Speaking of batteries...

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon
Thread started 07 Jan 2007 (Sunday) 14:12   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

283CID
Joined May 2004
330 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

[try again] Does anybody have any information about how long a fully charged AA battery will remain 'good'...awaiting installation and use? I wonder if it's a function of the cost/quality?

This morning my wife's S2 announced it needed new batteries. She dug into her camera bag, brought out her set of four 'spares'...fully charged a few months ago... and the camera again announced it needed new batteries! I passed her my S3, and the job was done. Now I am charging several batteries.

We both use the 'optical' V/F and never have the LCD even open, unless we need a 'menu' for something, so we get a lot of life from the On-Air set. Tends to lull me into NOT checking the charge on the Ready Spares.

So if anybody has any *experience* with the shelf life of charged spares, I'd sure be interested in knowing what is what. EXPERIENCE, not 'SWAG'.

Post #1, Jan 07, 2007 14:12:11

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
ib2loud
Joined Oct 2006
465 posts
Oklahoma
[MORE/SHARE]

rechargeable batteries don't seem to hold a charge long at all, I have some that if they're out of the charger overnight, they're no good

Post #2, Jan 07, 2007 14:18:42

sm1rf
Joined Jul 2006
940 posts
Rawtenstall, Lancashire, England
[MORE/SHARE]

ib2loud wrote in post #2503766external link
rechargeable batteries don't seem to hold a charge long at all, I have some that if they're out of the charger overnight, they're no good

that sounds like duff batteries to me, should get a couple of weeks out of a set of batteries before charge starts to drop off. i assume we are talking about Nimhbatteries and not cadmium or other type rechargables.

Post #3, Jan 07, 2007 14:22:09

"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not purchase"

My Gear
http://underwoodphotog​raphic.zenfolio.com/external link

283CID
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2004
330 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Yes... specifically, "Tenergy", 1.2v AA, 2600mAh , Nickel-Metal Hydride............$1.​49 each.....

Oh...well..........

Post #4, Jan 07, 2007 15:38:33 as a reply to sm1rf's post 1 hour earlier.

283CID
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2004
330 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I'm beginning to think that the Better Way, is to more faithful in charging the Main batteries... and keep Duracell AA's in the bag for those 'emergency' times. Duracells are good for a few YEARS...[although are then throw-aways]. I sure don't like the idea of charged spares going flat on the shelf so soon. Heck, even with the BP-11'a for the G-1, the LiIon charged spares were good for many months.

Anyway, thanks...

Post #5, Jan 07, 2007 16:02:27 as a reply to 283CID's post 23 minutes earlier.

sponsored links
Jon

Cocker Spaniel Mod

Joined Jun 2004
68,169 posts
Bethesda, MD USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Battery self-discharge rate (how fast they'll go flat just sitting around) for NiMH cells is about 1% per day. A few months is enough to kill it.

Post #6, Jan 07, 2007 17:03:10

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

283CID
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2004
330 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks, Jon........ Well, I'm falling back onto good old Durcell for back-up. They will be ready to pull in the harness for.......... a long time. [And be a good boy and charge the Main AA's more often...]

Post #7, Jan 07, 2007 17:23:33 as a reply to Jon's post 20 minutes earlier.

Jon

Cocker Spaniel Mod

Joined Jun 2004
68,169 posts
Bethesda, MD USA
[MORE/SHARE]

I'd suggest picking up Energizer E2 lithiums instead. They do better in digicams than alkalines and also have an enormous shelf life, like 10 years. They're lighter, too.

Post #8, Jan 07, 2007 17:25:46

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

283CID
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2004
330 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Special charger? I've barely worn the shine off this $30 thing for the AA's.......

Post #9, Jan 07, 2007 17:31:17 as a reply to Jon's post 5 minutes earlier.

TomPierce
Joined May 2005
192 posts
Atlanta, Ga.
[MORE/SHARE]

The self discharge rate measures how quickly a cell will lose charge while unused. Cell chemistry and room temperature are the biggest factors.

Cell Chemistry and Shelf Life (non-rechargable)
Zinc Carbon 2 to 3 years
Alkaline 5 years
Lithium 10 years or more

Cell Chemistry and Self Discharge Rates (rechargeable)
Lead Acid 4% to 6% per month
Nickel Cadmium 15% to 20% per month
Nickel Metal Hydride 30% per month
Lithium 2% to 3% per month

Best option is to use a charger which fully discharges and then charges the battery.

What I do is to run thru a discharge/charge cycle the night before an important shoot - that way I know that the batteries are ready for action.

And a spare set of non-rechargable Lithiums have saved my butt more than once...

Tom

Post #10, Jan 07, 2007 17:50:04

I just got my sh*t together and now I can't pick it up...

283CID
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2004
330 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks, Tom... I knew of all but Lithium Ion info, from my 'working days'. 'Cycling' NiCads, etc. Likely I'll rely on COSTCO packs of Plain Old Duracells.... [keep a pile of them for wireless Mice, Keyboards, etc... El Cheapo...]

I appreciate the info....

Post #11, Jan 07, 2007 18:02:43 as a reply to TomPierce's post 12 minutes earlier.

sponsored links
sonnyJ
Joined Aug 2005
213 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Removing batteries from camera seems to keep them charged for a longer period. Not sure why but inserts in several recharges I have purchased over the pst few years advise removing batteries from unit if not being used. May have something to with - when in camera contact made with both poles - My new lithium ion paperwork states :" Make shure you remove the battery from your camera when you do not plan to use the camera for a long while.A battery left in the camera discharges a very small amount of power even when camera powere is turned off, which can lead to over discharge (sic) of battery and make it unusable."

Post #12, Jan 07, 2007 19:15:35

chrysalis
Joined Sep 2005
317 posts
Sudbury, Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

Panasonic is now sellling special NIMH batteries that they claim have very small self-discharge rates. I just bought 4 for my new S3IS.

Post #13, Jan 08, 2007 12:30:10

marc
S3IS

LIST NEARBY THREADS
692 views & 0 likes for this thread
Speaking of batteries...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES