Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 18 Oct 2012 (Thursday) 16:17
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Profoto Users! Post and share images

AnnieMacD
Oops, me again
Joined Aug 2012
Applecross, Scotland
Feb 01, 2018 10:13 |  #346

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

flickrexternal link

sponsored links
happy2010
Looking for the light first
559 posts
Joined Feb 2011
Post has been edited 19 days ago by happy2010.
Feb 01, 2018 12:40 |  #347

Looking good AnnieMacD!

Thank you for sharing it.
Short lighting always adds such captivating intrigue/drama to an image -nice capture of a beautiful young woman.

This following comment is just in the spirit of objective, constructive feedback (& is in no way a criticism)…
Obviously the lighting depends on the desired look you wished to achieve, but perhaps one of your nifty A1’s for a hair/background combo (for a bit more separation) and perhaps a smallish reflector camera right for a hint of fill (just to reveal to the viewer a bit more info/shape of the subjects lovely appearance).

Just one view...

Mary

MARY

AnnieMacD
Oops, me again
Joined Aug 2012
Applecross, Scotland
Feb 01, 2018 13:46 |  #348

happy2010 wrote in post #18554125 (external link)
Looking good AnnieMacD!

Thank you for sharing it.
Short lighting always adds such captivating intrigue/drama to an image -nice capture of a beautiful young woman.

This following comment is just in the spirit of objective, constructive feedback (& is in no way a criticism)…
Obviously the lighting depends on the desired look you wished to achieve, but perhaps one of your nifty A1’s for a hair/background combo (for a bit more separation) and perhaps a smallish reflector camera right for a hint of fill (just to reveal to the viewer a bit more info/shape of the subjects lovely appearance).

Just one view...

Mary

Thanks, Mary. Of course you are absolutely correct and normally I would do both the things you suggested but I was trying to recreate the photo on the cover of this book The Dramatic Portrait (external link). I think I should have had her a bit closer to the background (grey) or angled the Profoto Medium umbrella (with diffuser) more obliquely or used a larger umbrella. But it is what it is and she was game to stay on a bit after a photo session to humour me! I totally agree that her hair needs some separation from the background. It was fun though! I'll keep trying.

Hope you are doing well. I've been largely absent from POTN as I'm pretty busy - which is a good thing!

flickrexternal link

happy2010
559 posts
Joined Feb 2011
Post has been last edited 18 days ago by happy2010. 6 edits done in total.
Feb 01, 2018 15:40 |  #349

Hi Annie,

No justification required, the image was fine as is. Keep on clicking!

Yep, I've observed over time and try to incorporate almost always shadows into portraits, as the shadows significantly contribute to the "soul" of most photographs, after of course the important element the eyes. The shadows are a market-differentiator that separates you from all the "want-to-be" photographers and causes the client to be compelled by your works (even though they may not realize why they like the image, they are drawn to it over other images).

I too find, that increasingly it seems subjects (young, or old) have less patience for photography; not willing to invest their time into the process of which they are an important part of; even with respectful coaching. I will be studying & thinking about this newish trending phenomena & strategizing how best to adapt my management skills to indirectly help the client achieve a good photography. Everyone wanting everything instantly.

Oh well I guess that’s the world in which we all now live.
for example - The Millennial Marriage Proposal:
https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=wTIpt65Ns24 (external link) (2:46 minute funny video)

All is great here, life is always good!
My schedule is busy too (“me too”), I was just checking in on POTN’s the last while, for a break.

Cheers & happy shooting.

Mary

P.S.
FYI - I swallowed and bought an A1 for its Profoto air-remote integration-feature with my B1’s & D2’s to try (sold my 4x D1Air-500’s; upgraded from the Canon mkIII's to the mkIV, rather than a tempting Nikon D850); the A1 arrives from B&H Photo tomorrow. I’m a bit concerned the A1 may not be as powerful as a Canon 600EX-RT /Nikon speedlight, because of a Youtube video I viewed (in which it was metered about 1-stop less than a Nikon speedlight). All the Profoto A1 videos seemed more hype than substance. Time will tell.
(Just like the clique: “there are three sides to every story – yours, mine, and the facts”. haha). I think a Profoto 75-100ws speedlight would be a great power-range, as a flexible compact solution.

