Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 28 Apr 2018 (Saturday) 19:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Missing screws 135mm f2.0

DigitalTuned
Goldmember
4,282 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Nov 2010
Post edited 24 days ago by DigitalTuned.

Apr 28, 2018 19:11 |  #1

Hey everyone i want to see if you can guide me in to the right direction. I noticed my 135mm is missing 2 screws on the outside radius of the barrel near the front element. Never dropped it but not the first time its got a loose screw either, lucky the first time i noticed it. I am missing two, where can i get these or do i have to order direct from canon?

Thank you

IMAGE: http://i64.tinypic.com/21o6n9y.jpg

IMAGE: http://i66.tinypic.com/zixhqw.jpg

Isaac
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Lincoln
facebook - (external link) - 500px (external link)

sponsored links
DigitalTuned
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,282 posts
Joined Nov 2010
Post edited 22 days ago by DigitalTuned.

Apr 30, 2018 19:08 |  #2

Update, finally got a number to Canon service parts i called and explained the exact location. They verified it and the screws are .27¢ ea. But shipping to my location is $7 so I bought 12 to make the shipping worth it even though it still didn't haha.. Well I know I am not the only one who has had this problem, in fact a google search lead me back to POTN so for the record the part # is YA2-2685-000  for that particular area of the lens and the contact information to Canon (USA) parts is
(866) 481-2569  Their business hours are  9:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. (EST) Monday-Friday. 

:-)

Isaac
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Lincoln

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
22,728 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2005

Apr 30, 2018 20:28 as a reply to  @ DigitalTuned's post |  #3

i'd put a spot of blue Loctite on the replacement screws

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L III, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS, 100-400L II, sigma 15mm FE, 35mm ef-s macro, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542, gitzo GM4562, markins Q10, markins Q3, kirk, really right stuff

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,888 posts
Joined May 2003
Post edited 22 days ago by John from PA.

Apr 30, 2018 20:46 |  #4

ed rader wrote in post #18617042 (external link)
i'd put a spot of blue Loctite on the replacement screws

Absolutely do not do this! Loctite 242 blue is for metal fasteners that range in size from 1/4 to 3/4 inch.

Use on metal fasteners 1/4' (6 mm) to 3/4' (19 mm) in diameter such as bolts on small engines, swing sets and furniture.

Use on a very small screw will virtually insure that on removal, the head will strip off leaving the threaded portion. In addition Loctite states

Use on plastic parts, particularly thermoplastic materials where stress cracking of the plastic could result, is not recommended.

Do what camera repair technicinas did 50 years ago...simple application of a small amount of clear nail polish is sufficient.

DigitalTuned
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,282 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 30, 2018 21:16 |  #5

Thanks for the tips

Isaac
Abraham Lincoln

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,215 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Jun 2011

May 01, 2018 06:49 |  #6

John from PA wrote in post #18617059 (external link)
Absolutely do not do this! Loctite 242 blue is for metal fasteners that range in size from 1/4 to 3/4 inch.

Use on a very small screw will virtually insure that on removal, the head will strip off leaving the threaded portion. In addition Loctite states

Do what camera repair technicinas did 50 years ago...simple application of a small amount of clear nail polish is sufficient.

http://henkeladhesives​na.com …-use-purple-threadlocker/ (external link)

Purple Loctite is low strength. Depending on whether you more often find yourself in the hardware store, or in the cosmetics aisle, one or the other might be easier to acquire.

:D

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,888 posts
Joined May 2003

May 01, 2018 12:42 |  #7

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18617297 (external link)
http://henkeladhesives​na.com …-use-purple-threadlocker/ (external link)

Purple Loctite is low strength. Depending on whether you more often find yourself in the hardware store, or in the cosmetics aisle, one or the other might be easier to acquire.

:D

Again, the issue with loctite purple, also known as Loctite 222 is this Loctite statement:

This product is not normally recommended for use on plastics (particularly thermoplastic materials where stress cracking of
the plastic could result). Users are recommended to confirm compatibility of the product with such substrates.

