Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 27 Feb 2018 (Tuesday) 20:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Dealing with Fear and Self Doubt

moxphoto
163 posts
Joined May 2014

Feb 27, 2018 20:01 |  #1

Hello All..

I've been doing photography for 4 years now. I feel that I have talent and an eye and I'm proud of my work. Im good at working with people and making people feel comfortable. However - I struggle with self doubt and fear quite a bit - whenever I am offered a bigger job, I feel a lot of pressure to do a perfect job and I hesitate and feel afraid of failure or afraid of not knowing what to do technically or freezing up and not directing people properly. Sometimes it seems that other people are able to jump on a big job more easily whereas I hesitate and doubt myself and sometimes lose out on opportunity. Even sometimes on smaller jobs if its a new client, something simple like a family portrait I get nervous a bit leading up to the job.. Then almost every-time, things go really well and then I feel a high of confidence afterwards.. Yet still the fear and self doubt comes up the next time a new client or bigger type job comes my way.. I feel like it holds me back sometimes.. Does anyone else deal with this.. or has dealt with it in the past? Any advice?

Thank you!

OhLook
Spiderwoman
16,511 posts
Gallery: 68 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Feb 27, 2018 20:08 |  #2

The fear and doubt that you describe sound normal to me.

moxphoto wrote in post #18574049 (external link)
whenever I am offered a bigger job, I feel a lot of pressure to do a perfect job

One way to cope is to have backup plans in place. "If this bad thing happens, my remedy will be _____."

If you keep getting offered bigger jobs, someone must have confidence in your ability!

Sometimes it seems that other people are able to jump on a big job more easily

How do you know it seems that way to them?

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

plantastic
257 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Sep 2010
Post edited 2 months ago by plantastic.

Feb 28, 2018 10:39 |  #3

Fear and self-doubt are normal, when you place importance on living up to a high standard. They are necessary for staying humble, as well. Use your confidence from your past successes, to remind your fearful and doubting self, that YOU GOT THIS!

Also, what OhLook recommends is spot on. Always plan and be prepared for the "what-if's". Knowing that you have equipment and strategies reinforces your confidence in yourself.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,855 posts
Gallery: 138 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 28, 2018 10:59 |  #4

I think that your fear of failure, and your nervousness, is actually quite normal, and is present in many other genres besides photography.

Last night I watched a documentary about music, and Tony Bennet was interviewed briefly. . In the interview he said:

"The most famous artists I've ever met are the most nervous before they hit that stage."

Even those who are at the very top of their genre continue to feel this nervousness and fear of failure. . But they have learned how to channel that into something that drives them to excel.

I think that you are nervous before a shoot because you care so much about doing a good job for your clients and being able to give them great photos. . That is a good thing.

moxphoto wrote in post #18574049 (external link)
I've been doing photography for 4 years now. I feel that I have talent and an eye and I'm proud of my work. Im good at working with people and making people feel comfortable. However - I struggle with self doubt and fear quite a bit - whenever I am offered a bigger job, I feel a lot of pressure to do a perfect job and I hesitate and feel afraid of failure or afraid of not knowing what to do technically or freezing up and not directing people properly. Sometimes it seems that other people are able to jump on a big job more easily whereas I hesitate and doubt myself and sometimes lose out on opportunity. Even sometimes on smaller jobs if its a new client, something simple like a family portrait I get nervous a bit leading up to the job.. Then almost every-time, things go really well and then I feel a high of confidence afterwards.. Yet still the fear and self doubt comes up the next time a new client or bigger type job comes my way.. I feel like it holds me back sometimes.. Does anyone else deal with this.. or has dealt with it in the past? Any advice?

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Pinto
Goldmember
3,074 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Mar 04, 2018 13:19 |  #5

All of this advice is absolutely correct. However, I would suggest that increased experience will lessen that anxiety over time. With enough experience, you'll reach a point where you'll develop more of a "Been there, done that, not a problem," attitude when faced with stress.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

652 views & 3 likes for this thread
Dealing with Fear and Self Doubt
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.