Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries
Thread started 12 Feb 2018 (Monday) 16:43
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Resolution vs print size

Nascar ­ Nut
363 posts
Joined Feb 2004
Feb 12, 2018 16:43 |  #1

Is there any kind of standard for resolution = print size. I think I am going to make a website and try and sell a few photos of wildlife. I have to crop some photos, so after a crop, I may not be able to print off a large print. I am trying to figure out some kind of standard so I can set maximum print size for my photos. If you have info or a link pointing me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,130 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Atlanta, GA
Feb 12, 2018 21:26 |  #2

Optimal print resolution depends on your print size and viewing distance (the shorter your viewing distance, and the larger your image, the more resolution your image should have). Websites don't have to have such high resolutions (and images are optimized better if there's little to no scaling). If you're making a website, I would make images that are web sizes, and then have links to larger full size print versions. Services like smugmug are pretty good for organizing image libraries, and providing links to resized images for linking on websites.

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

Nascar ­ Nut
THREAD ­ STARTER
363 posts
Joined Feb 2004
Feb 13, 2018 13:24 |  #3

The way I have it set up now. People would view the photo which is resized for web friendly and if they want it they would purchase it and I will get the info on the print they want and size and send that off to the printers. So I want to no how large a print I can make based on the resolution of the image.

Mr_ipsum
Joined Aug 2012
Yonkers, NY
Feb 13, 2018 14:45 |  #4

Generally I go 300 PPI (pixels per inch) on my prints. Take the dimensions of the file and divide each side by 300, that would give you the approximate print size. But the 300 ppi will change based on how far away you expect your audience to be from the print. The further away from the print you expect people to be, the lower the ppi has to be.

RichardCervellonePhoto​graphy.com (external link) | Follow me on Instagram (external link)

106 views & 2 likes for this thread
Resolution vs print size
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.