Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 03 Jan 2018 (Wednesday) 08:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

6D mark II...Did we make a mistake?

welshwizard1971
Goldmember
1,321 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Feb 07, 2018 14:25 |  #211

Stunned to see people claiming Apple have better battery life, they're famously poor at this, they prefer smaller batteries to have slimmer devices, they've always compromised function over form in this regard, same as the ipads and lap tops. My wife needs to charge her iphone twice a day, my Android Sony, I can comfortably go to three days of moderate use.

I also see the iPhone X claimed as being the best in the business, not in any review I've ever read.

As for 'Apple won' t release a 4k screen until the battery life is good enough as they don't like letting down customers with sub standard products', sorry but that's baloney. My phone HAS a 4k screen, and the battery life is far better than any Apple. Only Apple could claim the product is compromised on purpose in order to offer a better product, and have people believe them. To drag this back on track, perhaps Canon should claim the 6D II has a deliberately crippled DR to protect customers with poor monitors from a sub standard experience...

Oh, and the advice to buy the 5ds as it's supported is wrong, it won't accept the latest OS, only 6 and up are supported.

I'd also question how good Apples support is, the warranty is only 12 months, all the competition is 24 months or more, so I should hope the help is good as chances are you're paying through the nose for it, having paid a premium price for the product in the first place...

5DIII, 40D, 16-35L 35 ART 50 ART 100L macro, 24-70 L Mk2, 135L 200L 70-200L f4 IS
Hype chimping - The act of looking at your screen after every shot, then wildly behaving like it's the best picture in the world, to try and impress other photographers around you.

sponsored links
RodS57
660 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Feb 07, 2018 16:09 |  #212

Charlie wrote in post #18558685 (external link)
but the counter argument is that you'de have to assume that all other smartphones are using the same messenger app

and there's the tablet factor. Ipad is the most popular tablet I think (yes I'm projecting). Tablet users are using Facetime/imessenger.

the vast segmentation of messenger products vs guaranteed integration of FaceTime, makes it a huge force to be reckoned with.

whatsapp may be popular in europe, but not really in china, where their own brand is popular.... stuff like that is what makes Facetime very universal even if locked into brand. Whatsapp and viber dont run on tablets, and that market is significant. Facebook messenger can possibly reach even further than Facetime, but it's not default on most devices and having to install a separate program for FB and messenger, automatically makes it clunky.

You keep making these bold blanket statements about what everyone in the world uses and you are an apple fan. Nothing wrong with that. Bear in mind that I do not consider myself a good sample of any population.

I have
1 iPad. I have never used FaceTime or sent a text message with this tablet. I am using it now.
1 iPhone. A hand-me-down. The wife now uses a samsung. Again I have never used FaceTime but have sent text messages. iMessage I guess. Everyone in my family has moved away from apple products.
1 Samsung tablet, just used to surf like this iPad
And my favourite, my 11 year old flip phone. I use to it to make phone calls. What a concept! Bet Samsung didn't see that one coming.

Rod

Ps: don't take offence, it's all good fun.

>>> Pictures? What pictures? <<<<

SixDeeFan
THREAD ­ STARTER
258 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2014
Post edited 3 months ago by SixDeeFan.

Feb 08, 2018 17:17 |  #213

Wow! Where did my thread go? (I do like my iPhone 7 plus, however)!

6D MARK II | EF 50 f/1.2L USM | EF 16-35 f/4L IS USM | Tamron SP 24-70 f/2.8 DI VC G2 | Tamron SP 70-200 f/2.8 Di VC G2 | Tamron SP 2X Pro TC | Tamron TAP-in Console

Drk ­ Orange
599 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Apr 2004

Feb 08, 2018 17:49 |  #214

eddieb1 wrote in post #18532496 (external link)
It does get a bit ridiculous when a camera is the best thing since sliced bread one month, and the following month is junk just because a new model comes out. Trying to keep up with new equipment is a fast and easy way to go bankrupt.

There seems to be a dismissal of old equipment outright merely because it's "old". The number of times someone asks a question along the lines of "I have a budget of $1000 and can't decide between "New camera X and new camera Y", and dismiss suggestions of "A second hand 5D-II will be a better camera than the ones you want, and be a lot cheaper" because they want a new one.

My 5D-ii is getting long in the tooth, but it does everything I need it to do, and being old and worthless, I can take it places I'd not take a new one.

welshwizard1971
Goldmember
1,321 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Feb 08, 2018 18:12 |  #215

Worth saying some of the best landscape pics I've ever seen were taken on the original 5D....

5DIII, 40D, 16-35L 35 ART 50 ART 100L macro, 24-70 L Mk2, 135L 200L 70-200L f4 IS
Hype chimping - The act of looking at your screen after every shot, then wildly behaving like it's the best picture in the world, to try and impress other photographers around you.