MARY

RicoTudor
516 posts
Joined Jul 2014
Chicago, IL
Feb 01, 2018 17:53 |  #350

AnnieMacD wrote in post #18554160 (external link)
normally I would do both the things you suggested but I was trying to recreate the photo on the cover of this book ...

It looks great as-is! We live in an era where people are afraid of their own shadow, so shooting portrait with those opaque spaces requires some fortitude. Looking at the masters of Baroque painting (always my inspiration), one will see plenty of dramatic lighting, no fill. I'm partial to ratios between 1:3 and 1:5—although that doesn't fly with the passport office. :)

Canon, Nikon, Contax, Leica, Sony, Profoto.

F2Bthere
793 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Feb 01, 2018 20:57 |  #351

happy2010 wrote in post #18554219 (external link)
FYI - I swallowed and bought an A1 for its Profoto air-remote integration-feature with my B1’s & D2’s to try (sold my 4x D1Air-500’s; upgraded from the Canon mkIII's to the mkIV, rather than a tempting Nikon D850); the A1 arrives from B&H Photo tomorrow. I’m a bit concerned the A1 may not be as powerful as a Canon 600EX-RT /Nikon speedlight, because of a Youtube video I viewed (in which it was metered about 1-stop less than a Nikon speedlight). All the Profoto A1 videos seemed more hype than substance. Time will tell.
(Just like the clique: “there are three sides to every story – yours, mine, and the facts”. haha). I think a Profoto 75-100ws speedlight would be a great power-range, as a flexible compact solution.

I'm not a Profoto user. I did have a chance to play with the A1.

If I were a Profoto user, I would own the A1, even if it is one stop lower than the Nikon. I suspect part of the reason it has less power is the round head design is slightly less efficient. But it appears to give a better throw of light in exchange for this drop in power, which would be an good compromise for me for an on-camera sized unit.

The reason I would get the A1 is for the combination of features it provides in the context of other Profoto units. For example, it can be fired from the normal trigger and it can act as a trigger (a redundant backup for either). It can be used as a key light, within the limits of its power, as well as a great fill/hair/accent light. It has a well thought out set of accessories it comes with. The Profoto TTL to manual switch feature is great.

If I want power, I don't expect my on-camera unit to deliver that. Which is why I prefer Elinchrom, but that is a digression :).

If you just look at power and size, it doesn't look competitive at $1000. But if you consider what it does for you within the Profoto eco system, including standing in for the trigger ($300?) and as a backup should a primary light or battery go down, it seems like a reasonable deal. As I said, if I had Profoto, I would already have an A1 :).

C&C always welcomed...
On my images, of course, and on my words as well--as long as it's constructive :).
https://www.instagram.​com/storyinpictures_co​m/ (external link)

F2Bthere
793 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Feb 02, 2018 01:29 |  #352

RicoTudor wrote in post #18554295 (external link)
It looks great as-is! We live in an era where people are afraid of their own shadow, so shooting portrait with those opaque spaces requires some fortitude. Looking at the masters of Baroque painting (always my inspiration), one will see plenty of dramatic lighting, no fill. I'm partial to ratios between 1:3 and 1:5—although that doesn't fly with the passport office. :)

I agree. I look more to paintings for light inspiration than photography. Caravaggio, Vermeer....

A couple examples:

https://www.instagram.​com ...en-by=storyinpictures_com (external link)

https://www.instagram.​com ...en-by=storyinpictures_com (external link)

C&C always welcomed...
On my images, of course, and on my words as well--as long as it's constructive :).

happy2010
559 posts
Joined Feb 2011
Post has been last edited 18 days ago by happy2010. 3 edits done in total.
Feb 02, 2018 01:32 |  #353

Dear F2B2there,

Thank you for your comments and input, which are always well-reasoned & well-written.
The integration feature of the A1, Profoto hallmark reliability (& as a back-up transmitter) made the decision for me.
The Profoto stuff over numerous years, any conditions & situations is soooooooh reliable for me, (i.e. first time, every time) particularly for any heavy-use reliance & applications. Profoto lights are always a pleasure to use and I particularly love, love, yep LOVE the B1’s versatility, so hoping the same will be with the A1. The Profoto stuff just seems to keep on clicking & lets the magic of photography continue, full of “fun-factor”.

