Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 09 Feb 2018 (Friday) 12:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Strange behaviour of 1D X

desertglow
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Feb 2018

Feb 09, 2018 12:24 |  #1

Hello, this is my first post to this forum, which I like and intend to be an active part of . It looks like it is formed by very competent and polite people.

For now, a question to the group, have anybody ever noticed the auto sensor cleaning starting after waking up from stand-by?
Sometimes it happens to mine, just sometimes and if i wake up the camera pressing the play button...
Not a big deal, I can live with that but I would be very curious to know if this is a feature or a bug or whatever else...

sponsored links
cristphoto
869 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Feb 09, 2018 12:44 |  #2

Try looking at the sensor cleaning settings. On my bodies its wrench menu 3. Your 1DX might be different. Do you remember it doing this when new? If not then do a reset to original default settings and see if that clears it.

5D MKIV, 5D MKIII, 1D MKIV, 24L II, 35L, 50L, 85LIS, 100LIS Macro, 135L, 300LIS, 16-35L, 24-70L, 70-200LIS, 100-400LIS

desertglow
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Feb 2018

Feb 10, 2018 12:56 as a reply to  @ cristphoto's post |  #3

Yes I have checked, it is set to clean on power on and power off.
But I never saw cleaning after waking up on any Canon camera I have owned.
I started seeing it from time to time from the beginning as I got the camera pre-owned .
Now I upgraded the firmware from 2.0.3 to the latest 2.1.0 and this issue has not shown up again.
If it happens again I will try a total factory setting..

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,790 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 10, 2018 14:06 |  #4

Well, if it actually does do the cleaning on wake-up, just let it do that. The more frequently, the better.

Anders

cristphoto
869 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Feb 10, 2018 16:29 as a reply to  @ desertglow's post |  #5

If you go back to the Canon web site usually they say what the latest firmware addresses. Perhaps random sensor cleaning was on their list. Good to hear that it hasn't done it since updating.

5D MKIV, 5D MKIII, 1D MKIV, 24L II, 35L, 50L, 85LIS, 100LIS Macro, 135L, 300LIS, 16-35L, 24-70L, 70-200LIS, 100-400LIS

desertglow
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Feb 2018

Feb 11, 2018 11:56 as a reply to  @ cristphoto's post |  #6

This "issue" is not listed among the one reported fixed. But usually not all the fixed bugs are reported just the major ones.

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,790 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 13, 2018 10:23 |  #7

And I'm not so sure it's an issue at all. Maybe the camera does this if it has been sleeping long enough.

Anders

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,893 posts
Joined May 2003

Feb 13, 2018 11:24 |  #8

I don't own a 1Dx but I suggest you check your auto power setting. If I accept the literal description from the 1Dx manual, the camera may not go into a "standby mode" as you describe things but actually turn OFF. See the graphic below that I've extracted from the manual. There is no mention of standby or sleep mode. Further, if you search the PDF of the manual for "sleep", "stand by", "stand-by" and "standby", none of the terms exist further supporting that the sleep mode doesn't exist, the camera actually powers down just as if you hit the power off switch. Thus when you "wake" the camera, the sensor automatically cleans itself.

Just for an FYI, the Canon sensors are described at http://cpn.canon-europe.com …_image/sensor_c​leaning.do (external link). Note that the article is actually three pages.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

desertglow
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Feb 2018

Feb 14, 2018 01:54 |  #9

I guessed the same thing but since there is the option of power off time in the menu I assumed that power off, stand by and sleep mode are all essentially the same thing.
But I was thinking something different, maybe the firmware shakes the sensor from time to time, accordng to some unknown algorithm, for the reason there are many people who never switch the camera off (turnung the ohysical switch off). In the latter case, even if one sets the self cleaning on the sensor would never get automatically cleaned.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,893 posts
Joined May 2003

Feb 14, 2018 05:54 |  #10

desertglow wrote in post #18563384 (external link)
I guessed the same thing but since there is the option of power off time in the menu I assumed that power off, stand by and sleep mode are all essentially the same thing.

