Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup 
Thread started 06 Mar 2018 (Tuesday) 08:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

So... What Happened to Kingston?

D. ­ Vance
Goldmember
4,157 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 06, 2018 08:34 |  #1

Okay, I've been out of the loop for a bit-so maybe I've missed some important news.

Is Kingston no longer making CF cards?

They were by far my favorite card, and now I can't find them for sale new; I usually got them from Adorama, but I also checked Newegg. ''Tis a sad day for me if they have forsaken that product line.

I wonder if the video editors on The Titanic ever went, "Sorry, I can't right now. I'm busy synching the Titanic..."

sponsored links
gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,999 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 06, 2018 09:16 |  #2

Hmm I googled Kingston and Newegg (external link) and got a bunch.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

D. ­ Vance
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,157 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 06, 2018 09:16 as a reply to  @ gjl711's post |  #3

Of SD cards... I only saw one CF on their site.

I wonder if the video editors on The Titanic ever went, "Sorry, I can't right now. I'm busy synching the Titanic..."

gjl711
53,999 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 06, 2018 09:35 |  #4

Ah.. Missed the CF card thing. I think everyone is abandoning CF cards it seems. Walk into Wallymart or BB and you see one, maybe two token CF cards.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,148 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 2 months ago by Wilt.

Mar 06, 2018 09:47 |  #5

They tried to 'disappear' the CF card almost a decade ago, and then they 'discovered' that CF was faster and therefore better for digital cameras with high fps. Gee, did anyone think 1-bit serial would ever be as fast as 8-bit parallel data transfer? It was simply cheaper to manufacture, which is why the semiconductor industry tried to shove SD memory down our throats.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

D. ­ Vance
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,157 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 06, 2018 09:52 |  #6

Bummer... My 5D II is still rather fond of them. ;-)a

gjl711
53,999 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 06, 2018 10:01 |  #7

You can still find them, just have to look but there are other brands. SanDisk makes a bunch.

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,222 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Mar 06, 2018 13:36 |  #8

Wilt wrote in post #18578839 (external link)
Gee, did anyone think 1-bit serial would ever be as fast as 8-bit parallel data transfer?

Umm....yes, and why PCIe, SATA, all USB formats, thunderbolt, HDMI, DisplayPort, CFast, and XQD are all serial formats. Serial can be cheaper and “faster” because of higher clock speeds.

I would think regular walk in stores have slim pickings for CFs because only higher end DSLRs can still use them (and they don’t stock them). There are more devices that use SD cards, and mobile devices that use microUSB. Amazon or online camera stores are the best sources for a selection of CFs.

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,889 posts
Joined May 2003

Mar 06, 2018 16:50 |  #9

D. Vance wrote in post #18578800 (external link)
Is Kingston no longer making CF cards?

No CF listed on Kingston's website https://www.kingston.c​om/us/flash (external link)

sponsored links

648 views & 3 likes for this thread
So... What Happened to Kingston?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.