Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
Thread started 18 Feb 2018 (Sunday) 23:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

a68 Vs. a77ii

ShutterKlick
THREAD ­ STARTER
226 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Oct 2017

Apr 07, 2018 19:32 |  #31

Another question(s) please about lens and lens adapters.

For something like the Tamron or Sigma 100-600 (or thereabouts) lens, there is no Sony E mount in the line.

However, I am seeing Jason Lanier using Canon EF mount lens on the A6300 with the Metabones adapter.

I presume that would be a good route to go, getting the adapter and possibly using cost efficient
Canon EF lens on the used market?

From what I am seeing, the Metabones adapter is the best Canon adapter for the E mount cameras.

Please issue any insight or suggestions you have in this area, if I put out the extra for the adapter,
I could end up saving a lot of money, and also widen my lens kit with greater variety than if I
were to keep with the Sony lens.

But alas, there is the question... if the AF and all the 633 focus areas will still work with the Metabones adapter
and Canon lens.

I am exercising my Google Fu as I type..

Thanks all,
Andrew

"Camera rich, Cash poor"
http://shutterklick.co​m (external link)

sponsored links
mickeyb105
Goldmember
2,443 posts
Gallery: 346 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 10, 2018 10:01 |  #32

ShutterKlick wrote in post #18602112 (external link)
Mickey, agn you prove to be a true gentleman and a true artist in photography, willing to read and give insight, I value your time sir.

On a more positive side, I did go and download raw images from the 6300 here:

http://www.photography​blog.com …300_review/samp​le_images/ (external link)

And compared the higher ISO noise of the A6300 with my D5300.

The conclusion I make, with the human eye.. Very very similar overall quality and noise.

I have located an A6300 with short tele and long tele for right at $1,200. The only thing really
I am missing is a 35mm f1.7, which I trust I can find. Then I would "mostly" have the basic
kit I need for my type of photography.

So moving forward, my wish list would include-
- Grip for the 6300, to extend batter and possibly minimize/eliminate the possibility of over heat
This would also give it a "nicer" form factor for my use.
- A good ?? - 300mm lens, I prefer that often times to the 200mm
- Sigma or Tamron 100-600 (or there abouts..) tele for WL and BIF, Sports, etc.
- Nikon F to Sony E adapter, so I can affix my 8mm fisheye lens, its full manual anyway, no need for expensive adapter
- I still want a 50 f1.8 to get ~85mm eq. for portraits, etc..

I am presuming, any E mount lens I get for the A6300 would also function as designed on the A7/7II/7III,
am I correct?

BTW, I ran Topaz noise filter on a 6400ISO raw from the A6300 and wow, the image is so clean and details
were hardly effected!

Okay, so maybe Im back in the Sony market.. the 6300 has *all* the features I want, I can get the kit for
not a lot of money including 2 lens for 60% of what I do and can build on it leaning on the used market.

a6000 - not near as many features as the 6300
a6500 - not sure I want the IBIS and extra features
a6300 - appears to be EXACTLY what I want/need

Would KEH be a good place to get the used lens? Ive been browsing there list for a few months anyway.

Is there anyone else you trust to buy used E mount lens from?

Kind regards,
Andrew

Andrew, thank you for your kind words. If I had to guess, I would say there are around six members of this forum who have upgraded from the a6000 to the a6300--or, at a minimum, have tried out the a6300 after using the a6000 extensively. To a person, they have said the a6300 is a nice upgrade and have fingered the AF and the ability to adapt glass better as chief reasons.

If you are looking to extend out to 300mm, the 70-300G is a lens that member MedicineMan4040 loves and has shot with extensively on the a6300. His birding shots with this combo are to die for. As far as adapting a Sigma or Tamron lens, the first version of the Tamron 150-600 has been found for as little as $680 new over the past few years--even before the second version, which MedicineMan4040 tried and pretty much said didn't feel was much of an upgrade from the first version--and that lens comes highly recommended. Whether or not it is better to adapt the Nikon, Canon or Sony A-mount version of this lens is something I do not know--but I have a feeling it can be unearthed. Most of MedicineMan's (all?) was done with the A-mount version on the a77ii and a99ii. I believe he sold that lens when he converted to (mostly) full e-mount. He is a wealth of information on adapted lens wildlife shooting, and one heck of a guy.

I can't speak on adapting the Sigma, although many of the members here adapt the Canon Sigma Art series lenses with quite a bit of success.

The Sony FE 50 1.8 has a bit of a following on this forum, and there are no less than four guys who shoot it happily here. I had the FE 55 1.8, which I bought like-new for $700 on eBay, and that lens was probably my favorite lens all-time across any mount. That will get you closer to 85mm on your a6300, but also cost you $500 more. There is at least one shooter here who swears by the 50 1.4 Zeiss, but that $1200 price is $1K more than the 50 1.8. Only you can decide what you need, but I say save yourself $1K and go with that 50 1.8.

