Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Other Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 01 Nov 2017 (Wednesday) 17:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Isn't DJI Due for a new drone soon?

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,226 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 6 months ago by TeamSpeed. (9 edits in all)

Nov 03, 2017 07:17 |  #16

cutwater wrote in post #18487537 (external link)
I doubt he flew for 25 consecutive days too, however, I believe it was his intent to use it until the other unit arrived, so I agree with your assessment. I certainly wouldn't do it, but unfortunately, people do. My wife has gal friends the buy a dress to attend a wedding, leave the tag on, and return it afterwards. Same kind of thing and I don't think it's right.

Anyhow, I don't believe the OP wants to read us discussing the ethics of product return, he's more interested in any news of new drone from DJI.

Again it goes to his intent, not his actions. So yes, it sounds like he used the return policy as a free rental. If so, then that is certainly wrong, but we all do wrong things from time to time. A good business plan should always include backup equipment or at least a plan to acquire a loaner somehow, and not through a liberal return policy. Perhaps I should start loaning mine out? Hmmm...

The wedding thing happens ALOT. But the prices they charge simply due to a captive audience for a one time event is ludicrous and invites this kind of behavior. However 2 wrongs don't make a right, greed on one side and theft on the other.

We are in the middle of planning a wedding ourselves, and I can literally see the bank account drain... :( Fortunately an old co-worker of mine is a photographer and will do the main event and a bit leading up to the ceremony for $100 per hour, and all he is doing is providing the raw files. I told him I will process everything to same money, and my brother and I will shoot other parts of the day as well. So $600 for a good photographer has helped keep costs down. Rentals and dresses and shoes and flowers and table decorations and food and invitations and.... the list goes on. The drone might even make an appearance. :)

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

sponsored links
Jarvis ­ Creative ­ Studios
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,337 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Aug 2013

Nov 10, 2017 23:37 |  #17

Thank you all for your responses thus far. Sorry for my absence but I've read all the posts and I appreciate them. Stinks that there is no solid news on what DJI is up to, especially since I'm reading rumor posts from months ago stating "we're almost sure DJI is announcing a new drone later this week". Appears that was not the case, unless of course those announcements were the platinum Mavic or Obsidian Phantom. I still really want the P4P but I argue with myself about IQ vs. size. I watch Peter McKinnon and wish for the P4P, but then I watch others fold the Mavic up in their camera bag and I wish for that. I REALLY hope that the next Mavic comes out with the 1" sensor, that would make it a no brainer. But I also don't know if it's possible to fit a 1" sensor into a body that small. I keep telling myself that I should just wait until after the new year, and if they don't have the drone I want by then I'll get the P4P. The longer I wait the more money I can save, and maybe by the time I buy I'll be able to get the Inspire 2 lol. That's what I did when switching to Sony. I was expecting to buy a $3000 camera, but they took forever releasing a camera with everything I wanted and by the time they did, I had saved up enough money to buy the a9 and a healthy amount of G-Master and Zeiss glass.

WEBSITE (external link)
flickr (external link)
Sony HX90V || Sony RX100V || Sony a6500 || Sony a9 || Sony E 10-18mm f/4 OSS || Sony FE 24-70 f/2.8 GM || Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA || Sony Sonnar T* FE 55mm f1.8 ZA || Sony FE 70-200 f/2.8 GM OSS || Godox speedlights and strobes

KaosImagery
Goldmember
1,332 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Sep 2009

Nov 14, 2017 13:48 |  #18

Jarvis Creative Studios wrote in post #18493783 (external link)
Thank you all for your responses thus far. Sorry for my absence but I've read all the posts and I appreciate them. Stinks that there is no solid news on what DJI is up to, especially since I'm reading rumor posts from months ago stating "we're almost sure DJI is announcing a new drone later this week". Appears that was not the case, unless of course those announcements were the platinum Mavic or Obsidian Phantom. I still really want the P4P but I argue with myself about IQ vs. size. I watch Peter McKinnon and wish for the P4P, but then I watch others fold the Mavic up in their camera bag and I wish for that. I REALLY hope that the next Mavic comes out with the 1" sensor, that would make it a no brainer. But I also don't know if it's possible to fit a 1" sensor into a body that small. I keep telling myself that I should just wait until after the new year, and if they don't have the drone I want by then I'll get the P4P. The longer I wait the more money I can save, and maybe by the time I buy I'll be able to get the Inspire 2 lol. That's what I did when switching to Sony. I was expecting to buy a $3000 camera, but they took forever releasing a camera with everything I wanted and by the time they did, I had saved up enough money to buy the a9 and a healthy amount of G-Master and Zeiss glass.

