Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive 
Thread started 01 Sep 2016 (Thursday) 09:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New Tamron 150-600 G2

Tillariina
27 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Oct 2014

Feb 20, 2018 12:53 |  #451

Poor light, but nice bird!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
Shaun ­ Liddy
160 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Feb 2016

Feb 20, 2018 16:12 |  #452

I will try and get some photos up with the new lens. I can say I now really understand how heat waves can affect things. At 500mm it is hard to get a sharp pic of the neighbors sheep at 300yards, and it's only mid 50's with the sun shining. That is via tripod and live view.

But get with in 100' and it is no longer an issue.

Shaun ­ Liddy
160 posts
Joined Feb 2016

Feb 21, 2018 23:02 |  #453

Really going to have to get used to how this lens shoots and environmental conditions having a big impact on photo quality.

Here are a couple quick first test shots.

Lizard was autofocus, moon was manual focus using live view and 10x and I used a wireless shutter once the shake was gone from the display.

I wish the moon was cleaner. This was the best shot off the 5Dmkiii tonight. When comparing sharpness via moon shots taken with my 7Dmkii moments before at similar FOV 309mm (I goofed some how and did not have it at 375mm) the 7Dmkii was noticeably sharper and I am guessing that is due to the 5dmkiii being at 600mm vs 309mm on the 7dmkii.

I will be sure to do some side by side 500mm against 600mm.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Keltab
887 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Feb 22, 2018 14:09 as a reply to  @ Shaun Liddy's post |  #454

I really enjoy my G2... I have found that the longest reliably sharp point for me is 550mm... after that it loses just a bit of sharpness.
However, after using Focal to MFA at 550, it is really good at that length. Just a thought - you might want to try it at 550 and see if yours acts like mine.

Enjoy your new lens!

The Only Difference Between Ordinary and Extraordinary Is That Little Extra :D

Shaun ­ Liddy
160 posts
Joined Feb 2016

Feb 22, 2018 16:03 |  #455

Some from today. I think the lens is very capable, I just need to figure out how to best use it. I have a LOT of misses at various focal lengths no matter how I shoot. Again I think it's me, not the lens.

I do however think I need to do some MFA via the dock as I can see some clear front focus in many shots.

Otter was tripod mounted but the ball head was loose enough to where I could move with slight resistance, the seagull was hand held. Both with the settings below. Of the 200 shots I took today these are the best 2. Honestly only kept 4 in total.
I am in IS mode 1
On the 7dmkii I have it in AF case 2
Limiter is set to 10m to infinity

I also fear that I continue to have an issue when cropping/resizing via LR, images consistently come out less sharp when I post them here than what I actually see on my screen when editing. I wish I could figure out why.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Tillariina
27 posts
Joined Oct 2014

Mar 03, 2018 11:36 |  #456

European robin. 2.3.18.

HOSTED PHOTO

Tillariina
27 posts
Joined Oct 2014

Mar 03, 2018 11:41 |  #457

Great spotted woodpecker. 25.2.18.

HOSTED PHOTO

astronotus_2000
93 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Jan 2010
Post edited 2 months ago by astronotus_2000.

Mar 04, 2018 05:39 |  #458

Been testing a new copy of the Tamron 150-600mm SP G2. Here is what I am finding. The lens does need some serious calibration in order to focus accurately at all focal lengths. That said...in my opinion, if you are not willing to send your camera in to Tamron so they can adjust the lens for you to match your camera, you have to get the Tap-In Console to go with it. It is a lot of work and takes time to really dial down the right numbers. I almost sent the lens back when I first got it. I am including some samples after a week of tweaking and adjusting the lens. No.....the earlier images weren't even close to that and wish I had kept the first set of pictures I took with the lens so I could show the before and after effects of calibration.

I believe the lens is good and when you take into account some of the other features offerred, it is easy to justify going through all the trouble to make the lens work .....

Weight is not an issue compared to the Canon 500 or 600 f4 IS II series, or even the Sigma 150-600mm Sport... Dont forget that In order to get this much reach you would have to spend how much more...?
And.... What about the quality of the images?

*Yep....the quality of the images coming from this lens is good.

