Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon G-series Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 14th of September 2006 (Thu)   #1
tkcom

Default G7!

From BeBit site... it's official!

http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/psg7/index-e.html

Funny, isn't it? EOS 400D/Xti didn't get Digic III.

50D (10-22, 18-55 IS, , Nifty, 70-300 APO, 580EXII)
flickr | photoblog

Last edited by tkcom : 14th of September 2006 (Thu) at 06:24.
tkcom is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 14th of September 2006 (Thu)   #2
rgravel

Default Re: G7!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkcom
From BeBit site... it's official!

http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/psg7/index-e.html

Funny, isn't it? EOS 400D/Xti didn't get Digic III.
But G7 doesn't get RAW
Old 14th of September 2006 (Thu)   #3
tkcom

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgravel
But G7 doesn't get RAW
They killed it... along with vari-angle screen.

50D (10-22, 18-55 IS, , Nifty, 70-300 APO, 580EXII)
flickr | photoblog
tkcom is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 14th of September 2006 (Thu)   #4
atika

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkcom
They killed it... along with vari-angle screen.
and the F2-F3 lens, and the built in ND filter
atika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of September 2006 (Thu)   #5
SHKJ

Default G7 is finally out !!!!!

Hi all,
Well I guess my sources we eight the G7 is real

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0609/06091405_canon_g7.asp

looks very gook except for no RAW mode and I am kinda diapointed in the fact that it is now a F4.8 from the previous G6's F3.0....at any rate gotta wait until it his the review sites to see if it is a worthy upgrade to the G6 !!!!.....shkj
SHKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of September 2006 (Thu)   #6
andrewaaa5

Default Re: G7 is finally out !!!!!

now I have to eat my hat.... : (
andrewaaa5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of September 2006 (Thu)   #7
sdommin

Default G7 - A Step Backwards?

Well, now that the G7 has been announced, we can all breathe a sigh of relief that our little "G-Series" forum won't close! My thoughts on the newest model...

It appears to me that the "high water mark" of the G-Series was the G6. The new G7 (in my opinion) is a step down from that. I can just see some marketing pinhead at Canon telling the engineers not to include this feature or that feature - "it will eat into the sales of our DSLRs".

Even though I rarely used RAW, I liked to have the option when I needed it. I'm disappointed that Canon chose to not even give us that option. Its one thing to not include something because of its extra cost - its quite another to deliberately disable a feature to protect a totally different product (all photos start out as RAW, even if your final product is a JPG).

No swivel screen! One of the best and most distinguishing features of the G-Series is gone! I used the swivel screen on my G3 100% of the time - that's right, I never even once used the "optical" viewfinder. And the flat screens on the backs of cameras aren't nearly as easy to use. At least they could have thrown in an EVF instead of the crappy optical viewfinder that I'm sure is going to be there.

No built-in ND filter? Say it isn't so!!

Uses SD cards instead of CF (why?).

Slightly longer lens reach (210mm equiv. vs. 140mm of the earlier Gs). Same blah 35mm equiv. at the wide angle end.

Will I buy one? Based on just the new "specs" alone, I would not. However, if I see some sample photos that are sure to come on the various review sites, and I see that the image quality is up to G-Series standards, I might give it a try.

http://www.pbase.com/sdommin/favorites
sdommin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of September 2006 (Thu)   #8
NickSimcheck
Sir Chimp-a-lot

I do see how the G7 looks very appealing to the prosumer. However I also see that they are leaving something for us to be desired...Pro 2 Anyone?

You heard it here first!
Old 14th of September 2006 (Thu)   #9
superkully

No CF cards, can't use the BP-511, no RAW.

This seems more like a beefed up A series.

It's great to see a G7, but I think I'll be keeping the G5 and upgrading to a DSLR when the time comes. A shame as IS with f/2 and ISO 1600 would have been grand.
superkully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of September 2006 (Thu)   #10
twalker294

The G7 is a pathetic excuse for a G and I am VERY disappointed in Canon. The lack of a swivel screen is inexcusable. The 2.8-4.8 lens is equally pathetic, as is the absence of RAW. I can't say I'm surprised because they don't want their "prosumer" line cutting into DSLR sales but surely they have the foresight to see that many DSLR owners also own a more compact camera and they would like that camera to be as capable as possible.

