Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing
Thread started 08 Feb 2018 (Thursday) 14:22
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Help processing some photos

sprint777
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2009
Fremont, OH
Feb 09, 2018 10:54 as a reply to post 18560035 |  #16

this is what I don't understand. Things like full size, 100% crop, what size to post to my facebook page so they look nice. I guess I have a long way to go? It frustrating.

Canon 5D mark iii, 7D Mark ii, sigma art 35mm, 24-70mm f/2.8, 24-105mm f/4,70-200mm f/2.8,Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 sport , 580EX II, 50mm f/1.4, Lowpro Pro roller X300

sponsored links
Archibald
You must be quackers!
Joined May 2008
Calgary
Feb 09, 2018 10:57 |  #17

sprint777 wrote in post #18560038 (external link)
this is what I don't understand. Things like full size, 100% crop, what size to post to my facebook page so they look nice. I guess I have a long way to go? It frustrating.

It is frustrating, but it can also be exciting to learn. Keep at it, take it a bit at a time.

Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

Stiga
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2015
Nr Perth, Scotland
Feb 09, 2018 10:59 |  #18

sprint777 wrote in post #18560038 (external link)

I was confused by Archibald's explanation too.

Martin
I'm not a gear guy but I have a tons of software :-)

Archibald
You must be quackers!
Joined May 2008
Calgary
Feb 09, 2018 11:03 |  #19

Stiga wrote in post #18560041 (external link)
I was confused by Archibald's explanation too.

The photo was taken by a Canon 7D2. That camera makes photos that are 5486 pixels wide. A full size photo would be that wide, but sprint's jpeg was only 1600 pixels wide. So the photo sprint uploaded was made smaller somewhere along the line presumably by the raw processor that sprint was using.

C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

Francisco ­ Herrera
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Feb 2018
Feb 09, 2018 11:03 as a reply to post 18560035 |  #20

nice shot

sprint777
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2009
Fremont, OH
Feb 09, 2018 11:04 |  #21

how do you make link to a cr2 file in dropbox? everything appears to be jpeg when I try to upload a pic that I know is a raw file

Canon 5D mark iii, 7D Mark ii, sigma art 35mm, 24-70mm f/2.8, 24-105mm f/4,70-200mm f/2.8,Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 sport , 580EX II, 50mm f/1.4, Lowpro Pro roller X300

Archibald
You must be quackers!
Joined May 2008
Calgary
Post has been edited 12 days ago by Archibald.
Feb 09, 2018 11:06 |  #22

sprint777 wrote in post #18560050 (external link)
how do you make link to a cr2 file in dropbox? everything appears to be jpeg when I try to upload a pic that I know is a raw file

It might not be your fault. See
https://www.dropbox.co​m ...les-folders/public-folder (external link)

On the other hand, we have this info:
https://www.dropbox.co​m ...ers/share-outside-dropbox (external link)

I have used Dropbox for years and still don't understand it.

C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

Stiga
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2015
Nr Perth, Scotland
Feb 09, 2018 11:10 |  #23

Archibald wrote in post #18560048 (external link)
The photo was taken by a Canon 7D2. That camera makes photos that are 5486 pixels wide. A full size photo would be that wide, but sprint's jpeg was only 1600 pixels wide. So the photo sprint uploaded was made smaller somewhere along the line presumably by the raw processor that sprint was using.

Buy RAW convertors that I am familiar with don't resize, they convert to DNG, TIF or JPG. I am puzzled

Martin

Archibald
You must be quackers!
Joined May 2008
Calgary
Feb 09, 2018 11:31 |  #24

While the Dropbox Public folder is not public any more, you should still be able to share a file in your Dropbox account by linking to it. The instructions are in the link below. Did you already try that without success?
https://www.dropbox.co​m ...ders/share-file-or-folder (external link)

As for RAW versus JPG files, you should get into your File Explorer (if using Windows) and use it to manipulate your files. If you want to share the RAW file, locate it on your drive. Then Copy it and Paste it into your Dropbox folder. Again, maybe you already tried that... but I don't know.

