Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Kids & Family Talk 
Thread started 09 Feb 2018 (Friday) 13:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Help achieving this look

mdaddyrabbit
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,699 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2005

Feb 10, 2018 13:58 as a reply to  @ post 18560533 |  #16

So would you say she is cutting the subject out and blurring the background then replacing the subject?

Website (external link)

CANON

sponsored links
DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
1,927 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined Nov 2016

Feb 10, 2018 15:02 |  #17

mdaddyrabbit wrote in post #18560158 (external link)
http://www.cassiewilso​nphotography.com/famil​y-gallery-1/ (external link)

I ask this young lady for help achieving her look with the editing and she is swamped and does not have time to help me.

In fairness, she is a working professional photographer who has probably put a lot of thought and effort into developing a distinct shooting style. That style and the techniques she employs to achieve it help her earn her living. In her shoes, I wouldn't be the least inclined to give away information about how I create the images that I make. She can't stop you trying to reproduce the 'look' of her images but she can avoid handing it to you (and whoever else you choose to share the information with) on a plate. She might expect you, at the very least, to pay to attend a workshop or training course.

You will get some good advice here but I very much doubt anybody is going to just hand you the 'recipe'. You are going to have to put in some hard work.

David.
Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
28,996 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 10, 2018 15:09 |  #18

mdaddyrabbit wrote in post #18560878 (external link)
So would you say she is cutting the subject out and blurring the background then replacing the subject?

With layer masks you don't actually have to cut things out and replace them. You simply apply the effect where you like and mask what you don't.

Chet
For $20, I'll be your friend.
42,659 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Post edited 3 months ago by Chet.

Feb 10, 2018 19:53 |  #19

If I had the recipe I'd share it. Looking at your website, seems many of your images have plenty of color.

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

mdaddyrabbit
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,699 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Feb 10, 2018 23:21 as a reply to  @ DaviSto's post |  #20

I agree with you. I only ask her to give me a little knowledge. I am not looking something for nothing. If I could afford classes right now I would be more than glad to pay for them. My financial situation will not allow for that. I have put in a lot of hard work in for a long time. I am not getting anywhere fast. I am not the best at this skill so I have to work three times harder than most to even come out basic. I have never had a bone thrown my way in 50 years so I know what it is to work like a rented mule. I was not saying she was being unfair. I just said she has a plate full and don't have time.

Website (external link)

CANON

mdaddyrabbit
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,699 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Feb 10, 2018 23:27 as a reply to  @ Chet's post |  #21

I am a free hearted person, I will give you the shirt off my back. A professional photographer has no way of knowing if you can afford classes or not and thinking about it why should he or she care. The truth is everyone cannot afford classes and training. I just cannot afford to buy stuff like that right now. I ask for help in trying to figure things out sometimes. Every persons situation is different. After I pay my bills and provide for my family I help pay for my sick Mama to stay in the rest home. Right now there is no money left to buy luxury's. I don't own much or have a lot of good photography suggestions but If I can help you I will.

Website (external link)

CANON

DaviSto
1,927 posts
Joined Nov 2016

Feb 11, 2018 05:57 |  #22

mdaddyrabbit wrote in post #18561177 (external link)
I am a free hearted person, I will give you the shirt off my back. A professional photographer has no way of knowing if you can afford classes or not and thinking about it why should he or she care. The truth is everyone cannot afford classes and training. I just cannot afford to buy stuff like that right now. I ask for help in trying to figure things out sometimes. Every persons situation is different. After I pay my bills and provide for my family I help pay for my sick Mama to stay in the rest home. Right now there is no money left to buy luxury's. I don't own much or have a lot of good photography suggestions but If I can help you I will.

Hey ... I'm sorry if my comment seemed harsh. The way I see it, it's a bit like Grandma's special meatloaf recipe. Grandma isn't about to give her secret ingredients away, even they're pretty simple. And Grandma doesn't make a living out of meatloaf.

But it should be possible to replicate this look.

First, I think CW has been quite careful about her choice of locations/composition. Plenty of use of natural framing for the subjects mostly with subject to background distances that are long relative to the shooting distance ... which itself is typically quite long because she is shooting using a telephoto lens (with a wide aperture) while framing the subjects quite loosely. And she is paying a lot of attention to the colours and texture of both the background and the framing she uses ... and shooting (mostly) at times of day when the quality of light is really good.

She also looks to be giving her subjects some advice on what colours to wear. And she seems to be blessed with a personality that helps draw a nice relaxed pose and genuine smiles from them.

After that it has to be down to post processing. It seems to me she is adding saturation and contrast in general and selectively adding saturation for complementary colours, maybe dropping luminance a little to make them richer (note the strong reds and greens, for example).