The value of used G6s on Ebay just went up significantly. I'll be keeping my G3 thank you very much...

Todd

Quote:
Originally Posted by superkully
This seems more like a beefed up A series.
The G7 is nothing but an A710 with a hotshoe and a 10mp sensor. They slapped a G7 label on it to appease those who were looking for a successor to the G6. This is a G in name only. Pathetic.

Todd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewaaa5
now I have to eat my hat.... : (
No hat eating necessary -- this is a G in name only. The only advantage that it has over the A710 is the hotshoe (10mp on a sensor this size is NOT a good thing.) Otherwise it's the same camera as the A710.

What does the G7 have over the G6? Image Stabilization, nothing else. What does the G6 have over the G7? Flip LCD, RAW mode, f/2.0-3.0 lens. If the models were reversed and the G6 had just been announced today with the G7 being the older model, we would all be jumping for joy at the faster lens, flip LCD, and RAW mode.

The G7 is not a successor to the G6 -- it's a downgrade.

Last edited by Jon : 14th of September 2006 (Thu) at 09:41. Reason: Thread merge
twalker294 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of September 2006 (Thu)   #11
Suedezu

I too think that the new G7 isn't worth buying it.

It's a shame that all the great features on the G6 are lacking on the G7.

What's totally unacceptable is the crappy lens, the lack of swivel screen and RAW.

Shame on Canon.

I totally agree with twalker294: it's a real downgrade.

Last edited by Jon : 14th of September 2006 (Thu) at 09:42.
Suedezu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of September 2006 (Thu)   #12
mattjs

Default Re: G7 - A Step Backwards?

I'm ready to upgrade my G3, and was sure the G7 would be it. Not so fast I guess...

I would rather have RAW (though I really don't use it so this doesn't bother me so much). But no swivel screen is a huge disapointment. Image Stabilization is great but it sure doesn't seem like much of an advantage when it comes with a slower lens. No ND filter hurts. The other thing is the lack of much of a handgrip. Hard to say if that's positive, negative, or neutral. I'm leaning towards it being a negative but we'll see. DIGIC III could be nice though.

For me I guess it'll come down to whether:
1. image quality can at least match my G3 (though really should match G6).
2. it can deliver clean images at higher ISOs
3. improved speed/accuracy of the autofocus, and quicker shot to shot times
4. whether it's comfortable to hold

If it can't deliver significantly on all of those points I'm gonna look at other options. One of which is to just keep my great G3. I just have no interest in a DSLR and would've paid big bucs for a killer new G. If it had seriously delivered on all the above, plus had the flip out LCD, RAW, and F2.0 lens, I was ready to pay up to $1,000 for it. I'm just waiting to hand over the cash. What a bummer. I'm so frustrated with Canon right now, but I'll reserve judgement till dpreview finishes up a review.

Last edited by mattjs : 14th of September 2006 (Thu) at 10:33.
mattjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of September 2006 (Thu)   #13
Seehund

Wow, a $600 A710 with a hot-shoe!
I'm sure that's exactly what the "G customer segment" is looking for! Not.

The speed increase of the DIGIC III seems a bit low to me to warrant a new "generation" label. 2 fps? I get that from my A620 (which I'm very happy with, you can have my tilt-and-swivel LCD when you pry it from my cold dead hands...). Strange that they didn't also put the DIGIC III in the A630/640/710 though.
Seehund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of September 2006 (Thu)   #14
davidfig
we over look the simplest things

Is that a 20D style rotary dial? Cool!
Old 14th of September 2006 (Thu)   #15
dbump

What a disappointment! It has so much potential that it's even more tragic that it's been intentionally crippled. The ISO control knob is brilliant. That's a feature Canon has been needing across the board.
If they had only retained RAW and the articulated LCD (and, arguably, the 7.1MP sensor), this would be a serious camera. I'd absolutely buy one. As it is, it's sort of a sad joke.
dbump is offline   Reply With Quote