Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Thread started 02 Jan 2007 (Tuesday) 08:27
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Kimwipes For Lens Cleaning?

scottbergerphoto
Cream of the Crop
5,429 posts
Joined Jun 2003
Brooklyn, NY, USA
Jan 02, 2007 08:27 |  #1

I've been doing alot of reading on lens cleaning and came across a number of people using Kimwipes with their own preferred liquid cleaner (ROR, Rexton, Formila MC). Has anyone here had any experience using Kimwipes to clean lenses with a liquid cleaner?

One World, One Voice Against Terror,
Best Regards,
Scott
ScottBergerPhotography

sponsored links
Grey56
158 posts
Joined Jan 2005
MA
Jan 02, 2007 09:14 |  #2

I am a scientist by day and we use Kimwipes in the lab for all sorts of crucial work. I say, if it's good enough for the FDA, it's good enough for me. I'd be interested to hear what others have to say as well though.

Cheers!
Jennifer

Jennifer
www.karindailey.comexternal link

10D, backup 10D, Tokina 10-17, Sigma 18-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, 50/1.4, 100/2, 70-200/2.8IS, 430EX

rklepper
Dignity-Esteem-Compassion
8,994 posts
Joined Dec 2003
No longer living at the center of the known universe, moved just slightly to the right. Iowa, USA.
Jan 02, 2007 09:46 |  #3

We use Kimwipes in the lab for all kinds of crucial applications where the movement of light through a surface is critical. It is the recommended cleaning wipe by many manufacturers. The biologists also use them for cleaning things like microscope slides, etc...

Doc Klepper in the USA
I
am a photorealist, I like my photos with a touch of what was actually there.
Polite C&C always welcome, Thanks. Gear List

Tee ­ Why
"Monkey's uncle"
10,596 posts
Joined Feb 2006
Pasadena, CA
Jan 02, 2007 14:35 |  #4

They are not very absorbant, and tend to smear the lens cleaner fluid in my view.
I prefer a microfiber instead.

Gallery: http://tomyi.smugmug.c​om/external link

rdenney
Rick "who is not suited for any one title" Denney
2,399 posts
Joined Jun 2003
Jan 02, 2007 15:54 |  #5

Tee Why wrote in post #2478843external link
They are not very absorbant, and tend to smear the lens cleaner fluid in my view.
I prefer a microfiber instead.

No offense, but you think Kimwipes are not absorbant but you think microfiber is? Microfiber is polyester, which isn't absorbant at all. You use microfiber dry, and the notion is that the fibers are small enough to lift off the oil between the fibers, not by absorption.

I tried the microfibers for a while, but eventually the cloth gets dirty and the lenses get smeary.

I used to use Kodak lens paper and cleaner, but now I use Residual Oil Remover (ROR) and Kimwipes.

But to me the cure is worse than the disease in the long run. I never clean lenses unless they are visibly dirty, and by more than just a bit of dust.

Rick "thinking compulsive lens cleaners do damage no matter what their materials" Denney

The List

canoflan
Goldmember
1,059 posts
Joined Jul 2006
Texas, US
Jan 02, 2007 16:53 |  #6
banned

Grey56 wrote in post #2477547external link
I say, if it's good enough for the FDA, it's good enough for me. Cheers!
Jennifer

Hmmmm...have to think about that one.:confused:

Tom ­ W
Canon Fanosapien
12,743 posts
Joined Feb 2003
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Jan 02, 2007 19:51 |  #7

I use Kimwipes. They aren't very absorbent (at least not the lens-tissue ones), but they're lint-free and clean. Just use fluid sparingly with them.

I'm not in favor of re-useable tissues and cloths - one piece of imbedded grit can scratch a lens.

Tom
5D III, 70D, & various lenses

Dbix
374 posts
Joined Jun 2006
Chandler, AZ
Jan 02, 2007 20:01 as a reply to Tom W's post |  #8

Zeiss cleaning cloths are by far the best way to clean lenses that I have ever used. You don't have to worry about using too much fluid etc. because it's already wet. You just open up a package and rub it on your lens. I use it in conjunction with a lens pen.

Flickrexternal link

Roger ­ Cicala
507 posts
Joined Jan 2005
Memphis, TN
Jan 02, 2007 20:59 |  #9

Lens Pen! Amazing little tool. I run a rental company and have to clean 2 to 5 lenses a day. I'll use liquid and Pec pads or microfiber cloth if the lens has oily smears but otherwise lens pen just does an amazing job.

My gear is www.lensrentals.comexternal link

elader
Goldmember
2,374 posts
Joined Nov 2005
Maryland
Jan 02, 2007 21:13 |  #10

Sorry but you guys are nuts. Kimwipes? Scientists? Kinwipes are PAPER, which is made of WOOD and are NOT lint free. That's why Zeiss and Leica and Olympus, et al use LENS paper to clean their microscope lenses.

Use a pec pad and eclipse for crissakes. First blow or brush away dirt and leave the kimwipes to runny noses. Just be careful to not grind any microdirt into the lens.

