Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 05 Feb 2018 (Monday) 20:01
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Online Scams (Be Careful)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,816 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been last edited 13 days ago by TeamSpeed. 3 edits done in total.
Feb 08, 2018 08:52 as a reply to post 18559227 |  #46

There is no way to look up a pay as you go phone by somebody's name and address unless that person registered it somewhere. The pieces don't fit. Paypal will send out "hey did you really mean to pay for something" texts or emails as transactions hit your account. You have to have a phone number on an account, and once they have it, you cannot delete it. You can override it with a new number, but subject to verification.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

sponsored links
normware
Joined Apr 2014
Ottawa Canada
Feb 08, 2018 08:57 as a reply to TeamSpeed's post |  #47

I seem to recall that it was "registered" it when it was first acquired (see 3rd or 4th post).

Canon 6D II - Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art - Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM C - Sigma 12-24mm f/4 DG HSM Art - Tamron 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 Di VC PZD | Coming soon Rokinon 85MM with chip
Canon M5 - EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM - EF-M 18-150mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM
Luminar 2018 , Aurora HDR 2018, Creative Kit 2018

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,816 posts
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been last edited 13 days ago by TeamSpeed. 7 edits done in total.
Feb 08, 2018 08:58 |  #48

normware wrote in post #18559244 (external link)
I seem to recall that it was "registered" it when it was first acquired (see 3rd or 4th post).

Once registered, always registered.... you cannot delete a phone number from Paypal. You can try to override it with a new number, but it has to be verified.

However "registered" in the early replies was simply activation of the phone with the carrier, and not with paypal...

Later, it was stated that the home main phone is the only registered number with paypal.

So if texts are purported to have come from Paypal, then there is a process with paypal to notify them of the spoofed texts, and they can investigate it further. The phone number is registered somewhere with one of the parties or services utilized within the purchase chain (either the seller, or the store portal that the seller is going through or paypal).

Nobody is going to reasonably be able to take the transaction details within hours and match it to this phone WITHOUT the phone number being stored somewhere to the person's name and/or address and send a "no action, just a warning" text message to this number about the details. There is no gain in this.

4 letter online store with sellers inside it, so I assume we are talking about ebay? Ebay profile with a purchase made to a seller inside ebay, using paypal to make a payment.... Is this correct? If so, is the phone number registered in the Ebay profile? If so, remember that ebay and paypal were one company in the past, and they had shared data...

Sideshot
87 posts
Joined Nov 2017
Feb 08, 2018 10:01 |  #49

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18558477 (external link)
But, Sideshot, if it is indeed #1, then how can you possibly explain the following?

yeah, he must of been hacked.

I would toss the phone(that's what "burner" phones are for) and delete the Paypal and Ebay and make new ones. I stopped using Ebay and PP due to the amount of scams and PP/Ebay lack of care or security towards it.

The most probable Paypal hack is a fake gateway but.. A lot of times these days large databases are getting hacked and places like ebay, paypal do not disclose the hack. You info might of been harvested beyond your own control.

The internet is the wild west, everyday millions of 3rd world scum get online and try to scam. They can buy massive databases of stolen data and personal info for pennies then try to figure out how to scam money with it.

normware
Joined Apr 2014
Ottawa Canada
Feb 08, 2018 10:13 |  #50

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18559247 (external link)
Once registered, always registered.... you cannot delete a phone number from Paypal. You can try to override it with a new number, but it has to be verified.

However "registered" in the early replies was simply activation of the phone with the carrier, and not with paypal...

Later, it was stated that the home main phone is the only registered number with paypal.

So if texts are purported to have come from Paypal, then there is a process with paypal to notify them of the spoofed texts, and they can investigate it further. The phone number is registered somewhere with one of the parties or services utilized within the purchase chain (either the seller, or the store portal that the seller is going through or paypal).

Nobody is going to reasonably be able to take the transaction details within hours and match it to this phone WITHOUT the phone number being stored somewhere to the person's name and/or address and send a "no action, just a warning" text message to this number about the details. There is no gain in this.

4 letter online store with sellers inside it, so I assume we are talking about ebay? Ebay profile with a purchase made to a seller inside ebay, using paypal to make a payment.... Is this correct? If so, is the phone number registered in the Ebay profile? If so, remember that ebay and paypal were one company in the past, and they had shared data...

I wrote that it may have been the seller's email/server/computer/​account that was hacked - not PayPal or eBay. The seller would have all the eBay /PayPal info about the transaction. It would then be easy to get a "registered" number from the cell phone provider where the phone was registered.

