Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 07 Oct 2010 (Thursday) 02:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

GKPE 8, Yet more NZ ramblings from some flightless Kiwis.

joeseph
"smells like turd"
9,352 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Apr 09, 2018 04:08 |  #8311

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

note: artistic license may have been used in the post-processing of this fine picture...

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

sponsored links
scotttnz
"tick, tick, tick, tick......"
3,817 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined May 2005

Apr 09, 2018 14:32 as a reply to  @ joeseph's post |  #8312

Looks like the “V” Jetpack man is back in town!

Ex CANON 5D owner - defected to m4/3
Bodies: Panasonic G9|GX85
Zooms: Panasonic 7-14 f4|12-35 f2.8|35-100 f2.8|100-300 II f4-5.6|14-140 f3.5-5.6
Primes: Panasonic Leica 15 f1.7|25 f1.4|42.5 f1.2 Olympus 60 f2.8 Macro

kiwichris
Goldmember
2,528 posts
Gallery: 101 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Apr 09, 2018 16:57 |  #8313

joeseph wrote in post #18602942 (external link)
maybe just a half-tad...

:-P

Left the herd (natural attrition? ;) ) Panasonic Lumix G9 and lenses from 7mm wide to 300mm long.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/chriswaynzpics/ (external link)

kiwichris
Goldmember
2,528 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Apr 10, 2018 22:07 |  #8314

Poosibly last one for a while, Winter has bitten and I am not good in cold, the Luminar trial runs out today and so I wont be playing with the 'oldies' for a while. I was standing on the bridge into Balclutha to take this one, the B&W above I took a few kms south at around the same time.

IMAGE: https://farm1.staticflickr.com/815/26508519297_e69f2061ba_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/Got6​fa  (external link) balcluthariver (external link) by Chris Way (external link), on Flickr

Left the herd (natural attrition? ;) ) Panasonic Lumix G9 and lenses from 7mm wide to 300mm long.

scotttnz
3,817 posts
Joined May 2005

Apr 11, 2018 02:23 |  #8315

kiwichris wrote in post #18604311 (external link)
Poosibly last one for a while, Winter has bitten and I am not good in cold, the Luminar trial runs out today and so I wont be playing with the 'oldies' for a while. I was standing on the bridge into Balclutha to take this one, the B&W above I took a few kms south at around the same time.

I love the clouds in this one. Nice shot.

How do you like luminar? I tried it, and found the performance on my high end MacBook to be unacceptable, which I thought was odd because it was originally developed for Mac, and only recently ported to Windows. Also it seemed that you have to save raw edits as a proprietary file, rather than keeping the edits as metadata alongside the original raw file like Lightroom does.

I tried a number of different Raw processors in an attempt to wean myself off my adobe subscription, but in the end I got sick of testing software to replace an application I actually really like. I did replace Lightroom classic with CC though, the cloud intergration and multi-device support work well for me.

Zooms: Panasonic 7-14 f4|12-35 f2.8|35-100 f2.8|100-300 II f4-5.6|14-140 f3.5-5.6

kiwichris
Goldmember
2,528 posts
Joined Oct 2008
Post edited 1 month ago by kiwichris.

Apr 11, 2018 05:05 |  #8316

scotttnz wrote in post #18604397 (external link)
I love the clouds in this one. Nice shot.

How do you like luminar? I tried it, and found the performance on my high end MacBook to be unacceptable, which I thought was odd because it was originally developed for Mac, and only recently ported to Windows. Also it seemed that you have to save raw edits as a proprietary file, rather than keeping the edits as metadata alongside the original raw file like Lightroom does.

I tried a number of different Raw processors in an attempt to wean myself off my adobe subscription, but in the end I got sick of testing software to replace an application I actually really like. I did replace Lightroom classic with CC though, the cloud intergration and multi-device support work well for me.

Lets see. In my early 'puter days, when I started, lets say 20 yrs ago or so, I had several Macs then bought the high end at the time, iMac 400DV. Describe it in 3 words and I get Lemon, lemon lemon. I had the ram bumped up to max etc and running the latest OS 9.1 and that machine continually shut down and restarted at any time without warning. Mac dealers charged me umpteen and never found a fault, in fact more or less told me I had imaginitus. Eventually after many upheavals in life I got sick of it and by this time the screen was showing silly colours, bought a Dell from Warehouse put a gig of ram in it, a dvd writer and never looked back. I still have the Dell but use a not so expensive HP Pavilion 23 i5 and 16 gigs ram. I am by no means a computer expert. I am not that keen on the touch screen on the HP because 1) I really dunno how to use it to get the best out of it, and 2) when a fly or moth etc walks on it, it goes all haywire.

Because I am currently not as prolific with my photography as I used to was, I decided it was probably a good idea to ditch the monthly bill from Adobe which had crept up a little. I was getting Photoshop/Lightroom option. I don't like Lightroom, I find it confusing and cumbersome, I have my pics organised and copies and I don't need Lightroom to do it all again for me. But that is me, I am now a low productive amatuer and I doubt that will change. I have trouble getting started with Lightroom.