Phantom 4 Pro is $1285 at BH today, down from $1499....not a bad discount :)

Website (external link) flickr (external link) 500px (external link) FaceBook (external link)

THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,337 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Nov 20, 2017 19:54 |  #19

Interesting that for DJI's Black Friday sale they are doing money off of all their consumer drones except for the P4P. $150 off Mavic Pro Fly More combo (don't know if this applies to the platinum). $100 off the Spark. Even $50 off the brand new Mavic Pro Alpine White. They are, however, giving the P4P the only real useful free accessory for black friday, a $170 extra battery. So maybe that's where their savings is.

WEBSITE (external link)
flickr (external link)
Sony HX90V || Sony RX100V || Sony a6500 || Sony a9 || Sony E 10-18mm f/4 OSS || Sony FE 24-70 f/2.8 GM || Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA || Sony Sonnar T* FE 55mm f1.8 ZA || Sony FE 70-200 f/2.8 GM OSS || Godox speedlights and strobes

Aus.Morgo
554 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2012

Nov 21, 2017 00:19 |  #20

Hopefully a Mavic 2 is around the corner. I'm happy with my original but I'd like an improved camera, everything else can be a little tweak but if they do a decent upgrade of the camera it will be a killer drone.

Gear List

griesmonkey
179 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2013

Jan 11, 2018 05:40 |  #21

You guys need to check out Autel Robotics for a comparable drone. Just came out with the EVO which, imo, is better than the mavic pro. Their X-Star Premium is equivelent of the 4 DJI has. Customer service is far and above what DJI is (It's crap).

https://www.autelrobot​ics.com/ (external link)

Canon 7D Mark II - Sigma 50-150 OS - Sigma 18-35mm 1.8 - Canon 10-18mm

koolcreation
634 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Oct 2010
Post edited 3 months ago by koolcreation.

Jan 26, 2018 10:36 |  #22

Mavic Air

IMAGE: https://petapixel.com/assets/uploads/2018/01/djimavicairfeat-800x420.jpg

5DMKII | 50mm 1.4 | 24-105 f/4 | Speedlights - Strobes |
Flickr (external link)
Instagram @KoolCreationPhoto (external link)

THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,337 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Jan 26, 2018 17:04 |  #23

koolcreation wrote in post #18549375 (external link)
Mavic Air

QUOTED IMAGE

I was looking at that. Pretty sweet. I wish the lens had manual controls, but they're making steps in the right direction. Love how small it is. And the price. I'm going to wait to see if they come out with an Air Pro.

WEBSITE (external link)
flickr (external link)

Scoobert
Goldmember
1,046 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Jan 29, 2018 07:34 |  #24

koolcreation wrote in post #18549375 (external link)
Mavic Air

QUOTED IMAGE

Wifi only no radio (which will mean much shorter range and interference will bother it more) combined with an app that crashes all the time. I think I will pass on that.

Hope the Mavic II comes out next month like has been rumored, supposed to have a better camera. But NO rear avoidance system, seems kinda strange. I will have to keep flying my trusty p3p for a few more months.

THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,337 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Jan 29, 2018 15:49 |  #25

Scoobert wrote in post #18551574 (external link)
Wifi only no radio (which will mean much shorter range and interference will bother it more) combined with an app that crashes all the time. I think I will pass on that.

Hope the Mavic II comes out next month like has been rumored, supposed to have a better camera. But NO rear avoidance system, seems kinda strange. I will have to keep flying my trusty p3p for a few more months.

In theory the wifi may be worse, but I've watched a lot of reviews and so far no one has reported that. Also with a 21 minute flight time on a tiny drone like this how far away are you actually going to get? Probably not that far.

The app only crashes on Android. It's very stable on IOS. But I'm an android user, so I hope to see improvement in that area soon. I'm interested to see what the Mavic II has to offer. Highly doubt a 1" sensor, but you never know.

DJI has not yet released a drone that has everything I need, so I'm going to continue to wait. I ALMOST pulled the trigger on the P4P+ obsidian, as that was the closest they've come, but the size held me back. I don't mind the price so much if it checks all my boxes.

I waited for a really long time before I switched from Canon to Sony because Sony didn't have a camera that worked in every area for me, so I don't mind waiting a little longer. I have faith that DJI will get there. The perfect drone for me would be a body the size of the Mavic with the camera of the P4P, flight time of 30 min (at least), and noise control of the Mavic Platinum. I would pay $2K for that.

WEBSITE (external link)
flickr (external link)

Scoobert
Goldmember
1,046 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Jan 29, 2018 17:00 |  #26

Jarvis Creative Studios wrote in post #18551915 (external link)
In theory the wifi may be worse, but I've watched a lot of reviews and so far no one has reported that. Also with a 21 minute flight time on a tiny drone like this how far away are you actually going to get? Probably not that far.

The app only crashes on Android. It's very stable on IOS. But I'm an android user, so I hope to see improvement in that area soon. I'm interested to see what the Mavic II has to offer. Highly doubt a 1" sensor, but you never know.

