Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial
Thread started 14 Nov 2006 (Tuesday) 19:22
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Astrophotography

Protium
THREAD ­ STARTER
86 posts
Joined Oct 2006
New Brunswick, Canada
Nov 15, 2006 18:07 |  #16

Thanks for the comments everyone,

SgWRX, I am very certain the only way I will ever own the astronomy gear I would like to have would be to win the lottery lol, but if I ever do become independently wealthy I think one of my first purchases would be a <0.2 anstrom H-alpha filtered Astro-Physics APO refractor *stops to wipe drool from keyboard*

I don't have any shots of the ring nebula but how about a moddest attempt at M51
and a shot of Orion. I normally image under moderetly light polluted skys so I tend to focus more on objects in our solar system or the larger and brighter DSOs.

IMAGE: http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/2361/whirl3oj2.jpg

IMAGE: http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/6531/orion2vy1.jpg

I just aquired a televue 5X powermate that I havn't really had a chance to use yet and I will probably try my hand at some more DSOs this winter so I will post some more when I get some new shots.

sponsored links
Steevo
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Oct 2006
Nov 15, 2006 19:18 |  #17

Protium, great stuff. I like them all.

What lense did you use for the widefield Orion shot?

That solar photo is excellent! I did'nt know detail like that was visible in a PST. Or Is it not "visible" at the eyepiece and only shows up on the CCD? Is it a stock PST or have you added filters? They seem like a great value at $500, even more so when compared to the price of a larger aperture H-Alpha scope.

Hope I'm not being too annoying with all the questions.

Steve

SgWRX
395 posts
Joined Jun 2005
Wi
Nov 15, 2006 19:23 as a reply to Protium's post |  #18

awesome! hey, is that an NGC galaxy to the right of M51 near the edge of the frame? how long are your exposures?

Protium
THREAD ­ STARTER
86 posts
Joined Oct 2006
New Brunswick, Canada
Nov 15, 2006 20:20 |  #19

Thanks Steve, I don't mind anwsering questions at all,
I used a Canon f/1.8 50mm for the Orion shot and I used an unstacked PST for the Halpha image. Quite a bit of detail is visible at the eye piece but you have to keep in mind that the it is PURE red with MUCH lower contrast. I use a few different pieces of software to enhance my PST images, including MaxImDL for deconvolution, PIxInsight for wavelet processing and photoshop for Color and contrast adjustment. So while all the detail is definatly visible it is subtle and can take some time to fully take in.

You can't go wrong with a PST for the price but keep in mind they are not designed with imaging in mind. They have very limited back focus, so an SLR won't come to focus without some modification to the PST or something in between to move the focal point.

Thanks SgWRX, Yes it is definatly a galaxy. I am fairly sure it is NGC 5169.
All my shots are unguided so I keep my exposures short and stack multiple images to bring out the faint detail. The M42 and M51 images are a combination of about 9 or 10 40sec images each and I believe the Orion photo was around a 2 minute exposure with my 300D piggybacking on my scope.

tiefelj
274 posts
Joined May 2005
Kent, WA
Nov 15, 2006 22:42 as a reply to Protium's post |  #20

IMHO, the moon shot looks simple, but I think it's the hardest to do well. I know, I tried when I had my Questar. The H-alpha shots are great.

Well done. As always--the Heavens declare!

Jake

Jake Tiefel

SgWRX
395 posts
Joined Jun 2005
Wi
Nov 15, 2006 23:03 |  #21

Protium wrote in post #2269063external link
Thanks SgWRX, Yes it is definatly a galaxy. I am fairly sure it is NGC 5169.
All my shots are unguided so I keep my exposures short and stack multiple images to bring out the faint detail. The M42 and M51 images are a combination of about 9 or 10 40sec images each and I believe the Orion photo was around a 2 minute exposure with my 300D piggybacking on my scope.

oh ok. wow it really turned out well.

calicokat
Cream of the Crop
14,720 posts
Joined Oct 2005
Southern California
Nov 16, 2006 04:45 |  #22

Very nice photos, i am drawn to the saturn shot

"You are going to fall off a cliff trying to get a better shot someday"- My hopeful and loving wife :eek: :twisted:
My Websiteexternal link

My Gear

Calicokat 1990-2007 RIP My Loving Kitty

drdragon666
349 posts
Joined Jun 2006
essex uk
Nov 17, 2006 01:44 as a reply to calicokat's post |  #23

i dont really know what to say ,,,,nice photos

ive just bought a ext90 meade lol and now thinking that i souldnt post any shots i get lol

keep up the good work,,look forward to seeing some more

ONE SECOND OR LESS BEHIND A CANON
FOR THAT 1 SECOND OR LESS IM FREE :cool:

2009 365day photo project
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/tonys2009blog/external link

Protium
THREAD ­ STARTER
86 posts
Joined Oct 2006
New Brunswick, Canada
Nov 17, 2006 16:42 |  #24

drdragon666 wrote in post #2275026external link
i dont really know what to say ,,,,nice photos

ive just bought a ext90 meade lol and now thinking that i souldnt post any shots i get lol

Believe me, there are MUCH better amature images out there then mine but I don't let that stop me from posting. I would like to see what you can sqeeze out of it, probably some good lunar shots :)

Thanks again guys.

Packhorse-4
425 posts
Joined Jul 2006
Missouri
Nov 18, 2006 09:19 |  #25

Amazing pictures! The first moon picture is my favorite. Thanks for sharing.

John

My Photosexternal link | My Gear

sponsored links

9,729 views & 0 likes for this thread
Astrophotography
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.