I don't see the need for keeping a computer off-line. That just creates extra work flow issues. You need to be able to work between two computers while doing work, unless of course you are working completely on editing and don't rely on haivng access to email or the internet while you are working.
A few points I think everyone should keep in mind:
- Keep your windows 10 (yes everyone should be using Win10) up to date. Updates are coming out esp when there a big bugs that can cause all sorts of issues. The idea that your typical updates will cause issues is an idea from years ago. The odds are you will have more issues not keeping your OS up to date. Win10 is stable unless you play with it.
- get antivirus, anyone as long as it's free and is ad free. I use Windows defender as I don't need to see the need for anything more. Sure it's not considered the best but then non of them are 100% percent perfect
- Install software that you need and nothing else.
- Uninstall software you don't need.
- Make a backup but only use it when you need it.
- Use system restore as this will help when the computer for some unknown reason doens't boot.
- Store all your data on another drive.
- Use a SSD. There should be no reason why anyone isn't using one. If you have spent any decent amount of camera gear then you can get an SSD.
- Keep your browser up to date. This is the same reason you keep your OS up to date. This is your interface to the web.
- Don't open strange emails, if it looks dodgy then it more than likely is, esp attachments. Just delete, if its valid then they will send another one. (use email only in a browser if you want)
As for your work flow,
- Backup your photos,
- Backup your photos again
- Backup your photos and your edits again.
- Yep having 3+ backups are important (and I don't even make money from my photography) it doesn't matter where but make sure one set is away from your home (just in case)
- Nothing wrong with using the cloud
**NOTE** my backup is simple robocopy as I don't like how some of the backup programs work. I just want a copy of the file and not rely on a program to get my files back.
and remember don't be paranoid, just be smart. If you can learn about how to use a camera and edit a photo, you can learn the basics of how to be safe on a computer.