Canon 6D II - Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art - Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM C - Sigma 12-24mm f/4 DG HSM Art - Tamron 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 Di VC PZD | Coming soon Rokinon 85MM with chip
Canon M5 - EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM - EF-M 18-150mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM
Luminar 2018 , Aurora HDR 2018, Creative Kit 2018

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,816 posts
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been last edited 12 days ago by TeamSpeed. 10 edits done in total.
Feb 08, 2018 10:44 as a reply to normware's post |  #51

1. The phone number was supposedly never entered into anything, so this doesn't follow.

2. What was the exact content of the text again? What was the intended scam? I am not going to scam you with a text that says "hey, did you mean to send money to XXXX for $YYYY". There has to be a payload, a link, something otherwise this is stupidest scammer on the planet.

With what was stated, and the content supplied in a text, it appears there is no logical path that can be drawn that this was some well-engineered new kind of scam. This means the facts aren't the facts, or info supplied is incomplete.

So far based on what I had read, this is supposedly the scam process here.

I am a scammer. I have hacked into an ebay seller's account (or whatever seller), and see that some customer Pagman has purchased something. I have his personal info, like name and address. But darn, no phone number.

Well shoot, let me do some research on the personal info supplied. Okay I have hit paypal hacked info. Drat, foiled again, no phone number there either. Let me hit the darkweb and see. Drat, this guy is smart, nothing there either.

Okay, let me hack all the pay as you go service providers to see. Ah ha, I found this O2 provider has a phone for him. Bingo! I have him now.

I am going to send him some texts, hmmm, what should I put in the contents to hack his accounts, his life, his family, his bank.... I know, I will tell him to be aware that he purchased something from this seller for $XXX dollars. That will give me everything I need to empty his accounts. That will show him, and I will have some spending money this weekend!

Really? Again we are missing something, facts or details not disclosed.

Is this scenario likely, or is it more that this phone number was indeed entered somewhere at some time in the past into the accounts used in this transaction, and since the account perhaps wasn't used very often, system texts went out warning about a purchase that was just made?

Maybe I am the only one that has missed some important detail and this has corrupted my assessment. Has happened before... :D

Pagman
THREAD ­ STARTER
I just hold the thing :-)
Joined Dec 2011
Feb 08, 2018 12:13 |  #52

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18559325 (external link)
1. The phone number was supposedly never entered into anything, so that doesn't follow with your supposition.

2. What was the exact content of the text again? What was the intended scam?

It was a couple of transactions from different sellers within Ebay both completed about the same time certainly within an hour of each other, both transactions sent the normal and correct email purchase confirmation emails inlcuding the ones from paypal (this is quite normal and have always recieved these to my registered email account.
All that was correct and completely normal, it was later that evening when my wife turned on the spare cell phone (that she uses as a radio) then she saw several text messages.

These are the content -

From 62226

(PayPal)A - xxxx amount GBS transaction with xxxx on 5th February 2018 was marked as suspicious.
Please reply "1" if authorised or "2" if not authorised.

Sender 62226
Message Centre +447802000332

The spare phone (that the text messages came through on) was purchased several years ago from a large retail store I guess similar to Walmart the store is called Tesco it included a sim card I understand Tesco do not have thier own telephony so they must borrow or rent the line possibly from O2?, it was activated with Tesco but Never attached to any other online application only Tesco.
We never bothered to put credit on it as we got new cell phone soon after from a different company.

The only people who had the old number was Tesco.

Paypal have never had the old number nore have Ebay infact when I went into Paypal to check things over and went through the set up of canceling my bank from paypal, they sent through a confirmation code to my corect and registered phone with them, not the spare one.

P.

Olympus E-M1 and some Zuiko glass

PMGphotog
342 posts
Joined Jul 2011
Glasgow, Scotland
Post has been edited 12 days ago by PMGphotog.
Feb 08, 2018 12:57 as a reply to Pagman's post |  #53

That short code number is associated with Paypal after all.

http://pages.ebay.co.u​k ...paypal/comparepaypa​l.html (external link)

On that page Ebay/Paypal show you how to send money to a friend's number using 62226 and when I looked it up elsewhere it turns out that you get charged 20p per reply if you text back to it ( this was from a UK shortcode/number lookup site )

Then I was thinking back to when I worked for o2 and both Giff/Gaff and some Tesco PAYG mobiles used to use the o2 network as a carrier so that would explain the o2 message centre number.

