Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 24 Apr 2018 (Tuesday) 10:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Looking for a new lens. Please help

PJmak
635 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 24, 2018 10:27 |  #1

I know there are probably a lot of threads like this but everyone has specific needs.

I am leaning towards a 70-200 f4l($450ish value for used)

I own a sony E mount camera and will be using this lens as a all manual photo lens with a basic adapter. I DONT care about auto focus.

Is there any other lens in that price range and focal length that might be a better choice when it comes to overall image quality and colors?

I dont want a wide angle, Im am looking for telephoto.

Viewbug (external link)

sponsored links
Canonuser123
409 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Dec 2014

Apr 24, 2018 11:52 |  #2

PJmak wrote in post #18612597 (external link)
I know there are probably a lot of threads like this but everyone has specific needs.

I am leaning towards a 70-200 f4l($450ish value for used)

I own a sony E mount camera and will be using this lens as a all manual photo lens with a basic adapter. I DONT care about auto focus.

Is there any other lens in that price range and focal length that might be a better choice when it comes to overall image quality and colors?

I dont want a wide angle, Im am looking for telephoto.

The aperture is controlled by the camera on Canon EF lenses, you won't be able to change it without buying one of the more expensive electronic adapters.

PJmak
THREAD ­ STARTER
635 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 24, 2018 12:07 as a reply to  @ Canonuser123's post |  #3

You know I thought there might be an issue with using a basic adapter.

Are there any cheap electronic adapters that guarantee aperture function(again dont care about AF)

Viewbug (external link)

Canonuser123
409 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Dec 2014

Apr 24, 2018 17:19 as a reply to  @ PJmak's post |  #4

Yes, I don't know which ones work the best, I bought a cheap Commlite adapter many years ago to use with my Sony a6000. The Commlite adapter allowed AF, IS and aperture control, AF was not that great with my Canon 70-200 f4L IS lens but the IS and aperture control worked. Newer Sony bodies are supposed to work better with adapted lenses, I imagine that there are better cheap adapters now also.

PJmak
THREAD ­ STARTER
635 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 25, 2018 15:29 |  #5

Just picked up a canon 70-200 f4L for $400 with the lens hood. ths is the first shot I took with it on my sony a6500 with a basic adapter that doesn't support aperture control.

Im assuming this is at f4

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Viewbug (external link)

SJacPhoto
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Feb 2018

May 14, 2018 00:20 |  #6

Without knowing what You actually want to shoot, it is impossible to recommend a good lens for You.

Colin ­ Glover
Goldmember
1,231 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Aug 2012

May 15, 2018 07:02 |  #7

Probaly not F4. Will be the aperture it was last set at when used on a Canon body, and the reason it's a good exposure is due to Auto ISO if ISo was set to Auto.The great light helped in keeping ISO down.

Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 600D, EF-S 18-55 ii, EF 55-200 USM ii, EF-S 75-300 iii, Tamron 28-80, Sigma 70-210. Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, EF-S 55-250, Raynox Macro adapter, Neewer filters (CPL, UV, FLD & ND4), Fuji HS20 EXR (30X zoom ) & cable release, Yongnuo 560 iii & Luxon 9800A manual flashguns for the Fuji, Hama Star 63 tripod, Hongdek RC-6 remote control, Velbon DF 40 www.point-n-shoot.co.uk website.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,212 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited 6 days ago by Left Handed Brisket.

May 15, 2018 08:53 |  #8

Colin Glover wrote in post #18626018 (external link)
Probaly not F4. Will be the aperture it was last set at when used on a Canon body, and the reason it's a good exposure is due to Auto ISO if ISo was set to Auto.The great light helped in keeping ISO down.

If the lens was last removed from a Canon DSLR the aperture will almost certainly be left wide open regardless of the camera setting. It's possible to remove it stopped down, but you have to intentionally hold down the DOF button while removing the lens.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

PJmak
THREAD ­ STARTER
635 posts
Joined Feb 2009

May 15, 2018 09:38 |  #9

Ended up picking up a MC-11 adapter for this lens to use on my sony. It works pretty damn good and Im very happy with my purchase.

I dont think I could have gotten a better lens for $400

Got what I was looking for

Viewbug (external link)

PJmak
THREAD ­ STARTER
635 posts
Joined Feb 2009

May 15, 2018 12:31 |  #10

Few shots taken with this combo. This was before the MC-11

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Viewbug (external link)

sponsored links

525 views & 2 likes for this thread
Looking for a new lens. Please help
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.