Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner
Thread started 07 Nov 2017 (Tuesday) 16:29
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Outdoor portrait

Mkl
Joined Nov 2017
Nov 07, 2017 16:29 |  #1

Portrait with a natural light. One of the executive of an Archeaological Festival in Biskupin - Archeo Fashion Week - 2016. No flash here, only natural light.

Critiques and comments are welcome! Thank you.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon EOS 40D + Grip, Canon EOS 7D, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II
Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM
Sigma 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 II DC OS HSM, flickr (external link)

sponsored links
suecassidy
Goldmember
4,100 posts
Joined May 2007
Huntington Beach California
Nov 25, 2017 19:49 |  #2

The common thread that I've been seeing in the many images you've posted recently is this: while they are interesting subjects, the focus is always too soft where it should be sharp. I understand some people prefer to use shallow DOF, but it's not that. Either your lens is soft, or you aren't getting critical focus where you should for whatever reason. Am I the only person who feels that way about this series of images? Maybe it's MY eyes that are out of whack, lol.

Sue Cassidy
GEAR: Canon 1ds, Canon 1d Mark iii, Sony RX 100, Canon 50mmL 1.2, Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS, Canon 100-400L IS, Canon 14mm L, 2.8, . Lighting: Elinchrom Rangers, D-lite 400s, Canon 580/550 flashes. 74 ' Octabank, 27' Rotalux. Editing: Aperture 3

Columbia
34 posts
Joined Nov 2017
International Space Station
Nov 25, 2017 23:34 as a reply to suecassidy's post |  #3

They look like crops of the 50 1.8 to me. His other lenses are OK sharpness. If he is cropping where the subject is not in the centre to begin with, the lens really struggles toward the edges.

albemarledesigner
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Concord, NC
Dec 23, 2017 17:18 |  #4

I agree, it looks like he's cropping the 50. Also, a common thread of his photos seems to be the lighting is off.

jdm2lpm
64 posts
Joined Jun 2010
Ashburn, VA
Jan 23, 2018 18:30 as a reply to Columbia's post |  #5

You stated you can tell he is cropping the 50mm 1.8. Is there something wrong with cropping the nifty fifty? I ask because that is my only lens at the moment.

Josh McKinney
Gear: Canon 5D Classic with a Nifty Fifty

Columbia
34 posts
Joined Nov 2017
International Space Station
Feb 09, 2018 08:47 |  #6

jdm2lpm wrote in post #18547625 (external link)
You stated you can tell he is cropping the 50mm 1.8. Is there something wrong with cropping the nifty fifty? I ask because that is my only lens at the moment.

There's nothing wrong with the 50mm 1.8, its a great lens for the price (especially the newest STM version). You just have to be careful with the edges of the frame on the 50mm because that's where it tends to struggle in sharpness as you move away from the center. This isn't that noticeable in an uncropped image, but if you do any major reframing of the image via cropping it will definitely be noticeable.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
28,962 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Feb 09, 2018 11:11 as a reply to jdm2lpm's post |  #7

The problem with the fifty is that if shoot from far enough away that you avoid perspective distortion and then crop down to a head and shoulders shot you are discarding a lot of your image.

sponsored links

953 views & 3 likes for this thread
Outdoor portrait
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.