Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Urban Life & Travel Talk 
Thread started 06 May 2018 (Sunday) 12:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Power Adapter for Korea Travel?

SYS
Cream of the Crop
8,939 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2004

May 06, 2018 12:03 |  #1

The last time I traveled to South Korea for a month, I used a cheap power adapter that blew the wall outlet of a room that I stayed in. I'm staying another month this time, and I need to charge my camera batteries, laptop, cell phone, etc.

Does anyone have an experience using a solid and reliable power adapter in South Korea and could recommend one?

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

sponsored links
nqjudo
Goldmember
2,833 posts
Joined Apr 2007

May 06, 2018 13:00 |  #2

If your devices say something like 'Input 100-240VAC' or similar you don't need a voltage converter. Just a simple plug adapter. Korea uses Type C or F. If you need a converter there are a lot of good ones around. I have one from Exian that I bought for about 20$ and used for years but as most devices are universal input now it doesn't get a lot of use anymore. It is highly unlikely your adapter blew the outlet on your previous trip.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. - Edward Steichen.

SYS
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
8,939 posts
Joined Jul 2004

May 06, 2018 13:23 |  #3

nqjudo wrote in post #18620623 (external link)
If your devices say something like 'Input 100-240VAC' or similar you don't need a voltage converter. Just a simple plug adapter. Korea uses Type C or F. If you need a converter there are a lot of good ones around. I have one from Exian that I bought for about 20$ and used for years but as most devices are universal input now it doesn't get a lot of use anymore. It is highly unlikely your adapter blew the outlet on your previous trip.

Come to think of it (my last trip was a decade ago, so I'm fuzzy on details, lol), it was a simple plug adapter that I used, and it blew the wall outlet. Anything to avoid that again is what I'm looking for. I still have a few left over plug adapters but I'm a bit apprehensive about using any of those.

-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

Capn ­ Jack
Goldmember
1,462 posts
Gallery: 675 photos
Joined Mar 2010

May 06, 2018 13:49 |  #4

I just use a plug adapter since almost everything made in the last 10 years can use any voltage from 100 V (Japan) to 240 V. To make it easier, I have a good power strip that takes up to 240 V and plug the adapter to that end, then plug all my stuff into the strip. I only need one adapter for all the countries I visit for the power strip, and have enough outlets for everything (2 phones, tablet, GPS, camera charger, shaver). Since many USA hotels also don't have a lot of accessible power outlets, I take the power strip with me all the time.

The shaver plug in a hotel bathroom is often 120 V, but is sometimes current-limited, so one can't put many devices to charge there. It also doesn't have the ground prong.

Also, if taking a computer, take an HDMI cable. The flat screen TVs also make great second computer monitors for laptop computers.

SYS
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
8,939 posts
Joined Jul 2004

May 06, 2018 13:59 |  #5

Capn Jack wrote in post #18620641 (external link)
I just use a plug adapter since almost everything made in the last 10 years can use any voltage from 100 V (Japan) to 240 V. To make it easier, I have a good power strip that takes up to 240 V and plug the adapter to that end, then plug all my stuff into the strip. I only need one adapter for all the countries I visit for the power strip, and have enough outlets for everything (2 phones, tablet, GPS, camera charger, shaver). Since many USA hotels also don't have a lot of accessible power outlets, I take the power strip with me all the time.

The shaver plug in a hotel bathroom is often 120 V, but is sometimes current-limited, so one can't put many devices to charge there. It also doesn't have the ground prong.

Also, if taking a computer, take an HDMI cable. The flat screen TVs also make great second computer monitors for laptop computers.

I'll look for a power strip that'd be most portable for my travel needs. Thanks for the suggestion.

-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,148 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 21 days ago by Wilt. (3 edits in all)

May 06, 2018 15:14 |  #6

Just pretend you are travelling in Europe, and use the same plug adapters and/or 220v voltage convertors that you would use there... Korea uses 60Hz vs. European 50Hz AC cycle, but that won't really matter.

As already stated, many wall warts to charge Canon batteries or AA/AAA batteries are 100-240V self-adapting for voltage, and would need only physical plug adapter (no AC voltage change)

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

SYS
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
8,939 posts
Joined Jul 2004

May 06, 2018 15:28 |  #7

Wilt wrote in post #18620692 (external link)
Just pretend you are travelling in Europe, and use the same plug adapters and/or 220v voltage convertors that you would use there... Korea uses 60Hz vs. European 50Hz AC cycle, but that won't really matter.

As already stated, many wall warts to charge Canon batteries or AA/AAA batteries are 100-240V self-adapting for voltage, and would need only physical plug adapter (no AC voltage change)

Thanks, Wilt.

-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

Wilt
40,148 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 20 days ago by Wilt. (3 edits in all)

May 07, 2018 11:43 |  #8

ONE30 wrote in post #18621190 (external link)
...this is what i used when i traveled to seoul. no issues whatever, used it for my shaver. phone/ipad plugged in the usb port, camera charger on the front outlet at the same time.

didn’t use a laptop, may want to charge it separately.

https://www.amazon.com …ds=wall+charger​+converter (external link)

Caution (in the product description):

"This universal plug adapter is not a (voltage) converter, it just converts the power outlet plug type (adapter) only, it does NOT convert electrical output current and voltage. Please make sure your device carries a electrical converter when you travel to other countries with different electrical output. "

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Wilt
40,148 posts
Joined Aug 2005

May 07, 2018 12:05 |  #9

For a unit with DOES convert 220V to 110V with multiple AC outlets and supports high current demand devices like hair dryers, (and also provides USB 5V 2.4A output to fast charge smartphones)

https://www.amazon.com …age_o00_s00?ie=​UTF8&psc=1 (external link)

ONE30
I don't have a point!!!
4,196 posts
Joined Mar 2011

May 07, 2018 12:05 |  #10

Wilt wrote in post #18621202 (external link)
Caution (in the product description):

"This universal plug adapter is not a (voltage) converter, it just converts the power outlet plug type (adapter) only, it does NOT convert electrical output current and voltage. Please make sure your device carries a electrical converter when you travel to other countries with different electrical output. "

...ok, this is what i used with no issues but will delete my post as i do not want anyone to damage any of their belongings with my suggestions. thanks for pointing out the finer details.

sponsored links

174 views & 1 like for this thread
Power Adapter for Korea Travel?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Urban Life & Travel Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.