Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 11 Feb 2018 (Sunday) 19:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Why No Arca Compatible Grooves

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
7,772 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Feb 11, 2018 19:24 |  #1

I absolutely LOVE my EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II and my EF 70-200mm f/4L IS lenses. I also love my Arca Compatible tripod clamps. Unfortunately, "never the twain shall meet".

It would be so easy, and not cost much more in manufacturing if Canon would cut grooves in the tripod feet for these lenses that could accommodate an Arca Compatible clamp.

I ended up purchasing an expensive Kirk aftermarket foot for my 100-400 Mk ii lens. I resent spending that much money to "upgrade" a lens which cost close to two thousand dollars.

I use an A/C plate to mount the 70-200mm camera/lens combination to the tripod clamp but, wish I could mount the foot directly to the clamp like I can with the Kirk aftermarket foot.

Please Canon, wake up to the 21st Century...

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

sponsored links
davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,216 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Feb 11, 2018 20:11 |  #2

I haven't heard of a lens brand having arca compatible lens collars. I think they figure it best something separate since some don't use arca systems, and then there isn't just one gauge. I like this one plate system, that is compatible with the arca ball head I use. They make the plates ergonomic, so it's more comfortable resting the collar's foot on your palm. I also have the camera plate with shoulder strap system, which is a nice system on my gripped 5D.

CAMS Pro Lens Plate (external link)

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,749 posts
Gallery: 134 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 11, 2018 20:20 |  #3

davesrose wrote in post #18561717 (external link)
I haven't heard of a lens brand having arca compatible lens collars. I think they figure it best something separate since some don't use arca systems, and then there isn't just one gauge.

Right, Dave.

It's not like everybody uses arca swiss clamps. . Many people use a lot of different clamp systems, so I don't see why Canon should/would make their lens feet specifically to fit just one of the clamp types.

Persoanlly, I like a really long plate for my 100-400, because of the way I use it for certain things at very close distances at times. . So even if it did come from the factory with an arca swiss foot, I would still have to buy a much longer arca swiss plate and mount it to the bottom of the foot, anyway.

The arca swiss plate that I use on my 100-400 is 8 1/2 inches long. . It enables me to slide it real far forward so that the camera can get a couple inches closer to the subject at times when there just isn't any way to move the tripod any closer. . This is extremely useful for certain scenarios, such as suspending the camera over the water for super-close-up frog photos.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Sibil
Cream of the Crop
6,225 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 11, 2018 20:52 |  #4

davesrose wrote in post #18561717 (external link)
I haven't heard of a lens brand having arca compatible lens collars. [/URL]

My Tamron 150-600mm G2 has it and I love it.

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
7,511 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Feb 12, 2018 03:51 |  #5

I don't use an arca swiss anything; don't even know what you guys are talking about. But I'm quite sure I don't want to pay more for every piece of Canon glass just so a select few of you can have whatever degree of compatibility you are seeking.

Tom,
Film gear: Elan 7NE / Elan 7 / EOS T2
Yashica FX-D (x2) & FX-3 Super 2000 / DSB 28mm f/2.8 / 50mm ML f/2 / 135mm ML f/2.8 / Sigma Zoom-gamma II 21-35mm f/3.4.2 / Yashica ML 28-85mm f/3.5-4.5 / Tokina 70-210mm ML f/4.

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
4,785 posts
Gallery: 80 photos
Joined Jul 2005
Post edited 2 months ago by Choderboy. (2 edits in all)

Feb 12, 2018 05:36 |  #6

Bassat wrote in post #18561884 (external link)
I don't use an arca swiss anything; don't even know what you guys are talking about. But I'm quite sure I don't want to pay more for every piece of Canon glass just so a select few of you can have whatever degree of compatibility you are seeking.

It's not "a select few".

Sirui heads are owned by many members of POTN, they are all ARCA compatible.
RRS and Kirk are also used by many members, also ARCA compatible.
Peak Designs also use ARCA compatible clamps and plates.
ProMedia Gear.
Wimberley.
LensMaster.

The number of Chinese brands that make ARCA compatible clamps and plates, I have no idea the number.
Just a few:
Fittest
Desmond
Sunwayfoto
Kiwifotos
iShoot
Jobu

Of those listed above iShoot and Wimberely are the only ones that I don't have one of their clamps or plates and I have an actual Arca Swiss clamp as well.
The "compatible" may be debateable. If using screw clamps anyone of those will work with all other brands. Some lever clamps may not clamp properly.
I don't think it's reasonable to say the ARCA system is not becoming a standard.

