Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 24 Nov 2008 (Monday) 08:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

This Is gonna hurt...Show Yours

Mozes
Goldmember
1,596 posts
Gallery: 380 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Nov 2012

May 10, 2018 16:00 |  #1651

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

*Nikon D3s * Nikon D7100 * 18-105mm kitlens * Tamron AF SP 90 mm f/2.8 VC USD Macro * Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 SP Di VC USD *
Sportplaatje (external link) I flickriver (external link)

sponsored links
hornrocker
322 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Nov 2008

May 14, 2018 15:14 as a reply to  @ Mozes's post |  #1652

Been there, done that, it hurts

Mark
Much more gear than talent....

darynv
Hatchling
4 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2015

May 15, 2018 06:44 |  #1653

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Dad to a BMX rockstar and lover of most sports, in particular 2 and 4 wheels

waterrockets
Goldmember
3,872 posts
Joined Jun 2010

May 16, 2018 13:41 |  #1654

darynv wrote in post #18626011 (external link)
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by darynv in
./showthread.php?p=186​26011&i=i61791873
forum: Sports

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by darynv in
./showthread.php?p=186​26011&i=i148649590
forum: Sports

Nice! Is it me, or do those tires lack the aggression for gravel-dusted hard pack?

Nice to see the two previous two-wheel crashes were both low-sides. Good sign of aggression for the riders (when the rider has more courage than the tires, it's a good sign), and much safer than high-siding out of a turn.

1D MkIV | 1D MkIII | 550D w/grip & ML| EF 70-200mm f2.8L| EF 24-105mm f4L IS | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC | 430EXii | EF 50mm f1.8

POST 18626966
HAS BEEN DELETED.

Nogo
I could have been worse....
6,640 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Dec 2013
Post edited 8 days ago by Nogo. (2 edits in all)

May 16, 2018 20:27 |  #1655

waterrockets wrote in post #18626840 (external link)
Nice! Is it me, or do those tires lack the aggression for gravel-dusted hard pack?

BMX tracks have changed a lot since the 80's and 90's that most older riders remember. The turns in general are taller and sloped more than in the past. It is also very common for the tracks to pave the turns. In areas where it rains often they pretty much have to due to the lack of people willing to volunteer. The riders expect polished tracks, ride clipped in, and the younger riders ride on tires that have as much in common with road tires as they do MTB tires.

Even the tracks with dirt turns aggressively water the turns and keep them well swept off. I only know of one old school BMX track, that would benefit from using knobby tires. That track is Rebel BMX in Monroe LA. Other than Rebel, there are hardly any tracks today where it would help a rider to use a tire such as you mentioned. By the way, the common pressure ran by riders in my area is close to 60-65 psi at the BMX tracks.

Philip
Does the TF actually know about the soda cans and PVC pipe from 30 years ago?

EightEleven
Car enthusiast and an all around nice guy
1,657 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Nov 2012

May 17, 2018 11:09 |  #1656

NOPE.. I scrolled before I saw what was really happening to that boys arm.. THank goodness i only caught a glimpse lol

Ron Snarski
flickr (external link)
C&C always welcome!

waterrockets
Goldmember
3,872 posts
Joined Jun 2010

May 17, 2018 11:26 |  #1657

Nogo wrote in post #18626980 (external link)
BMX tracks have changed a lot since the 80's and 90's that most older riders remember. The turns in general are taller and sloped more than in the past. It is also very common for the tracks to pave the turns. In areas where it rains often they pretty much have to due to the lack of people willing to volunteer. The riders expect polished tracks, ride clipped in, and the younger riders ride on tires that have as much in common with road tires as they do MTB tires.

Even the tracks with dirt turns aggressively water the turns and keep them well swept off. I only know of one old school BMX track, that would benefit from using knobby tires. That track is Rebel BMX in Monroe LA. Other than Rebel, there are hardly any tracks today where it would help a rider to use a tire such as you mentioned. By the way, the common pressure ran by riders in my area is close to 60-65 psi at the BMX tracks.

Wow, it has been a while. Thanks for the summary on changes. In the crash image, it looked like washing out due to not enough traction. I saw all the pavement at the last couple of Olympics, and can certainly appreciate a slick tire there. Even back in the 90s, I was riding Slickrock Canyon on my 26" MTB with road slicks (super fun on the steepest of terrain).

Interestingly, there's been a move to lower tire pressures in road racing. Many of the tubless systems now can operate at 20-30psi lower than a tubed clincher at the same rolling resistance (bigger contact patch, yadda/yadda). I much prefer slicks full time for racing and training on the road.

Happy shooting!

1D MkIV | 1D MkIII | 550D w/grip & ML| EF 70-200mm f2.8L| EF 24-105mm f4L IS | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC | 430EXii | EF 50mm f1.8

Lloera
191 posts
Joined Jan 2014

8 hours ago |  #1658

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links

494,600 views & 441 likes for this thread
This Is gonna hurt...Show Yours
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.