LIST NEARBY THREADS

tkcom
Joined Apr 2006
75 posts
Vancouver, BC
[MORE/SHARE]

From BeBit site... it's official!

http://web.canon.jp/Im​aging/psg7/index-e.htmlexternal link

Funny, isn't it? EOS 400D/Xti didn't get Digic III.

Post #1, Sep 14, 2006 06:03:32

TK
50D (10-22, 18-55 IS, , Nifty, 70-300 APO, 580EXII)
flickrexternal link | photoblogexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
rgravel
Joined Apr 2004
307 posts
Gatineau, PQ, Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

tkcom wrote:
From BeBit site... it's official!

http://web.canon.jp/Im​aging/psg7/index-e.htmlexternal link

Funny, isn't it? EOS 400D/Xti didn't get Digic III.

But G7 doesn't get RAW :(

Post #2, Sep 14, 2006 06:24:17

Robert Gravel www.robertgravel.ca/
EOS 7D + grip, EF 400 f5.6 L, EF 70-200 f4 I.S. L, EF 17-40 f4 L, EF 24-105 L, EF 100 f2.8 macro, EF 40 Pancake, 430 EX II, 430 EX, S90, EOS Elan 7N

tkcom
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Apr 2006
75 posts
Vancouver, BC
[MORE/SHARE]

rgravel wrote:
But G7 doesn't get RAW :(

They killed it... along with vari-angle screen. :(

Post #3, Sep 14, 2006 06:28:18 as a reply to rgravel's post 4 minutes earlier.

TK
50D (10-22, 18-55 IS, , Nifty, 70-300 APO, 580EXII)
flickrexternal link | photoblogexternal link

atika
Mostly Lurking
Joined Aug 2005
16 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

tkcom wrote:
They killed it... along with vari-angle screen. :(

and the F2-F3 lens, and the built in ND filter

Post #4, Sep 14, 2006 06:42:27 as a reply to tkcom's post 14 minutes earlier.

SHKJ
Joined Nov 2004
42 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

G7 is finally out !!!!!

Hi all,
Well I guess my sources we eight the G7 is real

http://www.dpreview.co​m ...609/06091405_canon_​g7.aspexternal link

looks very gook except for no RAW mode and I am kinda diapointed in the fact that it is now a F4.8 from the previous G6's F3.0....at any rate gotta wait until it his the review sites to see if it is a worthy upgrade to the G6 !!!!.....shkj

Post #5, Sep 14, 2006 07:13:26

sponsored links
andrewaaa5
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2004
1,225 posts
scandinavia
[MORE/SHARE]

now I have to eat my hat.... : (

Post #6, Sep 14, 2006 07:31:16 as a reply to SHKJ's post 17 minutes earlier.

andrew crighton
website -- > www.butterpeanut.comexternal link
flickr -- > flickr/photos/andrewaa​a5external link

sdommin
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2002
1,206 posts
New Hampshire
[MORE/SHARE]

G7 - A Step Backwards?

Well, now that the G7 has been announced, we can all breathe a sigh of relief that our little "G-Series" forum won't close! My thoughts on the newest model...

It appears to me that the "high water mark" of the G-Series was the G6. The new G7 (in my opinion) is a step down from that. I can just see some marketing pinhead at Canon telling the engineers not to include this feature or that feature - "it will eat into the sales of our DSLRs".

Even though I rarely used RAW, I liked to have the option when I needed it. I'm disappointed that Canon chose to not even give us that option. Its one thing to not include something because of its extra cost - its quite another to deliberately disable a feature to protect a totally different product (all photos start out as RAW, even if your final product is a JPG).

No swivel screen! One of the best and most distinguishing features of the G-Series is gone! I used the swivel screen on my G3 100% of the time - that's right, I never even once used the "optical" viewfinder. And the flat screens on the backs of cameras aren't nearly as easy to use. At least they could have thrown in an EVF instead of the crappy optical viewfinder that I'm sure is going to be there.

No built-in ND filter? Say it isn't so!!

Uses SD cards instead of CF (why?).

Slightly longer lens reach (210mm equiv. vs. 140mm of the earlier Gs). Same blah 35mm equiv. at the wide angle end.

Will I buy one? Based on just the new "specs" alone, I would not. However, if I see some sample photos that are sure to come on the various review sites, and I see that the image quality is up to G-Series standards, I might give it a try.

Post #7, Sep 14, 2006 08:05:23

Scott
http://www.pbase.com/s​dommin/favoritesexternal link

NickSimcheck
Sir Chimp-a-lot
Joined Dec 2005
3,601 posts
SE, Michigan
[MORE/SHARE]

I do see how the G7 looks very appealing to the prosumer. However I also see that they are leaving something for us to be desired...Pro 2 Anyone?

You heard it here first!

Post #8, Sep 14, 2006 08:44:00

Gear List | Feedback | Model Mayhemexternal link | About.Meexternal linkhttp://www.flickr.com/​photos/nicksimcheckexternal link

superkully
Joined Sep 2005
153 posts
England
[MORE/SHARE]

No CF cards, can't use the BP-511, no RAW.

This seems more like a beefed up A series.

It's great to see a G7, but I think I'll be keeping the G5 and upgrading to a DSLR when the time comes. A shame as IS with f/2 and ISO 1600 would have been grand.

