALWAYS failed...but wow...the a9...amazing...34 image sequence when the bird took off, and it nailed focus on 31...I think its a Blue Heron, but need someone else to tell me...these were just edited with C1 for Sony, quick and dirty...out of excitement...once home and viewing on a big screen I will see what they look like there...but I was stoked.

I had watched this bird sit there for over an hour while I was working in the building...I kept hoping he would still be there when the work day was over...he was generous...and stuck around

HOSTED PHOTO

Then I guess I got too close...he took off and flew across the lake...this is when I shot 34 frames....a 1.4x Extender would be good to have.

HOSTED PHOTO

Gear List & Feedback | SmugMug Page (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
11,680 posts
Gallery: 68 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Post edited 3 months ago by navydoc.

Feb 07, 2018 19:19 |  #11648

David Arbogast wrote in post #18558828 (external link)
I'm with stupid. :p
Been dreaming about an 85mm GM too. :eek: My preference is to have 1.4 primes at 35, 50, and 85 (along with Loxias for landscape/city/archite​cture). However, that's more of a maybe next year/maybe never sort of dreaming.

Wow, we got some group think going on here! I've been feeling the same way. Starting to plan a 3-week camp trip and trying to decide when/where to go. Thinking San Juan Mountains, Colorado, Anyplace, Utah, or maybe somewhere in New Mexico.

Although I'm usually OCD about perfect verticals in my architectural captures, it's just not realistic for an extreme POV like this, so I did a 50% correction in DXO Viewpoint and I think it feels about right

From downtown Macon, Georgia:
QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/235f​fkA  (external link) Macon a Cathedral (external link) by David Arbogast (external link), on Flickr

I know it's just me but the church seems stretched so much vertically that it appears unnatural to me. Would it look more realistic if the scene were stretched horizontally a little?
I have an example edit but I'm sure you won't care for it...

Here's a comparison of the original vs my edit:

http://www.ussoriskany​.us/Slider/ (external link)

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Feb 07, 2018 19:53 |  #11649

navydoc wrote in post #18558924 (external link)
I know it's just me but the church seems stretched so much vertically that it appears unnatural to me. Would it look more realistic if the scene were stretched horizontally a little?
I have an example edit but I'm sure you won't care for it...

Here's a comparison of the original vs my edit:

http://www.ussoriskany​.us/Slider/ (external link)

I used the deformation sliders in DXO Viewpoint to mitigate the problem...how's this?

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4713/26269687318_769066a12b_o.jpg

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, FE 35mm F1.4, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
11,680 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 07, 2018 20:20 |  #11650

David Arbogast wrote in post #18558945 (external link)
I used the deformation sliders in DXO Viewpoint to mitigate the problem...how's this?
QUOTED IMAGE

Yes, that seems much more natural to me now. Thanks for looking at my comparison.

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Feb 07, 2018 20:21 |  #11651

navydoc wrote in post #18558957 (external link)
Yes, that seems much more natural to me now. Thanks for looking at my comparison.

Actually I didn't look at your comparison until after I tried my edit. Looks like they are somewhat similar.

Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, FE 35mm F1.4, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

digital_AM
Cream of the Crop
6,330 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited 3 months ago by digital_AM.

Feb 07, 2018 21:36 |  #11652

I tried my hand at shooting some street photography after work today. I only used my Zeiss 35 manual focus lens. I’m not entirely sure what constitutes street photography. Is it shooting interesting people or shooting people doing interesting things or is it finding something else? I struggled but I also found the whole experience very engaging because it was something out of comfort zone. Anyway, I’m working on some images and will share those soon.

Sony α7R II / ILCE-7RM2 α6000 / ILCE-6000 | Sony Sonnar T* FE 55mm F1.8 ZA FE 16-35mm f/2.8 GM | Carl Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 Loxia 85mm F2.4 Batis 18mm F2.8 Distagon T* 35mm f/2 | Voigtlander Heliar Ultra Wide-Angle 12mm f/5.6 | Tokina AT-X 90mm f/2.5 macro

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Joined Aug 2010
Post edited 3 months ago by David Arbogast.

Feb 07, 2018 21:39 |  #11653

digital_AM wrote in post #18558991 (external link)
I tried my hand at shooting some street photography after work today. I only used my Zeiss 35 manual focus lens. I’m not entirely sure what constitutes street photography. Is it shooting interesting people or shooting people doing interesting things or is it finding something else? I struggled but I also found the whole experience very engaging because it was something out of comfort zone. Anyway, I’m working on some images and will share those soon.

I'm really not sure what street photography is, but I'm sure I'm not doing it right. :p Anyway, I just walking around trying to capture the feel of a place - the life and the dearth of it.

More from Macon, GA:

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4611/39432642934_766a5eb8b1_o.jpg

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4758/40111569752_8543ed6708_o.jpg

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4765/39432647754_77375e7d78_o.jpg

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4698/40111595182_1af33b1eea_o.jpg

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4629/39432610624_bd443a909b_o.jpg

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
11,680 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 07, 2018 21:51 |  #11654

digital_AM wrote in post #18558991 (external link)

David Arbogast wrote in post #18558993 (external link)
I'm really not sure what street photography is, but I'm sure I'm not doing it right. :p Anyway, I just walking around trying to capture the feel of a place - the life and the dearth of it.

More from Macon, GA:

QUOTED IMAGE

QUOTED IMAGE

QUOTED IMAGE

QUOTED IMAGE

I think Vivian Maier epitimizes being a street photographer very well. "She worked for about forty years as a nanny, mostly in Chicago's North Shore, pursuing photography during her spare time. She took more than 150,000 photographs during her lifetime, primarily of the people and architecture ..."

http://www.vivianmaier​.com/ (external link)

rantercsr
Goldmember
2,221 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Mar 2014
Post edited 3 months ago by rantercsr.

Feb 07, 2018 22:33 |  #11655

David Arbogast wrote in post #18558993 (external link)

More from Macon, GA:

QUOTED IMAGE

QUOTED IMAGE

QUOTED IMAGE

QUOTED IMAGE

street photography is what started me in photography

to me it has been the most challenging..but the most satisfying ..
at first i was just happy to get a picture in focus.. composed properly.. and then i realized i was taking photos of nothing..

then i started hunting for "Life's moments"

my best work was with my t4i and 24-70 2.8 mkii..not the ideal discreet setup .. but simply because i went out twice a week minimum and spent hours each time wandering the streets..

i believe we can all capature lucky shots .. in any style of photography ..
but i believe with street photography that "luck" is a bit more relevant .. of course skill plays a role .. a big role

lately I've been trying zone focusing .. to get a bit more in there .. hasn't worked out well so far as i'm not doing it enough to figure out where exactly to be .. or how close to get without disturbing the scene or being out of focus

Fuji XH1 / Panasonic GH5 / Sony A7R3 / Canon t4i / Pentax K1000
My portraits IG (external link)My everything else IG (external link)
MY flickr (external link)

sponsored links

721,792 views & 32,995 likes for this thread
Sony Lounge Thread MKIII (All Sony cameras welcome)
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.