Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 20 Apr 2018 (Friday) 13:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

my daughter needs a camera for 3 weeks

Kent ­ Clark
357 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 20, 2018 13:33 |  #1

My daughter is going on a humanitarian mission this summer to Bolivia. She is helping to build a woman's shelter in Cochabamba. One of the rules is that she cannot bring her phone with her. She wants a small, light camera to take with her but I know once she gets back she will never use it again. I've looked at rentals and only see pro style gear. She says my old Canon 30D is too big. I hate to buy something that will never get used again after 3 weeks and will probably be hard to sell. Any suggestions?

sponsored links
Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,216 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Apr 20, 2018 13:44 |  #2

The canon SX series of cameras are very good. Hard to go wrong, just pick the one that is the size you want and go for it ... knowing, of course, that you pretty much get what you pay for.

Example:
https://shop.usa.canon​.com …efurbished-digital-camera (external link)

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

kmilo
250 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 20, 2018 13:49 |  #3

I vote waterproof point n shoot camera.

Amazon Link: http://a.co/gvkphKx (external link)

Kris
Insulting critiques always welcomed. flickr (external link)

kmilo
250 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 20, 2018 13:56 |  #4

This seems strange. Do you know why this rule exists?

Kent Clark wrote in post #18610371 (external link)
One of the rules is that she cannot bring her phone with her.

Kris
Insulting critiques always welcomed. flickr (external link)

gewb
664 posts
Gallery: 43 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Apr 20, 2018 14:39 |  #5

Here is a water proof Canon refurb for $200:

https://shop.usa.canon​.com …powershot-d30-refurbished (external link)

I concure that water proof is the way to go given the location and activity level.

There are other refurbs as low as $80:

https://shop.usa.canon​.com …&pageView:grid&​pageSize:& (external link)

60D / Pro1 / A85

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,268 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Apr 20, 2018 15:02 |  #6

My respect for her!

Canon PowerShot A1400 HD.
https://www.usa.canon.​com …h-cameras/powershot-a1400 (external link)

I have purchased mine for 20 CAD in 2017.

It is using two AA batteries which lasts very long and it is on pair with phone photos quality. Very simple to use. AF is good.
It has OVF and monitor turns off to save batteries. It has size of classic P&S, smaller than phone.

Examples with build-in effects:

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4435/37371227862_b0f476fdcb_o.jpg

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4447/37371227932_255f014cf4_o.jpg

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
1,927 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined Nov 2016

Apr 20, 2018 15:38 |  #7

kmilo wrote in post #18610382 (external link)
This seems strange. Do you know why this rule exists?

Isn't it just that this is about building awareness, character, confidence and self-reliance in the participants as much as it is about building a women's shelter.

Separation from your phone is more than reasonable given that aim. There will be somebody around who has a phone available in case of any actual emergency.

David.
Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,198 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 20, 2018 17:42 |  #8

Seems using an older, impotent (not on the grid) smart phone as a compact P&S would be a reasonable request.
: /

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,216 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Apr 20, 2018 18:37 |  #9

FWIW:

Cochabamba's famous "Eternal Spring" continues to hold sway over the hearts of true Cochalos. Neither experiencing the humid heat of Santa Cruz nor the frigid winds of La Paz, Cochabamba enjoys a semi-arid climate (Köppen: BSk). At 17° south of the Equator, tropical days are balanced by the cool of mountain nights. The characteristic of the climate is an extended dry season that runs from May until October with a wet season that generally begins in November with the principal rains ending in March.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 21, 2018 18:39 |  #10
bannedPermanent ban

What is your budget? Try a mirrorless system....

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,879 posts
Gallery: 138 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 22, 2018 00:11 |  #11

.]

Kent Clark wrote in post #18610371 (external link)
She wants a small, light camera to take with her but I know once she gets back she will never use it again. Any suggestions?

My suggestion is to buy something used, at a below-average price. . That way, when she returns from the trip you will be able to sell the camera for what you apid for it, and will not have to suffer any loss (except possibly $8 to $10 shipping).

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

eNTiTy
102 posts
Joined May 2014
Post edited 1 month ago by eNTiTy.

Apr 22, 2018 00:44 |  #12

If you're looking for a Canon camera, don't bypass checking out their refurbished cameras: https://shop.usa.canon​.com …powershot-digital-cameras (external link).

I've purchased a few refurbished products straight from Canon before. The products I've received were like new, no scratches, no dents or any sign of being used. Plus, Canon offers the same 1-year warranty which is very appealing.

This is a good time to purchase from the refurbished store since they're having their Spring sale, extra discounts, on many of their products.

I recently wanted a compact camera with good video quality in low light but could not pay more than $500. After researching on models and prices, I settled on the Canon PowerShot G7 X mark ii (I'm not saying you should get this model in your daughter situation). What helped my decision was the price that Canon offered for its refurbished product. It was much lower than anyone else was offering. I saved quite a bit and received a "like new" camera. Plus, I received a more reliable product than I would have when purchasing used from a consumer.

Entity = NTT = Natalie
6D | 40D | 17-35 f/2.8L USM | 24-70 f/2.8L USM | 28-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS USM | 24-105 f/4L IS USM | 40 f/2.8 | 50 f/1.8 MkI | 85 f/1.8 USM | 70-210 f/4 (1st gen-can't seem to let it go :o) | 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM

Kent ­ Clark
THREAD ­ STARTER
357 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 27, 2018 12:38 |  #13

Thanks everyone. I hate to admit it but I had forgotten I'd posted this request:-). I hadn't thought about Canon refurbished. Now I have more things to consider.

sponsored links

654 views & 0 likes for this thread
my daughter needs a camera for 3 weeks
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.