I own some quality Canon lenses and no I am not getting rid of them, but considering all the above, this lens at this price point....is a keeper.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Jose Rodriguez Gonzalez

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
17,633 posts
Gallery: 264 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Sep 2008

Mar 04, 2018 07:28 |  #459

astronotus_2000 wrote in post #18577154 (external link)
Been testing a new copy of the Tamron 150-600mm SP G2. Here is what I am finding. The lens does need some serious calibration in order to focus accurately at all focal lengths. That said...in my opinion, if you are not willing to send your camera in to Tamron so they can adjust the lens for you to match your camera, you have to get the Tap-In Console to go with it. It is a lot of work and takes time to really dial down the right numbers. I almost sent the lens back when I first got it. I am including some samples after a week of tweaking and adjusting the lens. No.....the earlier images weren't even close to that and which I had kept the first set of pictures I took with the lens so I could show the before and after effects of calibration.

I believe the lens is good and when you take into account some of the other features offerred, it is easy to justify going through all the trouble to make the lens work .....

Weight is not an issue compared to the Canon 500 or 600 f4 IS II series, or even the Sigma 150-600mm Sport... Dont forget that In order to get this much reach you would have to spend how much more...?
And.... What about the quality of the images?

*Yep....the quality of the images coming from this lens is good.

I own some quality Canon lenses and no I am not getting rid of them, but considering all the above, this lens at this price point....is a keeper.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by astronotus_2000 in
./showthread.php?p=185​77154&i=i137487209
forum: Lens Sample Photo Archive

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by astronotus_2000 in
./showthread.php?p=185​77154&i=i148096116
forum: Lens Sample Photo Archive

Thank you for that informative and very helpful post. And the images look very good indeed!

Levina
Please quote when responding to a post!!!
There is no such thing as ect. It's etc. (with period) from latin et cetera.
Colours are not complimentary but complementary.
My flickr (external link)

pknight
Goldmember
2,651 posts
Gallery: 37 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Mar 04, 2018 07:49 |  #460

I have had this lens for a while, and I finally did send it to Tamron for calibration. I was without my camera and lens for about a week, but the calibration is excellent. I have the Tap-in console, but with a lens this long it really is tricky to get right, and sending it in was much less work and frustration.

Digital EOS 7D Mark II Canon: EF 50mm f/1.8 II, EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro, Life-Size Converter EF Tamron: SP 17-50mm f/2.8 DiII, 16-300mm f/3.5-6.3 DiII VC PZD Macro, SP 150-600 f/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2, SP 70-200 f/2.8 Di VC USD, 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 DiII VC HLD Sigma: 30mm f/1.4 DC Art Rokinon: 8mm f/3.5 AS IF UMC

Shaun ­ Liddy
160 posts
Joined Feb 2016

Mar 04, 2018 17:12 |  #461

I think I will be sending mine in too. I have been trying to get it to a better place and certain ranges I am there, but others not so much. Also It seems there is a bit of a difference between my 5d3 and 7d2. Think I will just send them both bodies and the 24-70G2 while I am at it.

These two are at 500mm. The fence I was focused on the post between the two gates and aprox 100' away.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

pknight
Goldmember
2,651 posts
Gallery: 37 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Mar 04, 2018 21:04 as a reply to  @ Shaun Liddy's post |  #462

One thing to know is that after you send a lens to Tamron for calibration, the console will show all the settings at "0." At first I thought that nothing had been done, but it turns out that the new calibration becomes the "factory default." This would make it easy to return to the calibration they did if one felt the need to mess around with the settings via the console.

Digital EOS 7D Mark II Canon: EF 50mm f/1.8 II, EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro, Life-Size Converter EF Tamron: SP 17-50mm f/2.8 DiII, 16-300mm f/3.5-6.3 DiII VC PZD Macro, SP 150-600 f/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2, SP 70-200 f/2.8 Di VC USD, 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 DiII VC HLD Sigma: 30mm f/1.4 DC Art Rokinon: 8mm f/3.5 AS IF UMC

Shaun ­ Liddy
160 posts
Joined Feb 2016

Mar 05, 2018 01:19 |  #463

Curious, how did you go about sending your lens in?
Did you call them?
What do they need from someone to send it in?
Did they give to a work order number!

Thanks in advance.

astronotus_2000
93 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 05, 2018 07:42 |  #464

A couple more samples from this past weekend.
The lens is performing well at 600mm so far. I am trying to include some birds in flight as well, since it has been the biggest challenge. I was used to the simplicity of the prime Canon 400mm f5.6 for BIF photography.....and must say it is a little different now. It is necessary to make some adjustments when doing BIF with the 150-600mm. However, it is possible to get some excellent shots with great detail.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Jose Rodriguez Gonzalez

Tillariina
27 posts
Joined Oct 2014

Mar 05, 2018 09:29 |  #465

Eurasian blue tit. Great lens!!

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links

102,011 views & 606 likes for this thread
New Tamron 150-600 G2
FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.