Thread started 25 Jan 2007 (Thursday) 11:34   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

canonloader
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2006
52,875 posts
Behind A Camera
[MORE/SHARE]

I am becoming quite disallusioned with Canon stuff. Everyone says they can get some AF from the 400L 5.6 Prime by taping the pins on the 1.4x II TC. Mine just arrived, I did that and not a peep out of my AF.

Can someone take pity on an old man who is about to cry, and "show" me a picture of the pins that need taping?

Post #1, Jan 25, 2007 11:34:13

Mitch- ____...^.^...____
My Microscope Stuffexternal link
Gear List, My You Tubeexternal link
War is not about who's right, it's about who's left.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
JNunn
Joined May 2006
538 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I heard somewhere on this forum that its risky to do that. Something about the chance of burning out your AF motor.

'just what I've heard, no real knowledge.

Post #2, Jan 25, 2007 12:06:47

John_B
Cream of the Crop
Joined Sep 2006
6,753 posts
Hawaii
[MORE/SHARE]

canonloader,
Here is a photo of a Canon 2xTC with the pins taped to allow the camera to try to AF (its the last three pins).
But no pity :)

IMAGE: http://johnbdigital.com/lenses/2xtc_for_af.jpg

Post #3, Jan 25, 2007 12:20:59

60D, 40D, Lenses and Accessories & DMC-ZS40 <-- click to seeexternal link
JohnBdigital.comexternal link

TheSteveMadden
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2005
1,229 posts
Florida
[MORE/SHARE]

f/5.6 is not an arbitrary number designed by marketing to get you to buy long expensive fast glass, it's an optical compromise.

AF is achieved using prisms and lenses spaced far enough apart to determine accurate focus, yet still be within the exit aperture image area of the lens. That's why you can get better focus with the f/2.8 high precision center focus points on some cameras, the focus areas can be further apart and therefore have a longer baseline and more accurate focus determination.

If you've ever used an MF camera with a lens having too small an aperture, you'll understand. The fiewfinder image in the focus prism area will suddenly get too dark to see with as the microprisms don't have enough exit aperture width to work.

Taping the pins might or might not work based on the optical characteristics of the lens and the configuration of the AF prisms/lenses - even if it does work, you'll be at the limits of the capabilities and will probably lose low light and non-center point focusing.

Post #4, Jan 25, 2007 12:45:08

Steve
Canon EOS 5D Mark II, 30D, XT, EF 24-70 f/2.8L, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, other EF lenses, 430EX, several 580EX II's, Pocket Wizard Plus II's, lighting supports and modifiers, etc etc etc
Websiteexternal link

TheSteveMadden
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2005
1,229 posts
Florida
[MORE/SHARE]

I find it highly unlikely you'll burn out the AF motor. More likely it will just act as if there wasn't enough light or contrast to focus, racking once through it's focus range and then stopping.

Post #5, Jan 25, 2007 12:47:32

Steve
Canon EOS 5D Mark II, 30D, XT, EF 24-70 f/2.8L, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, other EF lenses, 430EX, several 580EX II's, Pocket Wizard Plus II's, lighting supports and modifiers, etc etc etc
Websiteexternal link

sponsored links
canonloader
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2006
52,875 posts
Behind A Camera
[MORE/SHARE]

John, thanks buddy, that worked on both the 2x and 1.4x, and even on an old D30. I'll try it on the 30D, as soon as it gets back from Canon, and don't ask why it's on it's way to New Jersey, cause I'm too embarrassed to admit to the facts. :)

No pity, but I owe ya a beer. ;)

Post #6, Jan 25, 2007 13:15:41

Mitch- ____...^.^...____

runninmann
what the heck do I know?
Joined Feb 2006
7,793 posts
Michigan-U.S.A.
[MORE/SHARE]

canonloader wrote in post #2598736external link
John, thanks buddy, that worked on both the 2x and 1.4x, and even on an old D30. I'll try it on the 30D, as soon as it gets back from Canon, and don't ask why it's on it's way to New Jersey, cause I'm too embarrassed to admit to the facts. :)

No pity, but I owe ya a beer. ;)

You know you've just opened a can of worms, don't you?:)

Post #7, Jan 25, 2007 14:33:33

My Gear

canonloader
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2006
52,875 posts
Behind A Camera
[MORE/SHARE]

It involves a certain split-image screen I installed, then found it more of a bother than the original, which I then tried to put back in, with it's little shim, a dab of glue and all ten thumbs on both hands. ;)

And if you laugh, I'll send my crickets to eat out the heels of your socks.