My attention is to the subject/client, making them look & feel there best and their photographic-experience, so I only want tools which are solution-driven., which Profoto is.
(as are many other manufacturers).

Thanks again.

Mary

MARY

F2Bthere
793 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Feb 06, 2018 23:38 as a reply to happy2010's post |  #354

Your reasons are sound and sensible, as always. I will be interested to hear your evaluation after you have worked with them in the field.

C&C always welcomed...

airbutchie
Not too crunchy
Joined Oct 2006
Monrovia, CA
Feb 09, 2018 11:02 |  #355

Wonderland Woman...

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4694/28389890389_840b691662_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/KfHB​jM] (external link)Wonderland Woman (external link) by Air Butchie (external link), on Flickr

Editorial for fashion designer, Emily Daccarett... Trying to establish an "Alice in Wonderland" feel and vibe... Clutch Crowns accessories (neck and head wear) added for fantasy/visual ambiance... Selective coloring was done in post... Model Ximpy of Next Models Agency did a great job in this editorial photoshoot for this designer... More to come... 1DX + 85L... ISO 400, f/2 @ 1/320sec... Profoto B1 + Westcott 36" Deep Octa (high above and right of camera) was used for fill light...

;)

Hi. My name is Butch...
Complete Gear List | Flickr Vault (external link) | Instagram (external link)

happy2010
559 posts
Joined Feb 2011
Post has been last edited 7 days ago by happy2010. 4 edits done in total.
Feb 13, 2018 23:28 |  #356

Dear ANNIEMacD,

Thought of you & your recent portrait project, when I saw this below videos series link and that you might find it interesting, or at least entertaining (if you haven’t already seen it)…
[e.g. for your review/analysis of Dramatic Portraits]

Character Portraits (Joe McNally Adorama TV - Ep2):
https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=2L_rdOdX9ZY (external link) (8:55 minute video)

Two of my favorite PROFOTO on-location light modifiers too, for versatility & creativity [3ft OCTA(with grid) and 1ft x 3ft STRIP BOX(with grid) respectively].
A demonstration of one of a nifty Lastilite TriGrip 8-n-1 reflector/diffuser applications/uses in this video, by Joe McNally).

Continued happy shooting, cheers...

Mary

P.S.
Still early testing of my new Profoto A1… but the A1 lighting (even on camera) seems to have a nice/quality, welcomingly less-harsh look than a conventional Canon speedlight! Yeah!
[It seems to enable a user to almost point the A1 when on-camera directly at the subject; something that would have totally revolting effects by a conventional speedlight. So far the A1 is a very forgiving, flattering & subtle light].

MARY

AnnieMacD
Oops, me again
Joined Aug 2012
Applecross, Scotland
Feb 16, 2018 14:55 |  #357

Thanks, Mary. Yes, I've seen that video but will revisit it. Glad you are liking the A1. I quite often use it in a 1'3" x 2' RFI softbox and it's got plenty power if fairly close up to the subject.

For this photo I used my brand-new 3'x4' RFI softbox on a B1 with a white reflector camera right. (And a B2 on background.) The 3x4 is my new favourite modifier!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

flickrexternal link

happy2010
559 posts
Joined Feb 2011
Post has been last edited 3 days ago by happy2010. 2 edits done in total.
Feb 17, 2018 09:02 |  #358

Dear Annie,

Thank you for sharing the great image…
Excellent capture and well lit with pleasing proportional/ratios (with the mark of an impressionable image i.e. that of natural light look, using artificial light).

I find most of my subjects’ portraits prefer ½ or ¾ length shots, so I don’t use the very durable(12yrs old) 3ft x 4ft RF that much & as it's a bit large; but I know what you mean, it can be a delightfully useful tool for various applications (regardless of manufacturer).

Over the last year your heart & soul is really being reflected in your photography and I sense also in how you are interacting with your subjects, thus making them feel more comfortable in front of a camera and thus eliciting the character & emotion (the “secret sauce”) from your subjects.
Nice signature work Annie! GO GIRL!!

Cheers to you.