So what that suggests is that the text was legit, however would have cost you to reply to and further to that your mobile must have been registered with Paypal at some point.

I'd not worry about it being a scam but as long as the transactions went through and you got your items then not replying to the texts didn't do any harm. ( If I was in your shoes I'd not have replied to them either. )

Oh and just as an aside, my wife has in the past used my business mobile to register online and meant to tell me but forgot then a while later it was getting all sorts of rubbish text messages ;)

Canon EOS 1000d /60d : 18-55mm IS kit lens. Canon 50mm 1.8 MK2. Tamron 55-200mm F4-5.6, battery grip to make my cam look pro..and 30mm Sigma F1.4 recently added
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/patmcguire2011/external link

Pagman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Dec 2011
Feb 08, 2018 13:02 |  #54

PMGphotog wrote in post #18559417 (external link)
That short code number is associated with Paypal after all.

http://pages.ebay.co.u​k ...paypal/comparepaypa​l.html (external link)

On that page Ebay/Paypal show you how to send money to a friend's number using 62226 and when I looked it up elsewhere it turns out that you get charged 20p per reply if you text back to it ( this was from a UK shortcode/number lookup site )

Then I was thinking back to when I worked for o2 and both Giff/Gaff and some Tesco PAYG mobiles used to use the o2 network as a carrier so that would explain the o2 message centre number.

So what that suggests is that the text was legit, however would have cost you to reply to and further to that your mobile must have been registered with Paypal at some point.

I'd not worry about it being a scam but as long as the transactions went through and you got your items then not replying to the texts didn't do any harm. ( If I was in your shoes I'd not have replied to them either. )

Oh and just as an aside, my wife has in the past used my business mobile to register online and meant to tell me but forgot then a while later it was getting all sorts of rubbish text messages ;)

But - After contacting Paypal through thier internal email service, they contacted us back a couple of days after the messages denying any knowledge of the text messages they also told us its simply something they do not and would not do.
So who is doing this on behalf of paypal if its not paypal (they told us it wasn't them and they are investigating it)

P.

PMGphotog
342 posts
Joined Jul 2011
Glasgow, Scotland
Feb 08, 2018 13:10 |  #55

Pagman wrote in post #18559422 (external link)
But - After contacting Paypal through thier internal email service, they contacted us back a couple of days after the messages denying any knowledge of the text messages they also told us its simply something they do not and would not do.
So who is doing this on behalf of paypal if its not paypal (they told us it wasn't them and they are investigating it)

P.

Ah forgot about that part, sorry.

I'm still intrigued though and think that rather than a scam it's perhaps an automated legacy system that PP used to use and somehow got triggered in error, or something else along those lines. Still it's better to be safe than sorry.

Canon EOS 1000d /60d : 18-55mm IS kit lens. Canon 50mm 1.8 MK2. Tamron 55-200mm F4-5.6, battery grip to make my cam look pro..and 30mm Sigma F1.4 recently added
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/patmcguire2011/external link

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,816 posts
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been last edited 12 days ago by TeamSpeed. 8 edits done in total.
Feb 08, 2018 14:53 |  #56

Paypal does indeed send things like this, because I have paypal notifications thru text any time money leaves it. It doesn't however give 1 or 2 as options, but each country may have different implementations based on consumer laws.

Paypal support is also very questionable. I had to escalate an issue several times until somebody in the tech dept completely negated everything I was told up to that point and showed me where the functions moved to in the recent upgrade. The feature I was looking for was a very critical one as a seller, and it wasn't logical that they removed it when they updated the UI. I went through 3 different people until somebody knowledgeable about the actual application we all use dug into the issue.

Interestingly on my business account, I cannot even turn off the notifications that money has left the account or a card was used at a store. It is checked and grayed out for me.

Pagman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Dec 2011
Feb 08, 2018 17:16 |  #57

Its not a physical problem now as the items arrived all good, but it just seems strange how the text messages came through on a cell phone that was only ever set up/registered with Tesco, and when we did get a text message that we were expecting regarding removing our bank from paypal, that came through to the correct cell phone that we set up years ago with paypal and is still current.

Very Odd.

P.

Tessa
Playing with fire
Joined Sep 2008
Estonia
Feb 09, 2018 01:40 |  #58

About the pay-as-you-go part - I'm guessing the number you got with the phone was probably used by someone else before. They stopped using it, it lay dormant for a while, then was given out again. Hence the "history".

Gallery (external link)

sponsored links

2,027 views & 20 likes for this thread
Online Scams (Be Careful)
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.