It will also be considerably more costly than a bottle of clear nail polish (which the wife/girlfriend) likely has anyway.

ed ­ rader
22,728 posts
Joined May 2005
Post edited 20 days ago by ed rader. (3 edits in all)

May 02, 2018 14:49 |  #8

I use blue locktite on small screws -- eg. knife pocket clips and other screws -- with never any issues so i'm gonna have to call BS on this one. common practice with knives http://knifeup.com …r-knife-with-loctite-242/ (external link)

5D4, 80d, 16-35L III, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS, 100-400L II, sigma 15mm FE, 35mm ef-s macro, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542, gitzo GM4562, markins Q10, markins Q3, kirk, really right stuff

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,888 posts
Joined May 2003

May 02, 2018 16:24 |  #9

ed rader wrote in post #18618282 (external link)
I use blue locktite on small screws -- eg. knife pocket clips and other screws -- with never any issues so i'm gonna have to call BS on this one. common practice with knives http://knifeup.com …r-knife-with-loctite-242/ (external link)

Call it "BS" if you desire but keep in mind that all the quotes I provided are direct from Henkels/Loctite. Both quotes (242 & 222) also say do not use in plastic, which is likely the material in the lens. I will say that you have no dog in the fight, nor do I, so if the OP uses 242 and screws up the lens for whatever reason, he/she can't come back to either of us. However, should he/she "sneak" up on things, using what camera technicians used 50 years ago (nail polish), they can always do it over if it doesn't hold.

On the knife; my "wave" has a screw with a head that is at least three times the diameter of the screw head in one of my Canon lenses. So it is likely that the threaded portion of the fastener is also three times the diameter of the camera screw. Coupled with some high strength stainless steel alloys, likely you could use 242 on something smaller than 1/4 inch.

One more thing on "BS", I'm a mechanical engineer with 50 years of experience. When it comes to threaded fasteners, I tend to prefer what manufacturers write on their products, not the content of some blog.

DigitalTuned
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,282 posts
Joined Nov 2010
Post edited 20 days ago by DigitalTuned.

May 02, 2018 18:16 |  #10

Its ok everyone..lol i have 12pcs but I must say i got a kick out of the box i received them in today. I going to say it could fit 4 -135mm lenses with no bubble wrap and possibly 2 with bubble wrap in it. This could have been shipped in a small bubble wrap envelope.. Guess thats where the $7 shipping went haha

Isaac
Abraham Lincoln

ed ­ rader
22,728 posts
Joined May 2005
Post edited 20 days ago by ed rader.

May 02, 2018 21:01 as a reply to  @ John from PA's post |  #11

"One more thing on "BS", I'm a mechanical engineer with 50 years of experience. When it comes to threaded fasteners, I tend to prefer what manufacturers write on their products, not the content of some blog."

Spyderco recently switched from red to blue Loctite in assembling its knives.

http://knifenews.com …ifies-disassembly-policy/ (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,231 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 20 days ago by TeamSpeed.

May 02, 2018 21:06 |  #12

John from PA wrote in post #18618331 (external link)
Call it "BS" if you desire but keep in mind that all the quotes I provided are direct from Henkels/Loctite. Both quotes (242 & 222) also say do not use in plastic, which is likely the material in the lens. I will say that you have no dog in the fight, nor do I, so if the OP uses 242 and screws up the lens for whatever reason, he/she can't come back to either of us. However, should he/she "sneak" up on things, using what camera technicians used 50 years ago (nail polish), they can always do it over if it doesn't hold.

On the knife; my "wave" has a screw with a head that is at least three times the diameter of the screw head in one of my Canon lenses. So it is likely that the threaded portion of the fastener is also three times the diameter of the camera screw. Coupled with some high strength stainless steel alloys, likely you could use 242 on something smaller than 1/4 inch.

One more thing on "BS", I'm a mechanical engineer with 50 years of experience. When it comes to threaded fasteners, I tend to prefer what manufacturers write on their products, not the content of some blog.

The screw isn't plastic, nor is the threaded slot it goes into. A small tiny dab made with a toothpick would be just fine. It has been done countless times before on various lenses, screws on the front element, etc. The 135L may be a kit lens and the cheapest L you can get, and a tiny dab of loctite on these screws won't break the L, I am sure loctite isn't an L lens' kryptonite.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

bildeb0rg
Goldmember
2,572 posts
Gallery: 162 photos
Joined Oct 2006

May 03, 2018 03:09 |  #13

To me, as an engineer of only 40 years, i would maybe look at why the screws are unscrewing (they can't just "fall" out, they're screws) not at gluing them in place. Are you using the lens as a hammer maybe?  :p

sponsored links

714 views & 16 likes for this thread
Missing screws 135mm f2.0
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.