Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 16 May 2018 (Wednesday) 21:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Storing Seamless Paper

tim1970
580 posts
Gallery: 96 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

May 16, 2018 21:18 |  #1

I know you are supposed to store seamless upright, but what if you only have 8 ft ceilings in your house? Is it ok to store it in a corner, slightly leaning?

I have the roll of seamless inside of a rigid 4" PVC pipe, so there shouldn't be any uneven pressure on the roll.

Gear

Flickr (external link) | Web Page (external link)

sponsored links
ThreeHounds
701 posts
Gallery: 71 photos
Joined Mar 2014
Post edited 7 days ago by ThreeHounds.

May 17, 2018 08:04 |  #2

Before I got to my new house with 10, 12 & 15' ceilings, I stored my seamless in the original carton with plastic bag, in the garage, laying down. Never had a problem with flatting or anything else. Now everything stands on end in a bathroom that I've designated for storage.
Vinyl will have issues laying down. The weight will compress the vinyl and you'll get flat spots on the bottom side of the roll.

5D MkIII | 7D | Bronica ETRS
EF 24-105 f/4 L | EF 85mm f/1.8 USM | EF 17-40 f/4 L | EF 70-300 f/4 L | 105 f/3.5 Zenzanon | Tamron SP90 f/2.8 Di Macro VC USM
flickr (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,216 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Jun 2011

May 17, 2018 08:14 |  #3

I'm convinced that the shorter rolls do fine laying flat, and I think that is a better option than at an angle.

Long rolls are likely to warp a bit if laying flat or at an angle.

I have a couple short rolls that I have been "trying" to warp that so far are fine.

I'm talking about the amount of paper=short/long

And the width being 107 inches, or whatever it is exactly that savage ships.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

tim1970
THREAD ­ STARTER
580 posts
Gallery: 96 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

May 17, 2018 14:04 as a reply to  @ Left Handed Brisket's post |  #4

Do you think it would be an issue with me storing it outside in my barn? I have tall enough ceilings there to stand it completely upright. Since it will be inside a 4" pvc pipe there is no way for it to get wet, but it will be exposed to hot and cold temperatures. You

Gear

Flickr (external link) | Web Page (external link)

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
18,771 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 18, 2018 23:57 |  #5

I have all my 107" rolls lying on a angle in a corner in their original boxes. Haven't seen any problem.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

Osa713
Goldmember
1,078 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Jun 2011

May 20, 2018 01:15 as a reply to  @ tim1970's post |  #6

Keeping them room temp would be best, you might see inconsistencies in color and texture by leaving them in a barn.

LIGHT>LENS>BODY

sponsored links

220 views & 0 likes for this thread
Storing Seamless Paper
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.