Much like Canon and Nikon, Sony mirrorless lenses have crop and full-frame designators in the item description. While the mount is universally called "E", only the "FE" lenses are full-frame. Lenses just marked "E" will lenses designed to shoot on crop bodies like the a6x00, a5x000 and NEX line of cameras. These crop lenses will work on the a7 and a9 bodies, where you can put these cameras into "crop" mode and the MP will be reduced as a result. There are some shooters who sacrifice the MP to shoot with their crop lenses on the full-frame bodies, and they typically have good results albeit at a lower resolution.

I have been pretty trusting in building the variations of my photography kit over the years. As far as Sony goes, I bought an a6000 from both BuyDig (they and Beach Camera are the same company, and are both Sony Authorized dealers) and Secondipity for $499 new with the kit lens. The body from Secondipity was probably an open box. I have also bought an a77ii from Secondipity refurbished, which I had to return due to steady shot error. They took it back, as I returned it within the 30-day period. Their policy as a company is to refund the money once they get your item returned, and you send an explanation letter with it. I don't know if they just felt bad for me, but they sent me what appeared to be a new A77ii with no shutter count back to me and it was a great body for me for the 18 months I owned it. Of note, I also sent my a6000 back to secondipity after the AF system started malfunctioning. Full disclosure, I was shooting knee-deep in the ocean and I wasn't especially careful with the body. I didn't drop it, but the body got a drop of saltwater on it here and there. Secondipity refunded me in-full when I sent it back, and that is why I bought another from Buydig like a week later.

KEH, of course, has very high standards for selling used gear although I have no experience with them. I bought my a7r and a99ii from B&H (9/10 condition), and an a77 (V condition) and a 60D (E- condition) from Adorama--all four bodies are success stories. I resold the a77 and 60D for a profit a few months after I bought them (both were bought for specific periods in my shooting) and I sold the a7r for a $150 loss after owning it for not quite two years. I would likely take a $100 loss on my a99ii if I sold it now after owning it since late July. The moral of the story is that buying new just doesn't make solid fiscal sense. I recommend both Adorama and B&H highly for used camera purchases.

I have never bought a new lens outright, although the kit lens that came with my a6000 bodies was new. I have bought two lenses on the buy/sell forum here with very good results. Both were fantastic deals--$525 for a 17-40L like four years ago and a 135 1.8 ZA last year for $725. I have bought from various eBay sellers who had excellent feedback scores with very good results, even one from Japan. The only lens I have ever bought I was unhappy with was a projector (lomo) from Belarus that I was going to convert to e-mount. It is an incredible 120 1.8 lens with an equally incredible amount of dust inside of it. Luckily, I only invested $55 into this project--lol. So, maybe be careful buying from Eastern Bloc countries? :)

I hope some of this helps!

Sony A99ii, RX-100ii, Sonnar T* 135mm f/1.8 ZA, Minolta HS 200 2.8 APO, Zeiss 24/2 ZA, Minolta 2xTC APO, HVL-F43M
Flickr (external link)

mickeyb105
Goldmember
2,443 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 10, 2018 10:10 |  #33

ShutterKlick wrote in post #18602116 (external link)
Another question(s) please about lens and lens adapters.

For something like the Tamron or Sigma 100-600 (or thereabouts) lens, there is no Sony E mount in the line.

However, I am seeing Jason Lanier using Canon EF mount lens on the A6300 with the Metabones adapter.

I presume that would be a good route to go, getting the adapter and possibly using cost efficient
Canon EF lens on the used market?

From what I am seeing, the Metabones adapter is the best Canon adapter for the E mount cameras.

Please issue any insight or suggestions you have in this area, if I put out the extra for the adapter,
I could end up saving a lot of money, and also widen my lens kit with greater variety than if I
were to keep with the Sony lens.

But alas, there is the question... if the AF and all the 633 focus areas will still work with the Metabones adapter
and Canon lens.

I am exercising my Google Fu as I type..

Thanks all,
Andrew

I don't know how long it has been since he updated, but Brian Smith put out a nice guide to adapters and adapted lenses some time ago.

http://briansmith.com/​gear/sony-lens-adapters/ (external link)

http://briansmith.com …pter-compatibility-guide/ (external link)

My gen1 e-mount bodies wouldn't allow for AF tracking, so I sold them off. I used the LA-EA3, LA-EA4 and Metabones IV. The LA-EA3 I bought for dirt cheap, like $99 at the time, knowing it would focus my 24 f2 SSM slow on my a7r. It was worth it to me to shoot landsape, and when I chose to MF my Minolta 200 2.8 G it also worked fine. The LA-EA3/gen2 bodies combo works all but natively with Sony SSM lenses, but I have no idea about third-party AF systems like Sigma and Tamron.

Many on this board love the Sigma EF adapter for their mirrorless bodies, don't be afraid to ask them questions.

Sony A99ii, RX-100ii, Sonnar T* 135mm f/1.8 ZA, Minolta HS 200 2.8 APO, Zeiss 24/2 ZA, Minolta 2xTC APO, HVL-F43M
Flickr (external link)

ShutterKlick
THREAD ­ STARTER
226 posts
Joined Oct 2017

Apr 10, 2018 17:08 |  #34

Guess what came today??

a6000 kit with 16-50 PZ and 55-210!!