Mary

P.S.
A bit off topic - but with wedding/events season, etc. unfolding, or just for general thought, in addition to lighting & modifiers depending on the application - the following video perhaps reminds us all of an important technique in the concept of story telling (be it with one photograph as veterans like Joe McNally, Deanne Fitzmaurice, etc. so skillfully have created over his/her long-career), or with a collection of photographs. So just thought you might like this video, which may remind us all…

How To Tell Stories That Sell With Photography (SLR Lounge; Pye Jirsa ex-CPA/USA professional accountant):
https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=WX51lC01zrc (external link) (13:55 minute video)

Clark Marten Photography – Montana, USA:
https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=iOA_xYxfXjA (external link) (0:31 minute video)
https://clarkmarten.co​m/ (external link)
-after Clark Marten’s son graduated from university & joined Clark Marten’s established-photography company, capable & experienced Clark Marten with his son, re-marketed their photography business, as “art work” & redesigned his studio to reflect that tone.
[there was a good video on this strategic-approach from PPA (Professional Photographers of America) about 5 yrs ago, but it requires membership to access it].

MARY

AnnieMacD
Oops, me again
Joined Aug 2012
Applecross, Scotland
Feb 17, 2018 18:03 as a reply to happy2010's post |  #359

Thank you so much, Mary, for your kind words. I don't feel I'm quite ready for them as I'm very much a learner and appreciate all the advice I can get. I do find, though, that people are asking me more and more to photograph their children which was certainly not my plan but I find I'm enjoying it. The thing with kids is that's it's not very advisable to have a set agenda or even vision of the results. One has to go with the flow and adapt as the situation changes.

Thanks for the links. I'll check them all out. I went to review the Joe McNally portrait video you pointed to in your previous post and realized it's not the one I thought. Very interesting just using one light. And I'd never have thought of placing a diffuser in front of a gridded octabox. I tend to feather the light but that can have its own issues. I then looked at the previous video in the sequence which was also very informative - they bounced two Profoto B1s off the ceiling and through a 6' x 6' scrim to create a huge soft light. I like the fact that they are using a variety of different people in these videos two to reflect a bit more the general populace.

Anyway, Mary, thanks for all your advice and support. BTW my one year old D2 blew up the other day just before a baby arrived for a photo session. I'm so happy I tested it before she came! And I had used it just a few days before. Apparently the capacitor blew and it's being fixed under warranty (2 years for Profoto). First time I've ever had an issue with Profoto equipment.

flickrexternal link

happy2010
559 posts
Joined Feb 2011
Post has been last edited 3 days ago by happy2010. 4 edits done in total.
Feb 17, 2018 18:41 |  #360

Wow Annie – a blown capacitor (sounds kind of scary, seems like you got the “chosen” one)! Great you have warranty.
In over a decade of use of my four Profoto D1 Air-500’s, I never had an issue, same with my B1’s experience – totally flawless operations, that is why I always reach for Profoto first, of all my lights.

Just an FYI – after any photo session, I ALWAYS wait 5 minutes after turning the units off (D1’s, B1’s & now my new D2’s) to be fully discharged (the autodump function).
[Following the girl-guide/boy-scout principle/moto: of: “be prepared”, I always also carry a spare bulb (D1: in studio, B1: on-location) to any major session or event such as a wedding (carefully wrapped but never had to use it) and have a plan B (aka 3 sometimes 6 600 EX-RT’s presence)].
I’m sure you always have a plan B too.

The Profoto dependability is a pleasure in my decade product-experience, which is one reason I now find myself gravitating to my new nifty Profoto A1 rather than my existing 600EX-RT when I need a potentially heavy use of a speedlight. (my 580EX-II’s were sometimes occasionally with quirky reliability).

While a curve ball for you, and undoubtedly a bit disappointing & potentially frustrating, time has a way of solving things in life, one way or another.

Yes, little "kiddos"/children are a delight (& sometimes a challenge) but as you say one often just has to go with the flow often without paramaters, with the candid moments the best full of natural expression & emotions.

Life is good, so hang in there!

Just one view…

Mary

MARY

sponsored links

112,751 views & 223 likes for this thread
Profoto Users! Post and share images
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.