Post #9, Sep 14, 2006 08:47:28 as a reply to NickSimcheck's post 3 minutes earlier.

twalker294
Joined Jan 2002
665 posts
Louisiana, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

The G7 is a pathetic excuse for a G and I am VERY disappointed in Canon. The lack of a swivel screen is inexcusable. The 2.8-4.8 lens is equally pathetic, as is the absence of RAW. I can't say I'm surprised because they don't want their "prosumer" line cutting into DSLR sales but surely they have the foresight to see that many DSLR owners also own a more compact camera and they would like that camera to be as capable as possible.

The value of used G6s on Ebay just went up significantly. I'll be keeping my G3 thank you very much...

Todd

superkully wrote:
This seems more like a beefed up A series.

The G7 is nothing but an A710 with a hotshoe and a 10mp sensor. They slapped a G7 label on it to appease those who were looking for a successor to the G6. This is a G in name only. Pathetic.

Todd

Andrewaaa5 wrote:
now I have to eat my hat.... : (

No hat eating necessary -- this is a G in name only. The only advantage that it has over the A710 is the hotshoe (10mp on a sensor this size is NOT a good thing.) Otherwise it's the same camera as the A710.

What does the G7 have over the G6? Image Stabilization, nothing else. What does the G6 have over the G7? Flip LCD, RAW mode, f/2.0-3.0 lens. If the models were reversed and the G6 had just been announced today with the G7 being the older model, we would all be jumping for joy at the faster lens, flip LCD, and RAW mode.

The G7 is not a successor to the G6 -- it's a downgrade.

Post #10, Sep 14, 2006 08:56:56 as a reply to sdommin's post 51 minutes earlier.

Todd Walker
http://twalker294.post​erous.com/external linkhttp://www.twphotograp​hy.netexternal link
Canon 40D, 10D, G9, SX20IS, and SD500

Suedezu
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2005
1,511 posts
Romania
[MORE/SHARE]

I too think that the new G7 isn't worth buying it.

It's a shame that all the great features on the G6 are lacking on the G7.

What's totally unacceptable is the crappy lens, the lack of swivel screen and RAW.

Shame on Canon.:evil:

I totally agree with twalker294: it's a real downgrade.

Post #11, Sep 14, 2006 09:34:15 as a reply to twalker294's post 37 minutes earlier.

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon EOS 30D, EF 50mm f/1.4, EF 85mm f/1.8,EF 17-40mm F4 USM L, EF 24-70 F 2.8 L, EF 70-200 mm F4 IS USM L
General gallery: http://andreimorar.zen​folio.comexternal linkCommercial wedding photography:www.andrei-morar.ro

sponsored links
mattjs
Joined Jun 2003
114 posts
Boston, MA USA
[MORE/SHARE]

I'm ready to upgrade my G3, and was sure the G7 would be it. Not so fast I guess...

I would rather have RAW (though I really don't use it so this doesn't bother me so much). But no swivel screen is a huge disapointment. Image Stabilization is great but it sure doesn't seem like much of an advantage when it comes with a slower lens. No ND filter hurts. The other thing is the lack of much of a handgrip. Hard to say if that's positive, negative, or neutral. I'm leaning towards it being a negative but we'll see. DIGIC III could be nice though.

For me I guess it'll come down to whether:
1. image quality can at least match my G3 (though really should match G6).
2. it can deliver clean images at higher ISOs
3. improved speed/accuracy of the autofocus, and quicker shot to shot times
4. whether it's comfortable to hold

If it can't deliver significantly on all of those points I'm gonna look at other options. One of which is to just keep my great G3. I just have no interest in a DSLR and would've paid big bucs for a killer new G. If it had seriously delivered on all the above, plus had the flip out LCD, RAW, and F2.0 lens, I was ready to pay up to $1,000 for it. I'm just waiting to hand over the cash. What a bummer. I'm so frustrated with Canon right now, but I'll reserve judgement till dpreview finishes up a review.

Post #12, Sep 14, 2006 09:42:38 as a reply to sdommin's post 1 hour earlier.

- Matt
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/dmspicsexternal link

Seehund
Mostly Lurking
Joined Sep 2006
11 posts
Dar al-Harb
[MORE/SHARE]

Wow, a $600 A710 with a hot-shoe!
I'm sure that's exactly what the "G customer segment" is looking for! Not.

The speed increase of the DIGIC III seems a bit low to me to warrant a new "generation" label. 2 fps? I get that from my A620 (which I'm very happy with, you can have my tilt-and-swivel LCD when you pry it from my cold dead hands...). Strange that they didn't also put the DIGIC III in the A630/640/710 though.

Post #13, Sep 14, 2006 09:57:00

davidfig
we over look the simplest things
Joined May 2005
3,169 posts
Fremont, California USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Is that a 20D style rotary dial? Cool!

Post #14, Sep 14, 2006 10:10:37

5D | 17-40L | Tammy 28-75 2.8 | 28-135 | 50/1.8 | 85/1.8 | Sony A6000 2-Lens Kit | SEL35 1.8

dbump
Joined Apr 2003
753 posts
Denver, CO
[MORE/SHARE]

What a disappointment! It has so much potential that it's even more tragic that it's been intentionally crippled. The ISO control knob is brilliant. That's a feature Canon has been needing across the board.
If they had only retained RAW and the articulated LCD (and, arguably, the 7.1MP sensor), this would be a serious camera. I'd absolutely buy one. As it is, it's sort of a sad joke.

Post #15, Sep 14, 2006 10:44:39

7D, G10, 17-55 f/2.8 IS, 70-200 f/2.8 IS, 100 Macro, 50 f/1.4, 430EX II
There are no wrong notes
--Thelonious Monk

LIST NEARBY THREADS
36,665 views & 0 likes for this thread
G7!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES