Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 12 Feb 2018 (Monday) 20:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Shutter actuation count vs image file numbering

chuckmiller
571 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2012

Feb 12, 2018 20:21 |  #1

Unless you have worked the shutter a bunch of times without making an image and provided you use and haven't altered or reset the image numbering, would you say the image numbering is a good representation of the shutter count and you don't always need a special shutter count app? Am I overlooking something?

sponsored links
Jethr0
899 posts
Gallery: 53 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Feb 12, 2018 20:26 |  #2

The image number limit on my canon 7d2 is 9999. Then it rolls over to 0001.
That’s why. For mine anyways.

www.jefflowe.ca (external link)
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jeff​lowe.ca (external link)

chuckmiller
THREAD ­ STARTER
571 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2012

Feb 12, 2018 20:27 |  #3

Ah, good point.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,891 posts
Joined May 2003

Feb 12, 2018 21:00 |  #4

...and another scenario at https://www.p4pictures​.com …reset-on-eos-5d-mark-iii/ (external link)

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,682 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Feb 12, 2018 22:19 |  #5

chuckmiller wrote in post #18562432 (external link)
Unless you have worked the shutter a bunch of times without making an image and provided you use and haven't altered or reset the image numbering, would you say the image numbering is a good representation of the shutter count and you don't always need a special shutter count app? Am I overlooking something?

If you have multiple memory cards the numbering system will get out of sync with the actual shutter count.

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab, Elements 15

Archibald
You must be quackers!
6,100 posts
Gallery: 178 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008
Post edited 3 months ago by Archibald.

Feb 12, 2018 22:55 |  #6

It should work fine if you manage the rollover from 9999 to 0001. I changed the numbering of my 7D2 so it recorded 7D_A0001 as the first number. When it got to 7D_A9999, I changed the A to B. It wasn't necessary to catch it exactly at A9999. It is easy to manually renumber a few files near the rollover. I'm into E now, and will soon need to go to F. Every letter change is exciting!

I almost always use the same memory card for each camera, and if I DO use a different one, I format it first - so the file numbering won't get disturbed.

When I did some tethered shooting with my old 7D, I noticed that the numbering wasn't incrementing. I don't know if it would be the same for the 7D2. Anyway, there could be some situations where the file numbers get out of whack. But for normal shooting, I think the file number will indicate the shutter count.

Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,790 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 13, 2018 10:22 |  #7

I'd rather say that for very un-normal shooting, the file number could represent the shutter count.
But for all reasonably normal use cases, they have nothing to do with each other.

Anders

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
4,811 posts
Gallery: 82 photos
Joined Jul 2005

Feb 13, 2018 11:46 |  #8

apersson850 wrote in post #18562765 (external link)
I'd rather say that for very un-normal shooting, the file number could represent the shutter count.
But for all reasonably normal use cases, they have nothing to do with each other.

Oh dear, I'm un-normal then.

I do similar to Archibald. I set file name to SE0_xxxx on my 7D2 from new and changed to SE1_xxxx, SE2_xxx etc every 10,000 shots.
I'm up to SE4_xxxx so between 50,000 and 60,000. I don't really care too much about keeping track of shutter count, I prefer to not duplicate file names
and this system also adds some extra info regarding when photo was taken without looking at Exif. It also means shutter count matches filename.

Dave
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/12185187@N00/
5D4, 1D4, 1DS2. Canon, Sigma lenses
Image editing OK

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,790 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 14, 2018 17:04 |  #9

I set the prefix to identify the camera. That prevents duplicate filenames, if more than one camera should generate the same file number at a shoot.
You also dont' have to modify the file name yourself. Just delete images from the card when they are transferred, but don't format the card. The camera will then automatically increment the folder number at each image number rollover. Then you import the file with the folder number included.

Thus you accomplish what you like, plus a camera identification in the file name, without having to do anything at all manually.

The reason file numbers typically aren't in sync with shutter count for "normal" shooting is that the file numbers change if you put in a different card, which already has some images on it. As there's not really anything to gain in keeping track of the file numbers yourself, you simply let this happen and the shutter count will be what it will be.

Anders

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,886 posts
Gallery: 138 photos
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited 3 months ago by Tom Reichner.

Feb 14, 2018 17:53 |  #10

apersson850 wrote in post #18563912 (external link)
The reason file numbers typically aren't in sync with shutter count for "normal" shooting is that the file numbers change if you put in a different card, which already has some images on it.

I think that for some of us there may be another factor at work, as well.

I continually chimp and delete throughout my shooting time.

