Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers
Thread started 08 Feb 2018 (Thursday) 11:40
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Using a Surface Pro Tablet to go through photos?

southwestform
59 posts
Joined Sep 2014
Feb 08, 2018 11:40 |  #1

I am a Mac user and currently put the SD card from my 5dm3 into my MacBook Pro and go through and delete photos before transferring them all to my iMac where I maintain my primary catalog. I'm thinking of getting a Surface Pro Tablet to replace the MacBook Pro. Curious to hear anyone's thoughts on using Lightroom on a Surface Pro Tablet for culling photos, making adjustments to show someone, etc. before transferring them to another computer.

Thanks in advance.

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2009
The Rhubarb Triangle
Feb 08, 2018 13:45 |  #2

southwestform wrote in post #18559371 (external link)
I am a Mac user and currently put the SD card from my 5dm3 into my MacBook Pro and go through and delete photos before transferring them all to my iMac where I maintain my primary catalog. I'm thinking of getting a Surface Pro Tablet to replace the MacBook Pro. Curious to hear anyone's thoughts on using Lightroom on a Surface Pro Tablet for culling photos, making adjustments to show someone, etc. before transferring them to another computer.

Thanks in advance.

Sounds like a rather convoluted way of working. Why not just cull them on the Mac?

Some days I'm the dog, some days I'm the lamppost.

Archibald
You must be quackers!
Joined May 2008
Calgary
Feb 08, 2018 14:34 |  #3

Will Lightroom even run on a Surface Pro Tablet? Not challenging, I don't know.

A couple years ago I tried using an Android tablet for photo storage and culling. It kind of worked but was very inconvenient. Maybe the MS tablet is better.

Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

ldn323
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2006
Feb 08, 2018 19:48 as a reply to Archibald's post |  #4

I have a Surface Pro 4 for travel. It is a rather low end model, e.g. i5 CPU, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD. LR runs on it fine if you don't have a massive amount of photos to go through (and don't expect lightning fast response from it). Given a choice, I'd go for at least 8 GB RAM. However, I got this one for a price that no sane person would reject :-) ... so, it is what it is.

Linh

Linh - My Flickr (external link)
1Dx, 7D Mark II, XTi, Fuji X100s, Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS II, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II, Canon 24-105mm f/4 L IS, Canon 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, Canon 1.4X II, Canon 2x III

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2012
Bowie, MD
Feb 10, 2018 10:35 |  #5

Archibald wrote in post #18559472 (external link)
Will Lightroom even run on a Surface Pro Tablet? Not challenging, I don't know.

A couple years ago I tried using an Android tablet for photo storage and culling. It kind of worked but was very inconvenient. Maybe the MS tablet is better.

Why wouldn't it? There is a massive difference between an android tablet and a Surface Pro... the Surface Pro is just a laptop in tablet form, it runs on Windows 10.

ldn323 wrote in post #18559642 (external link)
I have a Surface Pro 4 for travel. It is a rather low end model, e.g. i5 CPU, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD. LR runs on it fine if you don't have a massive amount of photos to go through (and don't expect lightning fast response from it). Given a choice, I'd go for at least 8 GB RAM. However, I got this one for a price that no sane person would reject :-) ... so, it is what it is.

Linh

I have the same model, works fine for me. LR is slow on basically everything because it's not well optimized. There are things you can change in the preferences that make a huge difference, look up a guide online.

Personal I switched to Capture One recently largely because of how much faster it works on my Surface than LR does.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // XF 60mm f2.4 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

239 views & 1 like for this thread
Using a Surface Pro Tablet to go through photos?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.