Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 10 Apr 2018 (Tuesday) 21:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Micro adjustment of lenses?

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
3,611 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Oct 2010

May 06, 2018 23:58 |  #31

When I mounted my 300 f2.8 IS II/1.4xIII combo on the 80D, the results were not razor sharp. "Okay" sharp but not what I would expect from a very expensive setup.
I MFAed the combo and found I needed +10. Now the images are much better.

Why send your camera/lens to Canon when they will tell you how to perform MFA.

http://learn.usa.canon​.com …oadjustment-landing.shtml (external link)

Download the pdf file.

MFA is explained step by step. Canon uses blades of grass to determine if your gear is front or back focusing. Easy-peasy!

One more thing to try...set camera on a tripod. Select a target that has contrast & detail. Focus on the target using Live View.
Then get out of Live View and focus again, keeping an eye on the lens focus scale. If the focus scale moves, even by a hair, then MFA
is needed.

Easy-peasy!

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

sponsored links
duckster
THREAD ­ STARTER
92 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined May 2017

May 07, 2018 10:15 as a reply to  @ Perfectly Frank's post |  #32

Thank you for that link

Lbsimon
...never exercised in my life
2,611 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Jan 2011

May 07, 2018 13:04 |  #33

Perfectly Frank wrote in post #18620956 (external link)
When I mounted my 300 f2.8 IS II/1.4xIII combo on the 80D, the results were not razor sharp. "Okay" sharp but not what I would expect from a very expensive setup.
I MFAed the combo and found I needed +10. Now the images are much better.

Why send your camera/lens to Canon when they will tell you how to perform MFA.

You just confirming what I said - you did not like the sharpness, you went out to fix it. If the photographer is happy with his/her photos as compared to others, why fix it. I found that if I like the sharpness, but still want to do the MA, the adjustment would be either minimal or just zero.

In the beginning I tried to use Canon's method, but it relied too much on subjective evaluation. DotTune and FoCal take this subjectivity out of equation. I chose to spend money to buy FoCal.

5D Mark IV | 6D | S110
EF 17-40L | EF 24-105L (two) | EF 70-200L F4 IS | EF 100-400L II | EF 85 1.8 | EF 50 1.8 STM | Canon 1.4x III | Canon 1.4x II
Yongnuo 685 | Nissin Di622 M2 | Nissin Di422

MatthewK
Goldmember
2,845 posts
Gallery: 419 photos
Joined Apr 2009

May 07, 2018 20:26 |  #34

Most definitely do MFA, especially on my telephotos and wide aperture primes (50L, black sheep that it is). DOF is super thin, I want to make sure sharpness is where I put it. Here's an example of why it can be beneficial:

I sent my 5D4 in for a cleaning and checkup. It came back with additional repairs to the AF system (it was hunting for focus at a lot more). Today I took it out shooting burds with my 500L, and all of my shots were coming back sloppy soft, so I did some MFA. Come to find out, I still had the old MFA settings set, which were no longer valid after the service. I thought that Canon would've set them back to zero like they always do, but I guess MFA values stick.

Old setting of +7 on my 500L II. Nice and gooey soft. Notice the little nub in the back is somewhat sharp though, as is the inside back of the bark piece on the bottom. And, on the far right side the stick starts getting sharp as it gets further away from the camera. Clear case of back focusing.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

New setting of 0, after taking a few test shots and walking back the MFA value:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

No sharpening applied to either sample photo, and focus was on where the bark meets the non-bark. In a case like this, you'd be kind leaving a lot of detail on the table if you didn't verify MFA, and with bird photography the eye and feather detail has to be tack. A lens like the 500L at f/4 has wafer thin DOF at the distance I'm shooting, so plane of sharpness has to be spot-on.

flickr (external link)

fordmondeo
983 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2007
Post edited 13 days ago by fordmondeo.

May 08, 2018 01:08 |  #35

I've had to MFA all fast primes I've ever had.
The only lens/camera I had to send to canon was my 5Diii and my 85 1.2.

They did a good job matching the two and it was not done using the camera MFA.
I can only assume they made some kind of physical adjustment to the lens as all my other optics were fine with the body.

Vaginator9000

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
3,611 posts
Joined Oct 2010

May 08, 2018 05:05 |  #36

MatthewK wrote in post #18621542 (external link)
I sent my 5D4 in for a cleaning and checkup. It came back with additional repairs to the AF system (it was hunting for focus at a lot more).

I'm curious, did Canon tell you what they did? Adjustment made or part replaced? Thanks.

MatthewK
Goldmember
2,845 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 08, 2018 07:28 as a reply to  @ Perfectly Frank's post |  #37

So I reported that the AF was hunting a lot, even using the center point in good light. On the repair sheet, Canon, in their typical vague summary, said that the "AF was misaligned, repair carried out". Whatever that means.

flickr (external link)

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
3,611 posts
Joined Oct 2010

May 08, 2018 08:42 |  #38

MatthewK wrote in post #18621802 (external link)
So I reported that the AF was hunting a lot, even using the center point in good light. On the repair sheet, Canon, in their typical vague summary, said that the "AF was misaligned, repair carried out". Whatever that means.

Thanks for the update.

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,599 posts
Gallery: 59 photos
Joined May 2011

May 08, 2018 22:24 |  #39

MatthewK wrote in post #18621802 (external link)

That's about what they said only referenced the AI Servo... of course, I told them that was the problem. ;)

Mine cost 174 and change... on a 1D IV... similar price?

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

MatthewK
Goldmember
2,845 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 10, 2018 05:06 |  #40

Phoenixkh wrote in post #18622315 (external link)
That's about what they said only referenced the AI Servo... of course, I told them that was the problem. ;)

Mine cost 174 and change... on a 1D IV... similar price?

A little more expensive for me ($238), as I had them clean it too. I'm OK with that cost, as my 80D and 100-400 II clean/adjust was done pro-bono back in March, and both were well out of warranty.

flickr (external link)

sponsored links

2,548 views & 13 likes for this thread
Micro adjustment of lenses?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.