Cham_001
874 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 08, 2018 18:49 |  #216

Drk Orange wrote in post #18559583 (external link)
There seems to be a dismissal of old equipment outright merely because it's "old". The number of times someone asks a question along the lines of "I have a budget of $1000 and can't decide between "New camera X and new camera Y", and dismiss suggestions of "A second hand 5D-II will be a better camera than the ones you want, and be a lot cheaper" because they want a new one.

My 5D-ii is getting long in the tooth, but it does everything I need it to do, and being old and worthless, I can take it places I'd not take a new one.

----
^^ AGREED ^^

These are precisely the points, say relating to camera-bodies only:-
1.) New Buyer:- decides on a budget spend and requires advice to buy the 'best-possible...' within that budget.
Hence, these Threads/Posts in this Forum looking for enlightenment and guidance from you seasoned Pro's/Experts/...etc

2.) Existing User(s):- Content with not upgrading to 'the next version/model' because you already know and trust your kit to replicate stunning images.
For them, there is neither an incentive nor compulsion to 'upgrade' as the new camera-body feature-set/specs do not warrant it.

For whatever reason(s) (rightly or wrongly), photogs wanting to 'up-their-game' will always prefer to buy new if that budget is available to them.
A new camera-body is considered to be 'current', 'fully-featured' and to an extent assured of some degree of being future-proofed.
This is what makes a New purchase desirable, irrespective of 'older' camera models being 'better'.

E.g. someone with a hole burning in their pocket with an available budget of circa. £3,000 will probably opt for the 5D-IV (for example),
when in reality the 5Diii might actually be perfectly suited for that photog's purposes. We cannot dictate that, we can only suggest it!

Admittedly, I bought the 6Dii in December (boxed & brand new), changed my mind and swapped this for the 5D-IV which arrived in January and is still boxed and unused
I am waiting to take this back to Bulgaria. I know that 40%+ of the feature-set will never be used!! (all those various Menu customisations/Setting​s will be daunting!).
So, this means that I should not upgrade the 5D-IV for at least 3 years from now. In which time I should commit to learning and taming this beast.
If you see Posts from me requesting advice on newer camera-bodies from Canon before 2021 - then kindly refer me back to this Post.

"... with a clear perspective - the confusion is clearer ..."
Body: Canon 5D-IV
Lenses: 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM
Flashguns: 580ex II x 4, MT24 macro flash
Accessories: Pkt Wiz TT5 x 4, AC3, MiniTT1, Sekonic L-758DR
Studio Lights: <... pending ...>

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
2,290 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 09, 2018 06:20 |  #217

welshwizard1971 wrote in post #18559600 (external link)
Worth saying some of the best landscape pics I've ever seen were taken on the original 5D....

So if you want to display in a gallery at 8 feet wide, how would that compare to a 5Ds?

What if it was only 2 feet, and you needed to do some rotation or other editing that requires resampling? Low pixel resolutions show their weakness much more readily when any resampling needs to be done; that eye-candy of high-contrast neighbor pixels becomes problematic in resampling, because those well-loved and inconsistent pixel transients need to either be softened, or pushed to the wrong place (distorted).

I'm sure the 5Ds would do better in either scenario, except maybe the 5D has slightly better color separation, but color separation has been coming back in the more recent Canons. The successor to the 5Ds may very well have similar or even better color separation than the 5D.

At this point in time, I'd consider the strong point of the 5D to be wide angles available in generic FF, at a low used price.

Drk ­ Orange
599 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Apr 2004

Feb 10, 2018 02:23 |  #218

John Sheehy wrote in post #18559861 (external link)
So if you want to display in a gallery at 8 feet wide, how would that compare to a 5Ds?

The average person asking for camera recommendations isn't likely going to be displaying the resulting images as 8' prints in a gallery though.

John Sheehy wrote in post #18559861 (external link)
At this point in time, I'd consider the strong point of the 5D to be wide angles available in generic FF, at a low used price.

Phenominal value for money. You can buy a second-hand 5D-II and 24-70 f/2.8 mk-II for the same price as a new 6D-II body.

I'd go 5D-ii + 24-70 over 6D-II with kit lens any day of the week.

Sure, if you want stuff like Wifi, bluetooth, touchscreen etc. then yes, maybe a 6D-II is worth looking at but if you just want a camera that takes great pictures, a second hand 5D-II will deliver that, with about 20% reduction in specs (MP, FPS, buffer etc) for a quarter of the price.

And if you don't like it, you flip it for minimal loss of money and buy the camera you were initially considering.

sponsored links

18,753 views & 246 likes for this thread
6D mark II...Did we make a mistake?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.