C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Feb 09, 2018 12:38 |  #25

Stiga wrote in post #18560066 (external link)
Buy RAW convertors that I am familiar with don't resize, they convert to DNG, TIF or JPG. I am puzzled

Pretty much every RAW converter that I have ever used, apart from maybe that god awful RAW Process thing that predated DPP and came with my 300D, allows you to both crop the image, and export the image at just about any pixel dimensions that you want. The crop is usually shown as part of the processing workflow, and you get to see it as a preview within the RAW processing software. Resizing the image is usually done as part of the actual image conversion process as you export the image to it's new RGB format.

I think the issue with the example posted is that it was actually edited in a pixel editing program, so that it retained the existing JPEG artifacts, then was then seriously cropped, then to add even more issues was also resized. This is based on the fact that it seems that a link to the original CR2 file has not yet been successfully produced.

To the OP, I don't know what OS you are using, I use Windows and have always had the Dropbox App installed on my PC. With this all I need to do is open the file manager, (Windows Explorer, or File Explorer as it is in Win 10) and copy the required CR2 file to the Dropbox folder. I would make sure you copy not move the file, you don't want to separate it from the rest of your images. Once it has the green tick to show it has uploaded OK right click it and you get a Dropbox section. Click the copy dropbox link and then open the Link tool on this website, it's under More tools and commands, Named URL on the toolbar to the left of the input window. Select some text to turn into "THE LINK (external link)" highlight it and press make link. If you don't highlight some text it just uses the link text itself to display lie this: https://www.dropbox.co​m ...ddduo55/IMG_2411.CR​2?dl=0 (external link).

This should then take anyone to the Dropbox website where they can then download the image. Be aware that you will see the extracted preview JPEG displayed when you follow the link. If you simply do a right click and save the image you will get that JPEG file, not the original CR2. TO get the CR2 you have to choose the download file option for the file.

I have linked to the same Cr2 file that I used in my original post.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

DagoImaging
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2012
Post has been edited 12 days ago by DagoImaging.
Feb 09, 2018 13:28 |  #26

The image uploaded was fullsize, but the jpg not the raw (CR2) file.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

from the jpg it appears the focus was missed as the eagles are not sharp at all.

Sony a6300/ 16-70/4 / 70-200/4 G / Sony HVL-60M

DagoImaging
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2012
Feb 09, 2018 13:30 |  #27

as for uploading the raw file,

login to dropbox, drag the cr2 file into the window and it will upload it. Then select share, copy link and past that link here.

Sony a6300/ 16-70/4 / 70-200/4 G / Sony HVL-60M

Stiga
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2015
Nr Perth, Scotland
Feb 09, 2018 13:43 |  #28

BigAl007 wrote in post #18560126 (external link)
Pretty much every RAW converter that I have ever used, apart from maybe that god awful RAW Process thing that predated DPP and came with my 300D, allows you to both crop the image, and export the image at just about any pixel dimensions that you want. The crop is usually shown as part of the processing workflow, and you get to see it as a preview within the RAW processing software. Resizing the image is usually done as part of the actual image conversion process as you export the image to it's new RGB format...............

Alan

Alan, ACR in Photoshop does not have a resize function. And DxO Optics Pro will only resize to JPEG format, not DNG or TIF.

Martin

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,455 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Philadelphia, PA USA
Post has been edited 12 days ago by kirkt.
Feb 09, 2018 13:48 |  #29

Stiga wrote in post #18560188 (external link)
Alan, ACR in Photoshop does not have a resize function. And DxO Optics Pro will only resize to JPEG format, not DNG or TIF.

ACR does permit you to output an RGB file ("Save Image..." in the lower left corner of the ACR window) and includes resizing (Top image).

DxO outputs TIF and permits resizing of that file (Bottom image).

DNGs cannot be resized.

kirk

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Kirk
---

Archibald
You must be quackers!
Joined May 2008
Calgary
Post has been edited 12 days ago by Archibald.
Feb 09, 2018 13:55 |  #30

DagoImaging wrote in post #18560174 (external link)
The image uploaded was fullsize, but the jpg not the raw (CR2) file.

thumbnailHosted photo: posted by DagoImaging in
./showthread.php?p=185​60174&i=i155409888
forum: RAW, Post Processing & Printing

from the jpg it appears the focus was missed as the eagles are not sharp at all.

You are quite right. It did not download right for me the first time. Apologies to the OP.

And yes, the eagles are not sharp.

C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

sponsored links

1,566 views & 1 like for this thread
Help processing some photos
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.