Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 13 Mar 2018 (Tuesday) 16:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Headshot pricing for local organization question

shaunmcfd
780 posts
Gallery: 51 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Mar 13, 2018 16:01 |  #1

I'll try to make this quick and hopefully make sense at the same time.

I am a REALTOR and my local association executive called me today and asked me if I wanted to set up for a day to take headshots for the members. My first thought was absolutely but then she told me last year the guy that did it charged $10 for 1 print (I'm assuming 5x7 or close) and the money was donated to the state organization they were raising money for. I told her there was no way he drove here and did all these headshots, printed a photo, and then donated the money he did charge leaving him with a loss. She said that he would up charge if they wanted an edited headshot sent through email for them to use. I'm trying to figure out how to make this work for everyone involved without taking a bath in losses as I am a REALTOR and serve on various committees. My first thought is to just say no and let them get someone else but then I wouldn't even have the chance to have someone pay for a headshot with me as they will just get it from him. I have a photography business and offer headshots and hate to think someone else would be coming in to do them so much cheaper but I also hate the fact that I won't be making anything near what I would if I did them outside of this event.

Anyone ever run into this type of situation? What's your opinion?

6D | 5D4 | 24-105 f4L | Sigma 50 2.8 Macro | 17-40 f4L| 135 f2L | 70-200 f2.8L ii | Sigma 35 1.4 Art | Tamron 24-70

PhotosGuy
75,248 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Mar 13, 2018 17:09 |  #2

shaunmcfd wrote in post #18584798 (external link)
My first thought was absolutely but then she told me last year the guy that did it charged $10 for 1 print (I'm assuming 5x7 or close) and the money was donated to the state organization they were raising money for.

That guy has now become a $10 photographer!
I don't know what to suggest for you because you sell real estate, but agree that you should be paid for your time. Except... you belong to the association & might get some payback in other ways, so maybe "free" would be profitable.
So maybe you can get some clues in this: Photography Rates

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

Alveric
Goldmember
4,412 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 13, 2018 18:26 |  #3

What a rip off. I'd say no. Let them find slave labour elsewhere.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
4,893 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Mar 14, 2018 00:13 |  #4

1. So why aren't they using the $10 guy again? There are two possible answers.
i. His work wasn't good enough (you get what you pay for).
ii. He is no longer doing it because he made no money.

shaunmcfd wrote in post #18584798 (external link)
I have a photography business and offer headshots and hate to think someone else would be coming in to do them so much cheaper but I also hate the fact that I won't be making anything near what I would if I did them outside of this event.

So how much money are you willing to lose just to make yourself feel good?

This is not a professional gig. It is volunteer work. You either want to support this cause or you don't. If you do then accept the loss and try to use the fact that you support it as a marketing tool.
i. See if the local paper will do a piece about you doing the shoots with all proceeds going to a good cause.
ii. Make sure that you have a good up sell option available at the event, with the option to take payment there and then. If you let people walk away and "think about it" you will never sell anything more.

If you don't feel passionate about this cause then decline the gig.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

504 views & 3 likes for this thread
Headshot pricing for local organization question
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.