I don't believe there is a standby or sleep mode like in a PC, where the circuitry remains powered and thus you avoid boot time. The 1Dx, based on the wording in the manual is automatically powered OFF, just as if you moved the power switch, it just does it based on a preset time interval. If you have the sensor clean to activate when powered ON, then it goes through a clean cycle when it powers ON after hitting the shutter for instance. But it doesn't come out of "sleep", it turns ON.

I tried to point out that nowhere in the 470 page manual is there the use of "sleep" or similar terms related to any form of "standby" terminology. There is simply auto power ON and auto power OFF thus I think the circuity is powered between those two states just as if you used the power switch.

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
4,812 posts
Gallery: 82 photos
Joined Jul 2005

Feb 14, 2018 06:13 |  #11

John from PA wrote in post #18563447 (external link)
I don't believe there is a standby or sleep mode like in a PC, where the circuitry remains powered and thus you avoid boot time. The 1Dx, based on the wording in the manual is automatically powered OFF, just as if you moved the power switch, it just does it based on a preset time interval. If you have the sensor clean to activate when powered ON, then it goes through a clean cycle when it powers ON after hitting the shutter for instance. But it doesn't come out of "sleep", it turns ON.

I tried to point out that nowhere in the 470 page manual is there the use of "sleep" or similar terms related to any form of "standby" terminology. There is simply auto power ON and auto power OFF thus I think the circuity is powered between those two states just as if you used the power switch.

There is obviously a difference. If you use the power switch to turn the camera off, it will not power on again with a half press of the shutter button, or by pressing the Play button as the OP described.
So even if Canon does not describe a different state, we know there is one.
For any device to be able to be powered on by use of a momentary button that is not connected to the power source, power is being consumed (albeit very tiny amounts of power) by a circuit to allow those momentary buttons to power on the device.

Dave
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/12185187@N00/
5D4, 1D4, 1DS2. Canon, Sigma lenses
Image editing OK

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,231 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 3 months ago by TeamSpeed. (4 edits in all)

Feb 14, 2018 07:36 as a reply to  @ Choderboy's post |  #12

The switch seems to simply prevent the camera from coming out of standby with button presses. As we also know with the switch off, the camera still has power being utilized to at least monitor things and finish tasks, so just putting the switch to OFF doesn't mean the camera is completely dead and that power is completely cut from the system.

Many people never turn the switch on or off with no adverse battery life issues. Those that do found out they had equipment crammed into a bag that caused a button to be pressed inadvertantly, constantly waking up the camera.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
4,812 posts
Gallery: 82 photos
Joined Jul 2005

Feb 14, 2018 08:29 as a reply to  @ TeamSpeed's post |  #13

The current required for a momentary switch on circuit is a few micro amps.
Using 5uA, it would take 10 days to reduce the battery capacity by 1 mAh.
So 3mAh per month, 36mAh per year. LP-E6n is 1865mAh. 51 years to drain the battery!
No adverse battery life issues expected.

Dave
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/12185187@N00/
5D4, 1D4, 1DS2. Canon, Sigma lenses
Image editing OK

cristphoto
869 posts
Joined Feb 2010
Post edited 3 months ago by cristphoto.

Feb 14, 2018 08:41 |  #14

Try this. Turn the camera on then let it sit until it shuts down. Then tap the MENU button. If the camera starts up then it was “sleeping”. If it doesn’t start it actually powered down. The manual for my 1D4 defines this clearer than the above post from the user manual. My manual says “to turn camera back on tap shutter button or any other button”. When I do this on my 1D4 the camera wakes up but doesn’t activate the sensor cleaner. So either Canon changed for the 1DX or your body has a trouble. Any other 1DX owners here than can check theirs and report back?

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,231 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Feb 14, 2018 08:50 as a reply to  @ Choderboy's post |  #15

Sure, but again, even with the switch off, power is being consumed internally as needed to finish tasks and monitor the camera. There is no way to know whether the battery usage is the same or reduced with the physical on/off, but we know it isn't zero.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

sponsored links

1,557 views & 4 likes for this thread
Strange behaviour of 1D X
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.