Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Macro Talk 
Thread started 30 Mar 2018 (Friday) 09:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

macro lens problem

stoat
25 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 30, 2018 09:40 |  #1

Please can anyone help with a very strange problem. I was using a Sigma 50mm 1:2.8 DG Macro on Canon 5d mk iv Took three shots all at the same setting - all fine then took three more still at the same setting, no adjustment, exposure meter correct, and got a completely white, over exposed shot each time. I was using Manual so thought I would just try P mode to see what happened and the same, over exposed shot. Is it time for a new lens or am I missing something staring me in the face.

sponsored links
Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,215 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited 1 month ago by Left Handed Brisket.

Mar 30, 2018 09:48 |  #2

I've seen issues with aperture blades not stopping down when my battery was running low.

Are you using flash?

Were you trying to shoot way stopped down?

Doesn't sound like a macro specific issue to me, have you just fired off a bunch more test shots around the room?

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

stoat
THREAD ­ STARTER
25 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 30, 2018 10:01 as a reply to  @ Left Handed Brisket's post |  #3

no flash and each image was at f19 - same settings, same metering. Other lens work fine

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,215 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited 1 month ago by Left Handed Brisket.

Mar 30, 2018 10:23 |  #4

Battery condition?

Might look at lens contacts too.

I was talking about test shots with same lens. Sometimes weird things happen and just magically go away.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

stoat
THREAD ­ STARTER
25 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 30, 2018 10:33 as a reply to  @ Left Handed Brisket's post |  #5

battery fine apparently canon and sigma sometimes have problems on newer cameras so maybe that is it

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,148 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 30, 2018 11:38 as a reply to  @ stoat's post |  #6

Run two very simple tests to see if aperture stops down properly...

1. Press the Depth of Field Preview button, and look into front of lens to see diaphram close down
  2. Put camera in Manual mode, select slow shutter speed (> 1/8 sec) and press shutter release and look into front of lens to see diaphram close down

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
7,550 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Mar 30, 2018 11:56 |  #7

Any chance you accidentally dialed in +5 EC (or something close)?

Tom,
Film gear: Elan 7NE / Elan 7 / EOS T2
Yashica FX-D (x2) & FX-3 Super 2000 / DSB 28mm f/2.8 / 50mm ML f/2 / 135mm ML f/2.8 / Sigma Zoom-gamma II 21-35mm f/3.4.2 / Yashica ML 28-85mm f/3.5-4.5 / Tokina 70-210mm ML f/4.

stoat
THREAD ­ STARTER
25 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 30, 2018 12:33 as a reply to  @ Bassat's post |  #8

no chance !

Wilt
40,148 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 1 month ago by Wilt.

Mar 31, 2018 20:01 as a reply to  @ stoat's post |  #9

Did you try to do to two tests -- repeatedly -- what I suggested in post 8, to see if the lens is getting signals from the body consistently to stop down the aperture?

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

stoat
THREAD ­ STARTER
25 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Apr 01, 2018 08:44 as a reply to  @ Wilt's post |  #10

yes tried the tests and it worked fine - then it didn't ! same image, same exposure 1st correct exposure, 2nd way over exposed (but exposure compensation gauge still showing as 0) . With diaphram tests - same problem, 1st time worked then didn't. So definitely think its a compatibility problem. Also tried same test with my Canon 100mm macro and worked perfectly each time. Anyone want to buy a Sigma macro !!!

Wilt
40,148 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Apr 01, 2018 11:49 |  #11

stoat wrote in post #18598140 (external link)
yes tried the tests and it worked fine - then it didn't ! same image, same exposure 1st correct exposure, 2nd way over exposed (but exposure compensation gauge still showing as 0) . With diaphram tests - same problem, 1st time worked then didn't. So definitely think its a compatibility problem. Also tried same test with my Canon 100mm macro and worked perfectly each time. Anyone want to buy a Sigma macro !!!

If a press of the DOF Preview button is inconsistent with the Sigma, yet consistent in operation with the Canon lens, it is a clear indication of some issue of the Sigma not getting the signal from the body. Got a friend or store with 5DIV, where you can try the lens on that body?

sponsored links

713 views & 0 likes for this thread
macro lens problem
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Macro Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.