Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
Thread started 03 Mar 2018 (Saturday) 02:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Can't Bring Myself To Do It!

bidkev
Goldmember
4,353 posts
Gallery: 1854 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jul 2013

Mar 03, 2018 02:31 |  #1

Switch completely to m43. I love my Canon 100-400mkll too much. I've looked at the Olly and Panny range of lenses and despite what many have said, and from the images that I have seen, I don't think that they stack up to my Canon, despite being more expensive. That said, I would still like to invest more in the Olympus m43 system as I like the (lack of) weight, the focus bracketing/stacking and other features. I have two ME10's mk l and mk ll and am thinking about buying a metabones T Adapter so that I can utilise the Canon lens. I also like the fact that it would give me a reach of 800mm and even more with my 1.4 extender.

Has anyone used this combination and what are your impressions?

See my fishy photography here: https://kevindickinson​fineartphot.smugmug.co​m/Tropical-Fish-2/ (external link)
Olympus E-M5 gripped | Olympus OM-D E-M10 gripped | Olympus OM-D E-M10 mkll gripped | Olympus Zuicko 12-40 2.8 pro | 40-150 | 75-300 |45mm 1.8 | 17mm 1.8 | 60mm 2.8 macro | Lots of analog gear

bidkev
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,353 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Mar 04, 2018 06:57 |  #2

Nobody? Anybody using any canon lens via metabones to m43?

See my fishy photography here: https://kevindickinson​fineartphot.smugmug.co​m/Tropical-Fish-2/ (external link)
Olympus E-M5 gripped | Olympus OM-D E-M10 gripped | Olympus OM-D E-M10 mkll gripped | Olympus Zuicko 12-40 2.8 pro | 40-150 | 75-300 |45mm 1.8 | 17mm 1.8 | 60mm 2.8 macro | Lots of analog gear

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
4,781 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Jul 2005

Mar 04, 2018 09:49 |  #3

I don't think the 'reach advantage' exists. Maybe at base ISO but as you go up in ISO, 7D2 would make better results.

There was a rare case of internet consensus when discussing the reach advantage of a 1D4 (1.3 crop, 16 MP) vs 1DX, (FF, 18MP).
Consensus reached was that at higher ISO the 1DX was better. At ISO 100 the 1D4 had some advantage, ie reach advantage.
Some judged the point where 1DX became superior was ISO400, others ISO800 and some at ISO1600.
So by ISO 1600 it was agreed the 1D4 had no reach advantage (despite obviously winning the 'pixels on target' race) and the 1DX made better results.

The AF with an adapter will not be as good and you won't have lens IS, only body IS which is inferior at longer focal lengths.

If you love your 100-400 I think you have one of the best bodies to use it already.

Dave
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/12185187@N00/
5D4, 1D4, 1DS2. Canon, Sigma lenses
Image editing OK

bidkev
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,353 posts
Joined Jul 2013
Post edited 1 month ago by bidkev. (2 edits in all)

Mar 04, 2018 16:55 |  #4

Choderboy wrote in post #18577268 (external link)
I don't think the 'reach advantage' exists. Maybe at base ISO but as you go up in ISO, 7D2 would make better results.

There was a rare case of internet consensus when discussing the reach advantage of a 1D4 (1.3 crop, 16 MP) vs 1DX, (FF, 18MP).
Consensus reached was that at higher ISO the 1DX was better. At ISO 100 the 1D4 had some advantage, ie reach advantage.
Some judged the point where 1DX became superior was ISO400, others ISO800 and some at ISO1600.
So by ISO 1600 it was agreed the 1D4 had no reach advantage (despite obviously winning the 'pixels on target' race) and the 1DX made better results.

The AF with an adapter will not be as good and you won't have lens IS, only body IS which is inferior at longer focal lengths.

If you love your 100-400 I think you have one of the best bodies to use it already.

Thanks for your input Dave. I believe that I can use the lens IS if I switch off the body IS. I know it's contrary to the science but my perception (surprisingly) is that at iso 800 and below, the noise from the Em10 is actually less than from the Canon 7Dmkll. I haven't yet shot above that iso. The reach is for the "pixels on target" in that at longer distances, I am finding it harder to hold that centre focus square/spot meter on target. I'm thinking that the reach will make that target bigger and easier to hit/remain on. The decrease in overall weight will also assist.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

432 views & 0 likes for this thread
Can't Bring Myself To Do It!
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.