On the other hand, I do like Photoshop, its quality versatility etc and find it somewhat easier to use, however I use maybe 3 percent of what it is capable of because of my own limitations.

Luminar is really no comparison, it is a little boy or girl in an Optimist dinghy compared to an America's Cup yacht. It works ok, I like that all the filters can be used as a brush so you can apply what you want to where you want. But in practice that does not seem to work consistantly. I also do not like the fact the picture you are working on seems to lose shape while you are adjusting the sliders, and nothing happens until you let go. Wooops tooo much! I am happy to export as jpegs to the desktop and from there I do he organising as to where it goes, flickr etc.

I trust the cloud as much as I trust Facebook ie not. I feel the various clouds are an ideal collection point for theft of intellectual rights by various unscrupulous individuals and organisations. I have various clouds I could used, Canon, Adobe etc and have used none that I am aware of. I also do not want software that I have to stay connected to the net to use, but still I do like Photoshop.

Finally, the cost, Luminar on special about hunnerd bucks Kiwi. 12 months later, we have updates that'll be another hunnerd bucks please etc. When you compare it to Adobe, in all honesty, value for money, Adobe shines.

Another software to look out for is On1. On my 'puter, Luminar and Adobe work. On1 does not, it is slow, crashes, is just awful in my experience and it has not improved in performance for me in 3 yrs. Forget it.

Next, am wondering on DXO but it is kinda pricey too. I hope that answers your question? Study it well, there is a test next week :eek::rolleyes::-P

scotttnz
3,817 posts
Joined May 2005

Apr 11, 2018 14:45 as a reply to  @ kiwichris's post |  #8317

After 20+ years in the IT industry, mostly working on Windows, I switched to Mac for my personal stuff. There is nothing wrong with Windows really, I just wanted to use something else at home, so that it didn’t feel like I was still at work. Also as I have now reached the other side of the hill, I can no longer be bothered fiddling with tech on my days off, and have become a fan of ecosystems of stuff that “just work” together, whether that be phones, tablets, and computers, or cameras and lenses, or home entertainment stuff. These days I think in ecosystems rather than point solutions, which is why after trying out a bunch of different photo apps I settled back on Lightroom CC. Apples photos app doesn’t do enough on the raw processing side for my needs (ok, they are wants, not needs) but Adobe has a good ecosystem, that intergrates well with the other stuff I use, and I find that Lightroom does 99.9% of what I want to do with my photos, I just need to get better at using it.

Photoshop on the other hand I never use, which is why I was happy to give it up when I switched from the Photography plan to the Lightroom CC plan.

Fortunately we are all different, and there are lots of options out there for us to find something that works for us.

scotttnz
3,817 posts
Joined May 2005

Apr 14, 2018 17:49 |  #8318

Did I break the thread?

Some photos from this morning.... I snuck out during a break in the rain.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

kiwichris
Goldmember
2,528 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Apr 14, 2018 22:21 |  #8319

I've often wondered if I had broken the thread. I've been away (in the rain) but had a rather ironic experience, after writing my missive back a couple about Luminar etc, an update for Luminar was offered along with another 14 day trial. I have actually emptied myself of energy so will be a few days before thoughts and actions start flowing again.

I do like both those shots Scott.

scotttnz
3,817 posts
Joined May 2005

Apr 14, 2018 23:39 as a reply to  @ kiwichris's post |  #8320

Thanks Chris. I was experimenting with my new 10 stop ND filter. Unfortunately it was almost dead calm, so I didn’t get the movement in the water I was looking for. One more:

HOSTED PHOTO

Mark0159
I say stupid things all the time
12,768 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Mar 2003

Apr 15, 2018 00:22 |  #8321

looks good Scott. need to get the camera out.

Mark
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/52782633@N04 (external link)
Canon EOS 6D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD | Canon Speedlite 550EX -|- Film | Canon EOS 3 | Olympus OM2 | Zuiko 35mm f2

tag141
Goldmember
3,229 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Apr 15, 2018 04:49 |  #8322

Must have been a weekend for it ...

IMAGE: https://farm1.staticflickr.com/900/26596646777_4176c7fb69_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/GwfL​tt  (external link)

Mark ­ Vuleta
Goldmember
4,149 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 15, 2018 04:50 |  #8323

Mark0159 wrote in post #18607083 (external link)
need to get the camera out.

Agree. I've only just started using mine again .... almost forgot how!

HOSTED PHOTO

Mark ­ Vuleta
Goldmember
4,149 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 15, 2018 05:18 |  #8324

Hi Tim.
You in Ceylon???

tag141
Goldmember
3,229 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Apr 15, 2018 19:47 as a reply to  @ Mark Vuleta's post |  #8325

I wish. Might be cooler. Went looking for waterfalls after the recent rains. This was on the way.

sponsored links

799,801 views & 526 likes for this thread
GKPE 8, Yet more NZ ramblings from some flightless Kiwis.
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.