Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial
Thread started 31 Dec 2009 (Thursday) 21:07
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

The Official Shoot the Moon Thread

Shaun ­ Liddy
Joined Feb 2016
Post has been edited 22 days ago by Shaun Liddy.
Feb 02, 2018 00:51 |  #4816

Couple from when I borrowed a buddies 100-400 mk1.

No post other than cropping.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links
mikeeagle
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2014
The Netherlands
Feb 02, 2018 15:12 |  #4817

Over Tilburg The Netherlands.

Michiel>=-

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4713/28267958729_de3f107fd0_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/K4WF​hM] (external link)naamloos-3193 (external link) by mikeeagle1963 (external link), on Flickr

Canon 50D gripped (ex)-Canon 70D gripped 17-40mmL 70-200mmL 100-400mmL
flickr (external link)
Instagram: https://www.instagram.​com/breitlingmike/ (external link)

Sibil
Cream of the Crop
5,706 posts
Joined Jan 2009
SoCal
Feb 02, 2018 15:54 |  #4818

IMAGE: https://i.imgur.com/r2MRU4X.jpg

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
11,299 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Inland Empire, So. Cal
Feb 06, 2018 13:06 |  #4819

From 8:34 PST this morning.

HOSTED PHOTO

Gene - My Photo Gallery ||external link My USS Oriskany websiteexternal link || My Flickrexternal link
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

gks
Joined Apr 2011
Feb 07, 2018 19:11 |  #4820

HOSTED PHOTO

nero_design
Joined Nov 2012
Sydney, Australia
Feb 08, 2018 08:52 |  #4821

HOSTED PHOTO

Jupiter is next to the moon at the moment. I took this picture from my doorstep this morning and dragged Jupiter closer to the moon in Photoshop to get it in frame and show the scale ... as it wasn't quite this close. The top image is a 100% crop. taken with three shots ... The Moon, Jupiter and the Jovian moons required three different exposures. I tried to combine some images because the heat in the air was causing the moon to shimmer.... but each shot was so radically different to the next that I ended up just using a single image of the moon.

I used the following mounted to a Manfrotto Tripod and used the 10 second self timer (for a change) to reduce camera shake.

Canon EOS M6 mirrorless camera with APS-C sensor (1.61x crop factor).
Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM II lens at 400mm
Canon EF 2x III Extender
Canon EF 12 TeleExtender
Canon EF 1.4x III Extender.

Surprisingly the Autofocus worked fine with this massive combo... and I used the moon for focus before snapping Jupiter. I blended 4 shots of Jupiter in Photoshop to reduce noise and enhance the cloud bands. There's a bit of heat in the air so the getting a sharp result was tough. Canon doesn't want us to stack extenders and so I had to use the EF 12 Tele-Extender between them to be able to stack the 2x and 1.4x extenders together.

I really need to buy a telescope with an EQ mount and Auto-guide for this sort of thing.

HOSTED PHOTO

Road ­ Dog
Joined Jul 2014
St. Augustine, Florida
Feb 08, 2018 09:07 |  #4822

Took this one the other night...

HOSTED PHOTO

Just shut up and smile...
My Current Line-Up

Tareq
"I am very lazy, a normal consumer"
17,712 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2006
Ajman - UAE
Feb 08, 2018 10:05 |  #4823

Getting closer and sooner to post here, i ordered a MAK and hope to figure it out and put it on use to show here.

Galleries:
http://hamrani.deviant​art.com/gallery/external link
Gear List
Facebookexternal link

Inspeqtor
I never knew that!
Joined Mar 2008
Elkhart, Indiana
Feb 08, 2018 10:12 |  #4824

nero_design wrote in post #18559243 (external link)
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by nero_design in
./showthread.php?p=185​59243&i=i113594378
forum: Astronomy & Celestial

Jupiter is next to the moon at the moment. I took this picture from my doorstep this morning and dragged Jupiter closer to the moon in Photoshop to get it in frame and show the scale ... as it wasn't quite this close. The top image is a 100% crop. taken with three shots ... The Moon, Jupiter and the Jovian moons required three different exposures. I tried to combine some images because the heat in the air was causing the moon to shimmer.... but each shot was so radically different to the next that I ended up just using a single image of the moon.