A typical shoot may have me shoot 8 images, delete 7 of them, then shoot 27 images and delete all but 7 or 8. . Then I may shoot 109 images straight and not have time to delete any because the action is fast. . Then I may shoot another image and delete it right away. Then I may shoot 10 or 12 and delete 3 of them.

Then I may have some downtime, so I go back to that run of 109 straight images and start chimping and deleting. . I may delete 25 of them at this first sitting.

Then I start shooting again and rip off 30 or 40 images. . Then back at the motel room for the night, I go through all of the images that are on the card (about 135 at this point). . As I go through them I delete the nonkeepers. . Of the 135 that remain from that day's shoot, I may end up deleting 35 or 40 of them before I get tired or distracted.

Then the next morning, the new day's shoot starts and I still have about 95 images on the card from the day before. . Then I do it all over again, intermittently shooting and deleting in a very random, mixed-up fashion. . And when I get downtime to chimp, I won't only delete that day's new photos, but I will go back to previous days and look for some of those that can be deleted, as well.

And so it goes for 4 or 5 or 10 or 12 days, until the card gets nearly full. . And so I will have deleted and written over a bunch of spaces on the card, in no particular order at all.

Does that in any way mess up the chronologically ordered file numbering system?

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Pippan
886 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Oct 2015

Feb 14, 2018 18:18 |  #11

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18563944 (external link)

A typical shoot may have me shoot 8 images, delete 7 of them, then shoot 27 images and delete all but 7 or 8. . Then I may shoot 109 images straight and not have time to delete any because the action is fast. . Then I may shoot another image and delete it right away. Then I may shoot 10 or 12 and delete 3 of them.

Then I may have some downtime, so I go back to that run of 109 straight images and start chimping and deleting. . I may delete 25 of them at this first sitting.

Then I start shooting again and rip off 30 or 40 images. . Then back at the motel room for the night, I go through all of the images that are on the card (about 135 at this point). . As I go through them I delete the nonkeepers. . Of the 135 that remain from that day's shoot, I may end up deleting 35 or 40 of them before I get tired or distracted.

Then the next morning, the new day's shoot starts and I still have about 95 images on the card from the day before. . Then I do it all over again, intermittently shooting and deleting in a very random, mixed-up fashion. . And when I get downtime to chimp, I won't only delete that day's new photos, but I will go back to previous days and look for some of those that can be deleted, as well.

And so it goes for 4 or 5 or 10 or 12 days, until the card gets nearly full. . And so I will have deleted and written over a bunch of spaces on the card, in no particular order at all.

Do you ever have card failures/corruptions Tom? I've read that doing what you describe is one of the things that can increase the likelihood of card issues (i.e. never delete individual images from the card, only ever reformat it in camera after downloading the images to a hard drive.

— Please feel free to offer your thoughts on how I might improve my images —

RodS57
660 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Feb 14, 2018 18:37 |  #12

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18563944 (external link)

if I understand the question then I would say the answer is no. That being said, on my computer there ends up being a three hour difference in the displayed file creation time and digitized time per exif data. They should be the same. Haven't found the cause of the error yet.

Rod

>>> Pictures? What pictures? <<<<

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,886 posts
Gallery: 138 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 14, 2018 18:54 |  #13

Pippan wrote in post #18563954 (external link)
Do you ever have card failures/corruptions Tom?

Never.

Pippan wrote in post #18563954 (external link)
I've read that doing what you describe is one of the things that can increase the likelihood of card issues (i.e. never delete individual images from the card, only ever reformat it in camera after downloading the images to a hard drive.

I've been doing a lot of shooting for 12 years now, and have always shot this way. I even take a card out of one Canon DSLR and stick it into another, shoot for a bit, then put it back in the original camera. All things they say are big huge NO-NOs.

And yet never a card failure or corruption.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Pippan
886 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Oct 2015

Feb 14, 2018 20:20 |  #14

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18563983 (external link)
And yet never a card failure or corruption.

Good to know! :)

— Please feel free to offer your thoughts on how I might improve my images —

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,790 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 16, 2018 10:43 |  #15

Formatting the card each time doesn't work. First, I have a folder structure on my cards, where different subjects are sent to different folders. If I'm using my own camera at work, for example, I send these files to the WORK folder, but private images have other folders. Formatting the card will remove the folder structure.
Second, my cards contain stored camera setups for different applications. If I format the card, I lose the setups.
Third, my cards contain newtork access profiles. They are also lost, if I format the cards.

When I need to refresh my cards, I do a "delete all images" command.

Anders

sponsored links

1,380 views & 2 likes for this thread
Shutter actuation count vs image file numbering
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.