Eric
FJR1300 rider
5D mkIII and 1D MkIII

16-35L | 24-105L | 70-200L f/2.8IS | 85 f/1.8 / 50 f.1,4

scottbergerphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,429 posts
Joined Jun 2003
Brooklyn, NY, USA
Jan 03, 2007 07:19 as a reply to elader's post |  #11

Thank you for all your input. I haven't been thrilled with the absorbency of Pec Pads and I want to try an alternative. I just ordered some Kimwipes from B&H to use with ROR or Rexton. I hope to be able to leave the Pec Pads for sensor cleaning.

Best Regards,
Scott
ScottBergerPhotography

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
38,873 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by Wilt.
Jan 03, 2007 12:52 |  #12

From http://en.wikipedia.or​g ...imberly-Clark_Corporation (external link) ...

"KimWipes
KimWipes are a type of cleaning tissue commonly used in laboratories. KimWipes are composed of paper, silicon, and other substances. As a result of the silicon, the paper is somewhat rough feeling. KimWipes are used to wipe a variety of items, including slides and pipettes. They are often used to clean lenses as well, but lens tissue should be used instead to avoid scratching the optical surfaces."

And about cleaning astronimical lenses, from http://observers.org/c​leaning.optics.html (external link) ...

"3. Clean the barrel of the lens. Fold a small kimwipe into a small square pad and apply a couple of drops of methanol to a corner. Wipe down the eyeguard rubber and the barrel. Do not use kimwipes on the coated surface because the fibers of these lint-free wipes may scratch it. I like to lay down a large kimwipe to set the tools and eyepieces on while working. "

My first job was in the semiconductor industry making integrated circuits. We had Kimwipes that were used in the process. If you used them to blow your nose when you had a cold, you learned just how abrasive feeling those things are!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

scottbergerphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,429 posts
Joined Jun 2003
Brooklyn, NY, USA
Jan 04, 2007 07:18 as a reply to Wilt's post |  #13

I am surprised by the contents of your post Wilt. I did a Google search and found alot of knowledgeable/experien​ced people using Kimwipes on their lenses. B&H describes them as, "Kimwipes are disposable wipers designed by Kimberly Clark, that have a fine crepe surface that is super absorbent, strong, and nonabrasive."
also:
http://listserv.buffal​o.edu ...L=confocal&D=0&T=0&​P=2889external link

I guess I'll check them out when they arrive and see.

Best Regards,
Scott
ScottBergerPhotography

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
38,873 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Jan 04, 2007 11:47 |  #14

scottbergerphoto wrote in post #2487401external link
I am surprised by the contents of your post Wilt. I did a Google search and found alot of knowledgeable/experien​ced people using Kimwipes on their lenses. B&H describes them as, "Kimwipes are disposable wipers designed by Kimberly Clark, that have a fine crepe surface that is super absorbent, strong, and nonabrasive."
also:
http://listserv.buffal​o.edu ...L=confocal&D=0&T=0&​P=2889external link

I guess I'll check them out when they arrive and see.

The opinions on Kimwipes seems to be all over the place! In particular, there is ZERO information from Kimberly Clark. But consider the fact that they are a PAPER products producer, and paper is wood pulp, and a number of manufacturer's optics care publications allude to the fact that cotton is fine to use, but wood pulp-based products are NOT fine to use on optics. These instructions from microscope and telescope optics manufacturers, that I have seen in past searches.

If you look at the instructions from universities to its students in care and cleaning of lab optics, even that has differences of opinion from university to university!...Some say to wipe optics with Kimwipes; others say to wide the exteriors of equipment and perhaps to blot up exceesses of oils (for oil-immersion miscroscope optics) but to use LENS TISSUE with lens cleaning fluids (or very brief wiping with methyl alcohol so as to not dissolve the cements that hold the lens element in place). Kimwipe is lint free, and relative good for wiping up spills or excess fluids, so in the university student lab setting, it makes some sense for cleaning spills. My guess is that since lots of it is around, it got conscripted for even cleaning lenses, but at some universitiesthis was done grad student lab assistants who simply did not know better, and that legacy remains with us in some places. At other universities, more astute lab assistants knew better!

Lastly, I refer back to my previous comments about blowing my nose into Kimwipes in the past and how rough it was (and we all know about how abraided our noses get during colds and extended use of Kleenex or other tissues based on wood pulp!). Kimberly-Clark and wood pulp products are synonymous, so would you trust your lens coatings to their products? Finally, there was a published story in Pop Photography (or Modern Photography) many many years ago when microfiber was not yet readily available outside of Japan, where lens tissue that was cheap off-brand items was more abrasive to coatings than Kodak Lens Tissue which was more abrasive to coatings than microfiber when the surface was viewed under high magnification. So if the cheap 'lens tissue' abraids, dare we try Kimwipe unless we get some statement from Kimberly Clark about the freedom from wood fibers?

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

scottbergerphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,429 posts
Joined Jun 2003
Brooklyn, NY, USA
Jan 04, 2007 18:45 as a reply to Wilt's post |  #15

Food for thought.;)

Best Regards,
Scott
ScottBergerPhotography

sponsored links

7,978 views & 0 likes for this thread
Kimwipes For Lens Cleaning?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.