Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 16 Feb 2018 (Friday) 11:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Problem with Select & Mask in Photoshop CC

smyke
556 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2010
Post edited 3 months ago by smyke.

Feb 16, 2018 11:16 |  #1

Hello,

I am trying to "extract" a person from a picture and struggling with Select & Mask feature in the latest Photoshop CC. I followed few different tutorials on YouTube and cannot get it to work. it actually seems to be doing the opposite when I try to use the brush on the edges and/or hair strands.
It seems very simple looking at this tutorial (external link)

I am at work now and cannot attach samples but I tried everything I could think of and no luck.

Edited to add: I am not getting any error messages as some have reported. Its just that the masking brush doesnt do what it is supposed to.

Thank you in advance.
Mike

Mike

Flickr (external link)
Gear

sponsored links
AZGeorge
Goldmember
2,135 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 16, 2018 16:15 |  #2

Hi, Mike.

S&M has three tools. The brush is pretty crude and simple for the tough task of selecting hair details. Perhaps you still had that selected when you really wanted refine edge?

The tutorial makes it look simple because of the nice contrast between a uniform background and dark hair. In real life, the task has made many a strong man or woman want to weep. <G>

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
1,927 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined Nov 2016
Post edited 3 months ago by DaviSto. (2 edits in all)

Feb 16, 2018 16:29 |  #3

When you say 'extract' do you mean 'remove/delete' the person (paint them out) or do you mean take a 'copy' of them that you can then use in another image?

If it's the former, you don't really have a problem, as really quite approximate generous masking will probably be sufficient. If it's the latter (as I suspect it probably is), then wait until someone with more PS skills than me comes along to advise.

David.
Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

DagoImaging
Goldmember
1,749 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Feb 16, 2018 17:18 |  #4

Do you have an image to share?

Sony a6300/ 16-70/4 / 70-200/4 G / Sony HVL-60M

jra
Cream of the Crop
6,528 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Feb 17, 2018 10:17 |  #5

If you can share the image you are trying to extract, that would help a lot in giving advice. The tutorial makes it look simple because an image like that is simple to extract. When you have a nice, plain background with nice contrast against what you're trying to extract, it's a pretty simple job. I'm guessing the image you're trying to extract has a "busier" background, and that can make things much more tedious and difficult to get right.

smyke
THREAD ­ STARTER
556 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2010

Feb 17, 2018 23:50 |  #6

Thank you all for your responses.
I realize that its the background that is causing problems. I tried the same technique on the solid background and it definitely worked.

Mike

Flickr (external link)
Gear

DagoImaging
Goldmember
1,749 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Feb 18, 2018 08:49 |  #7

If you share the image we might be able to give some suggestions on how to get a good extraction.

Sony a6300/ 16-70/4 / 70-200/4 G / Sony HVL-60M

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,232 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Feb 18, 2018 09:39 |  #8

Masks are "black and white", if you paint with white it will do the opposite than if you paint with black.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

sponsored links

819 views & 1 like for this thread
Problem with Select & Mask in Photoshop CC
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.