Chet comments that she may be adding to the separation effect by adding blurring in PP. I can't actually see any signs of that, myself, but maybe I don't really know what to look for. Looking at the compositions she has chosen, I don't see why she would need to add any blurring ... I think she will get very good separation from the combination of long focal length, open apertures, and camera/subject/backgro​und distance ratios that she is using. Since this is her living, she is probably doing lots of these shoots and replicating these effects over many images, and my guess is that she doesn't employ any techniques that would involve spending a lot of time editing individual images. But I could be wrong.

David.

mdaddyrabbit
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,699 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Feb 11, 2018 12:34 as a reply to  @ DaviSto's post |  #23

I appreciate your post. I have had folks in the past to tell me to do the work myself and to spend the time. I am one of those who work at something 110% all the time. I just figured you were one of those folks who think I am looking for something with out going through the motions myself. I was not angry, just wanting to express how hard I work at the craft. Life for me in photography has been awfully hard. I am not a creative artist with lots of talent.
Sometimes I run across photography that really stands out to my eye. I try on my own to recreate and sometimes I put hours and hours into it. Some times after I can't seem to get it, I just lay it on the the back burner and work on it from time to time. This lady's work really stands out to me as a look I would like to have for some of my images so I am going to really work hard to get as close as possible. Again thank you for your post and direction.

Website (external link)

CANON

mdaddyrabbit
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,699 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Feb 11, 2018 20:56 |  #24

I tried a bit today but its not too good.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Website (external link)

CANON

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
28,996 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 11, 2018 21:15 |  #25

I don't think it's a bad effort. But I can't get past the impression that you are trying to force a particular look onto images that aren't necessarily suited to them.

RhodyPhotos
642 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Feb 12, 2018 10:11 |  #26

May I ask what lighting you are using? The image looks a tad underexposed to me, but it could just be my monitor.

CC always welcome.

Chet
For $20, I'll be your friend.
42,659 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 12, 2018 10:44 |  #27

She has a halo around her now. The colors seem very muted as well. Would you be willing to post the original to see what you are working with?

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

POST 18562535
HAS BEEN DELETED.

Colin ­ Glover
Goldmember
1,233 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Feb 14, 2018 13:06 |  #28

How to get the look???? Firstly, shoot wide, say an 80, 50 or 35mm prime, stepped down a couple of stops to no smaller than f2.8.
The look? Matt Kloskowski from On1 Software has some free lightroom presets. I think one of his LR wedding presets is close.

Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 600D, EF-S 18-55 ii, EF 55-200 USM ii, EF-S 75-300 iii, Tamron 28-80, Sigma 70-210. Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, EF-S 55-250, Raynox Macro adapter, Neewer filters (CPL, UV, FLD & ND4), Fuji HS20 EXR (30X zoom ) & cable release, Yongnuo 560 iii & Luxon 9800A manual flashguns for the Fuji, Hama Star 63 tripod, Hongdek RC-6 remote control, Velbon DF 40 www.point-n-shoot.co.uk website.

DaviSto
1,927 posts
Joined Nov 2016

Feb 14, 2018 13:35 |  #29

Colin Glover wrote in post #18563744 (external link)
How to get the look???? Firstly, shoot wide, say an 80, 50 or 35mm prime ....

My impression is that the images were generally shot using a medium telephoto lens ... perhaps a 135 or a 100mm on full frame. So 80 on a crop body wouldn't be too far off but I don't think we are talking anything wider than that. She is certainly shooting fairly loosely framed, though, and not cropping in tightly on her subjects.

Maybe somebody else with a good eye for angle of view and perspective could chime in on this. I'm not completely confident.

I don't use presets much so I can't really comment on that aspect. She probably is starting from a standard set of LR settings of one kind or another and working from there and it certainly should be possible to find something similar on the great interwebs.

David.

Stratographic
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Feb 2018

Feb 15, 2018 01:43 |  #30

At a guess...
Set the black and white points in lightroom, then push the contrast a little more.

In the HSL panel in lightroom, adjust saturation of (for some of the pictures), green, yellow and red.
Also adjust luminance on the colours, dropping it down a bit then adding saturation back in can help get that rich look on certain colours.

NIK color effects does have that tonal contrast thing which is good for local contrast, just mask it and apply selectively.
Skin smoothing could be the portraiture plugin, a lot of pros use it as it's fast and looks pretty good, these do have that portraiture "smoothing" look I think.

There are loads of presets out there that do the basics, these have the look of the "Jake Olson" preset collection look to me, you could give those a try :)

There's probably a hundred ways to get a similar thing, you could do a bit of glare/glow overlay set to soft light and masked in to get that summer glow feel. In fact a good tip in general for adding quick, punchy contrast is, duplicate layer, set blend mode to soft light, opacity about 10 or 20% and it gives a pretty nice "pop" to an image.

www.Stratographic.net

sponsored links

3,051 views & 7 likes for this thread
Help achieving this look
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Kids & Family Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.