I used the following mounted to a Manfrotto Tripod and used the 10 second self timer (for a change) to reduce camera shake.

Canon EOS M6 mirrorless camera with APS-C sensor (1.61x crop factor).
Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM II lens at 400mm
Canon EF 2x III Extender
Canon EF 12 TeleExtender
Canon EF 1.4x III Extender.

Surprisingly the Autofocus worked fine with this massive combo... and I used the moon for focus before snapping Jupiter. I blended 4 shots of Jupiter in Photoshop to reduce noise and enhance the cloud bands. There's a bit of heat in the air so the getting a sharp result was tough. Canon doesn't want us to stack extenders and so I had to use the EF 12 Tele-Extender between them to be able to stack the 2x and 1.4x extenders together.

I really need to buy a telescope with an EQ mount and Auto-guide for this sort of thing.

thumbnailHosted photo: posted by nero_design in
./showthread.php?p=185​59243&i=i71351978
forum: Astronomy & Celestial

Excellent photos!

I never knew about the Canon 12 TeleExtender... what magnification does that add to the mix?

The 2.0 and 1.2/1.4 I understand.. the 2 doubles the focal length, 1.2 or 1.4 multiplies it by the amount of the number.
Surely the 12 does not make a 200MM lens 2400MM!?!?

I am also surprised the cost of the 12 is so low.

Charles
Canon EOS 60D Gripped * Canon EOS XSi * Flickr Account (external link)
Tokina AT-X Pro DX 11-20 f/2.8 * Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 DC Macro OS * Sigma 150-500 f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM
Canon 18-55 IS Kit Lens * Canon 70-300 IS USM * Canon 50mm f1.8 * Canon 580EX II

Inspeqtor
I never knew that!
Joined Mar 2008
Elkhart, Indiana
Feb 08, 2018 10:13 |  #4825

Tareq wrote in post #18559284 (external link)
Getting closer and sooner to post here, i ordered a MAK and hope to figure it out and put it on use to show here.

What is a MAK?

Charles
Canon EOS 60D Gripped * Canon EOS XSi * Flickr Account (external link)
Tokina AT-X Pro DX 11-20 f/2.8 * Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 DC Macro OS * Sigma 150-500 f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM
Canon 18-55 IS Kit Lens * Canon 70-300 IS USM * Canon 50mm f1.8 * Canon 580EX II

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
14,146 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Feb 08, 2018 10:16 |  #4826

Inspeqtor wrote in post #18559292 (external link)
Excellent photos!

I never knew about the Canon 12 TeleExtender... what magnification does that add to the mix?

The 2.0 and 1.2/1.4 I understand.. the 2 doubles the focal length, 1.2 or 1.4 multiplies it by the amount of the number.

I think it's just a basic macro extension required to fit the 1.4iii with 2.0iii since they both protrude.

Sony A7rii/A7riii - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - CV 35/1.7 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 35-70, 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8, 24/1.4 - Tamron 28-75 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 VC

nero_design
Joined Nov 2012
Sydney, Australia
Feb 08, 2018 11:14 |  #4827

Inspeqtor wrote in post #18559292 (external link)
Excellent photos!

The EF 12 TeleExtender is just an empty tube that acts as a spacer. It has electrical contacts to allow the lens to AF and the construction is sound. Without it, the new Mk III Extenders can't stack together. The older ones can (Mk II) but not the newer ones. Alone, the EF 12 TeleExtender allows almost any lens to become a Macro lens... bu increasing the gap between the rear element of the lens used and the camera sensor. It's surprisingly effective but you can't leave it on if you want to use the lens for normal (non Macro) work. I have no idea if the EF 12 TeleExtender increases the magnification of the image though. I'd like to know though.

nero_design
Joined Nov 2012
Sydney, Australia
Feb 08, 2018 11:21 as a reply to Inspeqtor's post |  #4828

Probably a Maksutov type telescope. The abbreviation is usually MAK. I use a small Maksutov type spotting scope sometimes but I really want a proper, decent Mak with a quality EQ mount to track the skies for longer than usual exposures. If you use one to track the Moon, all your images will be quite well aligned... and very easy to stack to remove noise and distortion. There's a few REALLY NICE examples in this thread from memory.