The fact Tamron have now included ARCA dovetails on a lens foot is an obvious indication that ARCA is becoming a standard.

Dave
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/12185187@N00/
5D4, 1D4, 1DS2. Canon, Sigma lenses
Image editing OK

Bassat
7,511 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Feb 12, 2018 05:52 as a reply to  @ Choderboy's post |  #7

Would you estimate that more or less than one-half of Canon users use any of this stuff? My guess is less. Canon gear is expensive enough. Let's not ask them to include something all of would have to pay for, and less than all of use would use. Lots of people use remote/cable releases, too. Let's all pay $50 more for every camera so those folks can have an accessory the rest of us will never use. Same idea.

I would not want to pay $25-75 more for a consumer grade Canon lens just to have a 'free' hood. I get most of mine from Amazon for less the $10.

Tom,
Yashica FX-D (x2) & FX-3 Super 2000 / DSB 28mm f/2.8 / 50mm ML f/2 / 135mm ML f/2.8 / Sigma Zoom-gamma II 21-35mm f/3.4.2 / Yashica ML 28-85mm f/3.5-4.5 / Tokina 70-210mm ML f/4.

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
4,785 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Feb 12, 2018 06:10 as a reply to  @ Bassat's post |  #8

Yes, let's ask them.

Tamron have done it. Well done Tamron.

OP mentioned 100-400 II. We are already paying more for Canon to design the tripod collar so that we can't use a third party collar. Just the collar without foot AU$820. First time I am aware Canon made a collar that cannot be removed. The stupid removeable foot has a tendency to come loose and has a rounded back making a lens plate less secure.

Tamron provide a feature many would like. Canon provide complexity and weakness.

Dave
Image editing OK

crofter
183 posts
Joined Aug 2011
Post edited 2 months ago by crofter.

Feb 12, 2018 09:30 |  #9

My old Sigma 150-500 tripod foot has a dovetail at the bottom,a bit tight but it works with my arca gear, it would cost nothing to implement on all tripod feet,just a change to the casting.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/70718847@N02/ (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
48,212 posts
Gallery: 79 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited 2 months ago by CyberDyneSystems.

Feb 12, 2018 11:08 |  #10

SIGMA and Tamron are doing it. (mind you the SIGMA's usually are an optional part, and a pricey one at that.)

Canon should do it. Arca has been THE end of the road for mounting plate standards now for coming up on two decades. In particular on the long lenses where NO ONE** uses them without Arca.

**patiently waits for the exception to come along and post to prove the rule :)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
48,212 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Feb 12, 2018 11:09 |  #11

Choderboy wrote in post #18561918 (external link)

Tamron provide a feature many would like. Canon provide complexity and weakness.

Have I mentioned lately how much I HATE this design as well? lol  :p

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
48,212 posts
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited 2 months ago by CyberDyneSystems.

Feb 12, 2018 11:11 |  #12

Bassat wrote in post #18561915 (external link)
Would you estimate that more or less than one-half of Canon users use any of this stuff? My guess is less. ...

I'd say it depends on the lens line.
Again, I am confident that the vast majority of birders using super telephotos are using Arca.

Aslo, I honestly can not imagine that one foot with a dovetail in the casting would cost more to make than one without.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

Bassat
7,511 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Feb 12, 2018 11:25 |  #13

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18562066 (external link)
I'd say it depends on the lens line.
Again, I am confident that the vast majority of birders using super telephotos are using Arca.

Aslo, I honestly can not imagine that one foot with a dovetail in the casting would cost more to make than one without.

I have a dove-tail doohickey that I screw into the bottom of my camera so I can mount it on a tripod. Is that what we are talking about? Are they all the same? If so, it would be mighty convenient to have the tripod ring milled in that shape, so long as it is a one-size-fits all operation.

Tom,

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
4,785 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Feb 12, 2018 12:44 |  #14

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18562064 (external link)
Have I mentioned lately how much I HATE this design as well? lol  :p

You definitely got the message across :-P

Dave
Image editing OK

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
4,785 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Feb 12, 2018 12:44 |  #15

Bassat wrote in post #18562073 (external link)
I have a dove-tail doohickey that I screw into the bottom of my camera so I can mount it on a tripod. Is that what we are talking about? Are they all the same? If so, it would be mighty convenient to have the tripod ring milled in that shape, so long as it is a one-size-fits all operation.

If it's not a Manfrotto head then probably yes

Dave
Image editing OK

sponsored links

1,645 views & 11 likes for this thread
Why No Arca Compatible Grooves
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.