It's not about the absolute range of wifi vs the radio. Even though so far it has shown to be just over half of what the radio drone can fly. But its about how much power it puts out. If it's only good for 1/2 of the range in PERFECT conditions how bad is it going to be when it gets near buildings and trees? How bad the wifi was in cluttered areas was a big reason why many of the drones switched to radio. I will let others find out how great it is when the wifi drops and the app crashes.

The constant crashing is totally unacceptable. Its been going on for years. When you make an OS that is only stable on the trash that apple makes (about 15% of the market) and wont run correctly on the phones that over 80% of the people use than you either need to hire better programmers, limit what devices can be used (and make them stable) or make the controller with its own screen.

I have a DJI and really like my P3P so i will continue to fly it until the Mavic II comes out and maybe longer.

THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,337 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Jan 29, 2018 17:15 |  #27

Scoobert wrote in post #18551966 (external link)
It's not about the absolute range of wifi vs the radio. Even though so far it has shown to be just over half of what the radio drone can fly. But its about how much power it puts out. If it's only good for 1/2 of the range in PERFECT conditions how bad is it going to be when it gets near buildings and trees? How bad the wifi was in cluttered areas was a big reason why many of the drones switched to radio. I will let others find out how great it is when the wifi drops and the app crashes.

The constant crashing is totally unacceptable. Its been going on for years. When you make an OS that is only stable on the trash that apple makes (about 15% of the market) and wont run correctly on the phones that over 80% of the people use than you either need to hire better programmers, limit what devices can be used (and make them stable) or make the controller with its own screen.

I have a DJI and really like my P3P so i will continue to fly it until the Mavic II comes out and maybe longer.

Well not to get too technical (as I can tell you're very passionate about this) but in 2015, 43.5% of all smartphone users in the US used an iphone, and that number has been holding about steady since. Factor in the people using tablets instead of phones with their drones (it can be assumed that most of these would be using an iPad, as no one else has a significant amount of tablets anymore) and one can rest assured that far more than 15% of drone users are running Apple. At least in the US. I doubt the numbers skew that much internationally. This is not an excuse as I believe DJI needs to make up some serious ground on their Android app. But with all the iterations of Android out there, it's probably hard to make something as solid as the one version needed for all IOS devices. This seems to ring true since DJI's own P4P+ controller is Android based, and from everything I've seen seems to work flawlessly with the app. But you would think that DJI would have perfected their app on the larger Android brands like Samsung, and the Google Pixel.

Sources: https://www.statista.c​om …-own-a-iphone-smartphone/ (external link)

WEBSITE (external link)
flickr (external link)

THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,337 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Feb 08, 2018 16:19 |  #28

There are rumors of the Mavic 2 having a 1" sensor and 35 minutes of flight time! And being slightly larger but that's ok! If the camera is manual and have adjustable apertures like the P4P (why wouldn't it?) then I will probably be all over this drone!

WEBSITE (external link)
flickr (external link)

Dusty
Goldmember
1,148 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2006

Feb 08, 2018 16:26 as a reply to  @ Jarvis Creative Studios's post |  #29

Yes, I've heard that too, I suppose only time will tell, hopefully next month or at the latest by May/June.
I'm waiting to see what they have to offer and am very excited at the prospect of a new Mavic 2.
The Mavic Air just isn't enough for me to justify purchasing.
Very, very happy with my Mavic Pro, P3P and P4P atm.

:-)

Dusty
20Da, 7D MkII, 5DII,1DX, 16-35L , 24-105L , 85L , 135L , 200L f/2.8 , 300L f/2.8 , MP-E 65

THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,337 posts
Joined Aug 2013
Post edited 1 month ago by Jarvis Creative Studios.

Mar 24, 2018 11:43 |  #30

There are rumors amiss of a Phantom 4 Pro Platinum that's quieter and has longer run times than the original P4P. I know many people are expecting a Mavic Pro II or Phantom 5 announcement any day now, but the P4PP would be a welcome addition in my opinion. Considering how the main complaints about the P4P are it's size and noise, and there is no way of making that rig smaller, will be nice to have it be quieter.

On top of that, the rumors are saying that although the Mavic Pro II could possibly have a 1" sensor, it will not have a mechanical shutter, therefore suffer with moving objects, or when it's moving itself. So the P4P will still have a better camera. And the larger camera will most likely hinder battery life on the Mavic II.

The Phantom 5 is probably coming out soon and is rumored to have interchangeable lenses like the Inspire series, and this will probably bump the price significantly higher than I want to pay for my first drone. So it's looking like a possible P4PP would be perfect for me.

DJI has said they're going to be making some sort of announcement / press release on March 28th, but it's expected to involve the corporate sector instead of consumer sector. Still will be interesting to see what they say though.

WEBSITE (external link)
flickr (external link)

sponsored links

2,012 views & 13 likes for this thread
Isn't DJI Due for a new drone soon?
FORUMS News & Rumors Other Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.