Yeah, I bought the kit, less than $800 for cam and 2 lens, I could NOT resist.

I had a small unexpected windfall, and bought the D7200 also, so.. theres that.

Getting ready to look at pix of the a6000 now, battery came exhausted and
I charged it enough to get 20 pix then plugged it back up to charge.

Wow! The performance of the a6000 is nothing like the a65, that is for sure!

Ive got a birthday shoot to do Thr, plan on running the 7200 for pix
and the 6000 for video so good timing on the arrival!

Ill post more later, thanks SO much for your time and energy, I do
hope to continue to hold conversations on the Sony forum!

The only think I see that I *really* do need, is a Sony E 50mm f1.8,
$250.. I need to have a yard sale! HA HA

Andrew

"Camera rich, Cash poor"

ShutterKlick
THREAD ­ STARTER
226 posts
Joined Oct 2017

Apr 10, 2018 19:11 |  #35

a6000 on "full auto"

I think the focus "hit" on the bird feeder, trying to figure out how to set focus points, etc..

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

"Camera rich, Cash poor"

ShutterKlick
THREAD ­ STARTER
226 posts
Joined Oct 2017

Apr 10, 2018 19:15 |  #36

Diminishing light, Im kinda impressed it got an image at all..

HOSTED PHOTO

"Camera rich, Cash poor"

ShutterKlick
THREAD ­ STARTER
226 posts
Joined Oct 2017

Apr 10, 2018 20:39 |  #37

1/160 sync

off camera flash
Godox Pro S and TT600

HOSTED PHOTO

"Camera rich, Cash poor"

ShutterKlick
THREAD ­ STARTER
226 posts
Joined Oct 2017

Apr 10, 2018 20:42 |  #38

HSS 1/2000!!!

Godox Pro S controller and TT600 flash

High Speed Sync works with CHEAP GEAR!

Man these images look GREAT!

Now to look at my D7200 images, I didnt get many with it.

Loving the a6000 already!!!

HOSTED PHOTO

"Camera rich, Cash poor"

mickeyb105
Goldmember
2,443 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 11, 2018 11:09 |  #39

Congrats on your new bodies! There's a strong possibility I'll pick up another a6k at some point over the next year just to always have with me. One of the all-time great cameras IMO.

Flickr (external link)

ShutterKlick
THREAD ­ STARTER
226 posts
Joined Oct 2017

Apr 15, 2018 18:57 |  #40

Havent gotten to play with my D7200 much yet.. I did use it (with the a6000) to shoot a birthday party.

Just shot video and pictures (a6000) at a bull ride last night. Shot 24mp at 11fps with 1/500 and it pretty much stopped the movement, but ISO (auto) was 6400 indoors with "poor" light.. Once you start to zoom in on the image it is full of noise. However, I would expect this.

Ill try to post some of the better pictures later, my USB port is busy with a backup right now..

Andrew

"Camera rich, Cash poor"

ShutterKlick
THREAD ­ STARTER
226 posts
Joined Oct 2017
Post edited 1 month ago by ShutterKlick.

Apr 15, 2018 20:17 |  #41

Me and daughter at the bull ride, a6000, many were 1/500 though I did experiment with as low as 1/250, max aperture for 55mm PZ lens, ISO Auto.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

"Camera rich, Cash poor"

ShutterKlick
THREAD ­ STARTER
226 posts
Joined Oct 2017

Apr 15, 2018 20:20 |  #42

With all things considered, the camera did pretty fantastic. Im pretty sure even at larger size, a lot of the noise would get lost in the print so for me, no worries. Pixel peeking.. thats another story. Agn, ISO with Auto was usually running 3200+ so yeah.. going to be some noise.

Images reduced to 2000x for web.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

"Camera rich, Cash poor"

ShutterKlick
THREAD ­ STARTER
226 posts
Joined Oct 2017

Apr 16, 2018 22:24 |  #43

Score one for the a6000... The arena only allowed point and shoot cameras and no long lens. I tried to get my 50-210 in but I had to put it back in the Jeep (had it in a fanny pack with my wallet and cell, but they were pretty through).

For the performance of the a6000, I honestly feel sorry for anyone shooting pictures with a TRUE point and shoot, Im sure they all got a blob of blur!

The a6000 looks so much like a P&S camera, I waltz right in with it no contest or questions. :-)

Andrew

"Camera rich, Cash poor"

ShutterKlick
THREAD ­ STARTER
226 posts
Joined Oct 2017

Apr 18, 2018 21:34 |  #44

Got to play with my D7200 today in daylight natural light. STUNNING! IQ IS AMAZING!

Since this has the focus motor, I scored a 105mm f2.8 Nikkor AF Micro on ebay for $225. The "same" lens in VR with AF-S is like $700+!
Score one for the old lens and AF system!! For shooting pictures, the old AF should work perfectly fine for my subjects!

Andrew

"Camera rich, Cash poor"

sponsored links

2,105 views & 12 likes for this thread
a68 Vs. a77ii
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.