Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup 
Thread started 13 May 2018 (Sunday) 22:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Big decline in CF card prices...

Canonuser123
435 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Dec 2014

May 14, 2018 15:23 |  #16

Perfectly Frank wrote in post #18625520 (external link)
One item that is still expensive are the 2.5" SSD. I'd like to install a 2TB SSD in my laptop, but prices hover around $500.
The price on these things has been steady over the last year or two.

https://www.amazon.com …ref=ask_ql_qh_d​p_hza?th=1 (external link)

I was just looking at these earlier today and found some around $300 for 2TB, I am waiting for a big drop in M.2 SSD prices now.

https://www.amazon.com …e_browse-bin%3A6797522011 (external link)

sponsored links
Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,890 posts
Gallery: 138 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

May 14, 2018 16:03 |  #17

Perfectly Frank wrote in post #18625317 (external link)
I was digging around in my file cabinet when I came across a BHP receipt for a Sandisk Extreme Pro 64 GB CF card from Aug 2013.
I paid a whopping $289.95 for one card. Yikes!

That's a heck of a lot of money for a memory card. . For $289 I could go photograph wildlife in Yellowstone for a week and still have money left over.

Way back in 2011, I bought a Transcend 32GB CF card from B&H for $66.50. . It killed me to spend that much just for a memory card, but it was the best value I could find at the time.

The same card at the same retailer now costs $16.99

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Perfectly ­ Frank
THREAD ­ STARTER
I'm too sexy for my lens
3,635 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Oct 2010

May 14, 2018 16:58 |  #18

KeithS wrote in post #18625638 (external link)
This was supplied with an early digital camera, an Epson, I think.

QUOTED IMAGE

That's right, at one time Epson made digital cameras.

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

Perfectly ­ Frank
THREAD ­ STARTER
I'm too sexy for my lens
3,635 posts
Joined Oct 2010

May 14, 2018 17:01 |  #19

RDKirk wrote in post #18625633 (external link)
Although memory prices frequently fluctuate like the price of oil, the history of memory is that the price is constantly decreasing. That's why it's always been foolhardy to buy more memory than one really needs at the moment in a vain attempt at future-proofing.

Yup, words well spoken.

But at the time I needed a 64 GB card, and over the years it has served me well.

Perfectly ­ Frank
THREAD ­ STARTER
I'm too sexy for my lens
3,635 posts
Joined Oct 2010

May 14, 2018 17:06 |  #20

Canonuser123 wrote in post #18625675 (external link)
I was just looking at these earlier today and found some around $300 for 2TB, I am waiting for a big drop in M.2 SSD prices now.

Yes I saw that. I'm not familiar with the brand, and don't know if its quality is up there with the major brands. But it does get pretty
good user reviews. I might do some more research on this brand.

Perfectly ­ Frank
THREAD ­ STARTER
I'm too sexy for my lens
3,635 posts
Joined Oct 2010

May 14, 2018 17:13 |  #21

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18625694 (external link)
That's a heck of a lot of money for a memory card. . For $289 I could go photograph wildlife in Yellowstone for a week and still have money left over.

Oh that's for sure.
But at the time that was the typical cost of a good quality 64gb card. And I wanted the extra capacity.
I figured I already spent a ton of money on gear, so what's another 289 bucks. :rolleyes:

filmuser
173 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jul 2016

May 14, 2018 17:15 |  #22

Who remembers smartmedia cards?

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,708 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

May 14, 2018 18:15 |  #23

Perfectly Frank wrote in post #18625727 (external link)
Yup, words well spoken.

But at the time I needed a 64 GB card, and over the years it has served me well.

If you need it now and you buy it now, that's the best thing you can do.

But there was a time when every new camera model stretched for more and more megapixels, so people often bought memory sized for the camera they intended to own two or three models into the future.

The problem was not only would that size card be a lot cheaper down the line when they really needed it, but there was a huge chance the technology would change and the old card would be outmoded or maybe even unusable.

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,708 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

May 14, 2018 18:16 |  #24

filmuser wrote in post #18625739 (external link)

My first "test of concept" digital camera used smartmedia.

Perfectly ­ Frank
THREAD ­ STARTER
I'm too sexy for my lens
3,635 posts
Joined Oct 2010

May 15, 2018 14:09 |  #25

My first digital camera was the Kodak DC3400. It was a 2.0 mp camera that came with a 8 MB CF card.
Bought it in 2001.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,893 posts
Joined May 2003
Post edited 12 days ago by John from PA. (2 edits in all)

May 15, 2018 16:01 |  #26

Perfectly Frank wrote in post #18625734 (external link)
Yes I saw that. I'm not familiar with the brand, and don't know if its quality is up there with the major brands. But it does get pretty good user reviews. I might do some more research on this brand.

Micron was the parent company of Lexar. See https://www.micron.com …e-storage-retail-business (external link). Lexar was sold to Longsys but Micron is still around and has been around for years. Crucial is also one of Micron's brands.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,893 posts
Joined May 2003

May 16, 2018 06:44 |  #27

Canonuser123 wrote in post #18625675 (external link)

You can get that drive for $269 (after the coupon) at https://www.rakuten.co​m …HA-FNzeThXUlt8.04L2w4FX8A (external link).

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,081 posts
Joined Aug 2009

May 16, 2018 18:11 |  #28

filmuser wrote in post #18625739 (external link)

Yep. My first digital camera (3 MP Olympus) used those. I think they were 64 MB each.

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,081 posts
Joined Aug 2009

May 16, 2018 18:20 |  #29

This thread got me looking at flash format/prices on Amazon. What's the deal with CFast prices? Are they super expensive because they're expensive to produce or just because of the low volume? I can see picking up a used 1Dx2 some day but those card prices are a deterrent. I see UHS-2 cards rated for 300MB/sec now. Maybe another generation and they'll be the format to rule them all.

ra40
383 posts
Gallery: 155 photos
Joined Jan 2013

May 16, 2018 19:15 |  #30

Bought a handful of SDXC cards in the winter of '16 and come this past winter prices were pretty similar. Originally was hoping to get some CF Lexar 1066X 128G but they went bye-bye. Prices before their announcement were not as good as when I bought one a year prior. B&H had one of those deals for ~$115. The SanDisk combo with 64 CF and SDXC have been $99 for a year and some odd. <shrug>

sponsored links

758 views & 9 likes for this thread
Big decline in CF card prices...
FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.