Tomi ­ Hawk
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2006
Sin City, Vegas
Feb 08, 2018 15:18 |  #4829

nero_design wrote in post #18559358 (external link)
The EF 12 TeleExtender is just an empty tube that acts as a spacer. It has electrical contacts to allow the lens to AF and the construction is sound. Without it, the new Mk III Extenders can't stack together. The older ones can (Mk II) but not the newer ones. Alone, the EF 12 TeleExtender allows almost any lens to become a Macro lens... bu increasing the gap between the rear element of the lens used and the camera sensor. It's surprisingly effective but you can't leave it on if you want to use the lens for normal (non Macro) work. I have no idea if the EF 12 TeleExtender increases the magnification of the image though. I'd like to know though.

Fabulous info, thanks ... nice that I have the MkII lol ... is the MkIII rrrrreally that much better in the 1.2/1.4?
I just cant justify it price wise ...

nero_design
Joined Nov 2012
Sydney, Australia
Post has been edited 16 days ago by nero_design.
Feb 08, 2018 17:16 |  #4830

Tomi Hawk wrote in post #18559491 (external link)
Fabulous info, thanks ... nice that I have the MkII lol ... is the MkIII rrrrreally that much better in the 1.2/1.4?
I just cant justify it price wise ...

HOSTED PHOTO
A comparison of what to expect with these Extenders on an APS-C camera (I was using an early EOS-M Mk1 camera at the time). The use of two Mk III Extenders requires a spacer to allow them to fit together. I chose the Canon EF 12 TeleExtender but the cheaper 3rd Party versions work just as well since they're essentially empty tubes.

Hi Tomi, I haven't used the Mk II Extenders but they are reputed to be slightly softer, which is why Canon redesigned them for the Mk III release. The newer 1.4x and 2x Mk III Extenders are touted by Canon to be sharper and sport the new Super Spectra nano-Coatings and Fluorine coatings to improve image quality and reduce ghosting and flares. There's also physical changes such as a whiter finish to match the newest White L-series lenses and a more rigid/solid construction. The same applies to the differences between the older Mk 1 version of the 100-400mmL lens and the newer version (which improves on sharpness). Based on some not-too-hot reviews of the Mk II Extenders, I held off buying any at all because I was assured that they would "soften" my images and reduce image quality. But after speaking to several owners (here!) and also to Canon directly, I bought the EF 1.4x III Extender... and was suitably impressed by my own tests to immediately purchase the EF 2x III Extender. I feel they're worth it although on a DSLR the AF speeds are cut down by the microprocessor in the Extenders to ensure more accuracy (according to Canon). However, if you need an increase in magnification, I believe they can be very useful. I bought them for Astro use to fill in for me until I could get a really decent telescope. I've since been using them for Surfing and Nature shots.

In relation to justifying the price, I think you'd feel bad buying yet another set of Extenders... but yes, there's a difference in image quality and the new built-in microprocessors on the new Mk III Extenders are said to make a considerable difference. I imaging that using them on older lenses won't make much difference but if you shoot with any of the newer lenses (including the EF 100-400mmL II) then you ought to notice improvements.

HOSTED PHOTO
[ABOVE]: Taken with the EOS 6D + 100-400mmL II + EF 1.4x III - slightly cropped.

A partial moon was rising and I caught the distortion from the horizon as it crept up over Sydney's western suburbs. Photographed from a lookout at the base of the Sydney Blue Mountains almost exactly a year ago. One of first times I used the Extenders.

sponsored links

910,387 views & 3438 likes for this thread
The Official Shoot the Moon Thread
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.