Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 12 Jan 2018 (Friday) 23:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon?.. wtf?

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,212 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Jan 15, 2018 11:11 |  #16

drmaxx wrote in post #18541286 (external link)
I don't think that this was 'marketing' - some grey boss decided that Canon needs to be cool and be present in social media. He calls his drone and tells him:
Boss: "Go create a Canon Facebook/Twitter/xxx account. Keep it light, attractive and lively. Goal is 50'000 follower after the first month."
Drone: "What's the budget?"
Boss: "Budget? Are you crazy? My daughter has a great FB account and has no budget. You don't need a budget."
Drone: "O.k., I'll pass some of my responsibilities to Drone 2 and get going?"
Boss: "What? No way. Do you think my daughter can get off school for running FB? - Off you go, you'll manage."

Yup.

Out of what is surely tens of thousands of images shared annually, its surprising this doesn't happen more often. Their response could have been better, but I suspect it was made by the same low level social media employee, or third party social media management group.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
4,801 posts
Gallery: 82 photos
Joined Jul 2005
Post edited 4 months ago by Choderboy.

Jan 15, 2018 14:36 |  #17

CameraMan wrote in post #18541370 (external link)
Everyone is trying to save a buck so when the promotion department at Canon wants a photo for an ad on PR or whatever, instead of paying someone to go out and get a specific shot with Canon gear and all they pay someone to sit at a computer and look for public domain photos from free sites. Problem is, as we all know, some photos are heavily edited and then posted on the shallow web (sorry for the pun, been exploring the deep web lately). Why anyone would change the exif data to change it from Fujifilm to Canon is beyond me unless it was a Canon employee who liked the photo and said, 'lets use this one. I can change the exif data'. I don't know...

5D4 image of a bird, duplicate a photo from my Fuji X100S into it using Photoshop. EXIF "changed."

If I duplicated the 5D4 image into the Fuji image, EXIF would be Fuji.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Dave
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/12185187@N00/
5D4, 1D4, 1DS2. Canon, Sigma lenses
Image editing OK

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,846 posts
Gallery: 137 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 15, 2018 15:34 |  #18

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18541229 (external link)
I still believe that companies, even Canon, aren't going to go out every single time to pay photographers to get some test shots for them to promote models . . .

No, of course they aren't. . But they could - and should - at least license imagery for exclusive usage. . This would go a long way towards ensuring that their reputation is not sullied by careless image use. . And it's still dirt cheap, compared to hiring photographers for assignments or using employees.

I just looked over Leica's facebook page, and it doesn't seem like Leica is being careless about where they source photos from. . There is no reason that Canon can't give the same care to their branding that Leica gives to theirs. . I am not comparing the Leica, Inc, to Canon, Inc, as I am well aware of the vastly different scale on which these corporations are operating. . But just because a corporation is big doesn't mean that they should accept carelessness.

Big corporations can still insist on doing everything just right, all the time, no exceptions.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
4,801 posts
Gallery: 82 photos
Joined Jul 2005

Jan 15, 2018 21:12 |  #19

drmaxx wrote in post #18541286 (external link)
I don't think that this was 'marketing' - some grey boss decided that Canon needs to be cool and be present in social media. He calls his drone and tells him:
Boss: "Go create a Canon Facebook/Twitter/xxx account. Keep it light, attractive and lively. Goal is 50'000 follower after the first month."
Drone: "What's the budget?"
Boss: "Budget? Are you crazy? My daughter has a great FB account and has no budget. You don't need a budget."
Drone: "O.k., I'll pass some of my responsibilities to Drone 2 and get going?"
Boss: "What? No way. Do you think my daughter can get off school for running FB? - Off you go, you'll manage."

Exactly, that's my point.

It is marketing. It's not not accounting, real estate, human resources or fleet management.
Any medium size company has a bunch of cool "in terms" they use. Core Values I think would be applicable here. One of the five or so Core Values would probably be integrity. They failed.
I doubt very much "some grey boss" decided anything. It's marketing and there would be a boss of marketing.
In the current and previous companies I work for marketing and media relations interwork.

An internal newsletter for my current company had an article I wanted to share on social media so I contacted the person who sent the news letter. She asked a few questions and said she would check with her boss. That boss had 1 suggested bit of information to be omitted (instructed to be omitted more accurately) which I did. I'm just a tiny cog in the machine but it was obvious to me, as an employee with no experience in marketing or media relations, that getting approval and who I should request approval from before posting on social media was common sense. This was for a post that would probably be seen by a 100 or so people.

Dave
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/12185187@N00/
5D4, 1D4, 1DS2. Canon, Sigma lenses
Image editing OK

Spacemunkie
Goldmember
1,530 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Apr 2008

Feb 11, 2018 19:48 |  #20

Meh. Storm in a teacup.

Canon should have just said sorry and given the original 'tog a free camera. Easy to turn an honest balls-up into a cheap PR win...

Scott/Spacemunkie:My photos (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

2,979 views & 25 likes for this thread
Canon?.. wtf?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.