Post #8, Jan 25, 2007 14:39:51

Mitch- ____...^.^...____

Wilt
Wilt is an old fart who has extensive experience with many brands and many formats of cameras, and extensive lighting knowledge of both studio lighting and speedlights
Joined Aug 2005
33,480 posts
SF Bay area, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

Most of the stories come back that taping the pins allows the camera to try to focus, but the lens hunts a lot and the taping really does not provide the functionality that they wanted. In short, Canon says the limits to autofocus are because of the circuitry in the camera won't work well enough, not because of some arbitrary decision.

Post #9, Jan 25, 2007 15:26:47

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost!
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention
Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp

canonloader
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2006
52,875 posts
Behind A Camera
[MORE/SHARE]

It would be nice if the lens did focus right when taped. So far it doesn't, but without the tape, you don't even get the red 'in focus' mark in the center mark or the one in the bottom right corner. At least that's something. Try and get fine focus on a flat screen sometime, especially in the miniature viewfinder of the 30D or D30. ;)

Post #10, Jan 25, 2007 15:36:25

Mitch- ____...^.^...____

Wilt
Wilt is an old fart who has extensive experience with many brands and many formats of cameras, and extensive lighting knowledge of both studio lighting and speedlights
Joined Aug 2005
33,480 posts
SF Bay area, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

canonloader wrote:
but without the tape, you don't even get the red 'in focus' mark in the center mark

In the past I have used my Olympus lenses on my Canon and NOT gotten the flashing red in-focus indicator, and I thought it was because the lens was not 'talking' to the body.
Now I see that you have to LIMIT the talking between the lens and the body (by taping the pins), to get the red indicator light to work, too! So the body needs to think it can focus the lens (even if it cannot), and no-tape allows the camera to know "I cannot focus this lens"! Makes me wonder if one can short one pin to the other ON THE BODY so that even manual focus lenses have the indicator flash when in focus!

Post #11, Jan 25, 2007 15:40:56

Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention
Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp

sponsored links
canonloader
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2006
52,875 posts
Behind A Camera
[MORE/SHARE]

It seems to me that if the troubles with the 30D's and lower cameras are a software issue, since the 5 and 1D's will focus with both the 1.4 and 2x TC's, why can't someone come up with a Firmware update to fix that problem? Unless it's hardware.

Post #12, Jan 25, 2007 16:08:26

Mitch- ____...^.^...____

Wilt
Joined Aug 2005
33,480 posts
SF Bay area, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

canonloader wrote in post #2599595external link
It seems to me that if the troubles with the 30D's and lower cameras are a software issue, since the 5 and 1D's will focus with both the 1.4 and 2x TC's, why can't someone come up with a Firmware update to fix that problem? Unless it's hardware.

the issue is that the software knows the limitations of the hardware in the 30D. On a 30D it can focus at f/5.6 But it is badly handicapped enough that Canon thinks it is appropriate for the software to simply say "I cannot focus a lens of this (f/8 )aperture" when it effectively is slower than f/5.6 .

In comparison the 1DsII can focus at f/8 so the software knows that, and lets the focus happen. But if the lens was f/11 (real, or effective) it, too, would say "I cannot quickly and reliably focus a lens of this (f/11) aperture" when it effectively is slower than f/8 .

It is software that matches what the hardware can do, and the hardware capabilities do differ between the models.

Post #13, Jan 25, 2007 18:26:09

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,737 views & 0 likes for this thread
Taping The Pins???
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES