Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup 
Thread started 20 Sep 2017 (Wednesday) 20:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Blu Ray still viable for image archives?

tim
Light Bringer
50,918 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Mar 15, 2018 14:15 |  #16

Wilt wrote in post #18586323 (external link)
Just keep in mind that a number of different Cloud storage companies have entered the business, then exited the business. Some went totally OUT OF BUSINESS!

And in the 35 years since personal computing started, a number of harddrive technologies have come and gone, in the march of progress. And the connection bus in the computer motherboard has changed at least 3 times (perhaps 4), and you cannot easily buy the interface card to plug into the current PC bus of modern PCs.

It takes time and work to migrate digital data, to keep it accessible in spite of technology evolution.

I lost data about 20 years ago when a company that may have been called "Z Drive" went out of business. It was free, though. I use AWS now, S3 and Glacier, and given it's a massively profitable $10B/year company I think they're a pretty safe bet. They're not the easiest to use though.

I remember IDE and SATA connectors for hard drives, what came before that?

No matter what media you use, you have to check it occasionally, do restore testing, and as media becomes old or obsolete you have to move your data. In cloud storage the provider does this for you.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
54,015 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 15, 2018 14:36 |  #17

tim wrote in post #18586361 (external link)
I remember IDE and SATA connectors for hard drives, what came before that?

There were a few. SCSI, SASI, SMD, ESDI, ATA, PATA, and a ton of others I can't quite remember.

tim wrote in post #18586361 (external link)
No matter what media you use, you have to check it occasionally, do restore testing, and as media becomes old or obsolete you have to move your data. In cloud storage the provider does this for you.

Yup, I migrate all my data every few years to the current hard drives and keep the old ones until they become so obsolete that they are not worth keeping. Media changes are easy to keep up with as there is usually years of overlap before one format disappears. Data formats are much harder to keep up to date with. Anyone remember Lotus or VisiCalc. :)

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,405 views & 2 likes for this thread
Blu Ray still viable for image archives?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.