FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers
Thread started 15 Feb 2007 (Thursday) 22:35   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

Lord_Malone
Cream of the Manpanties........ Inventor Great POTN Photo Book
Joined Oct 2005
7,684 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

With the introduction of Microsoft Vista v1.0, more and more people will gradually begin to make the switch. It is widely accepted that the initial version will be full of bugs and many unknowns. Until the new OS has time to mature and stabilize, many of us will only know what's working and what's not working through good old fashioned trial and error. In the meantime, I forsee tons of questions regarding known or unknown compatibility issues with hardware and software optimized for Windows XP. I'm starting a thread to document and catalog known compatilbility issues with Vista to use for reference for the entire POTN community. Please list known issues in the following format:

Example
Software/Hardware: Canon i9900 Printer
Issue: needs updated driver
Solution: add-on module for printer driver
Link: http://alpha02u.c-wss.com/inc/ApplServle​t?RQF=MENU&RQS=WWUCA91​0&LA=1171599825898&SV=​WWUCA900&menu=DR&TRF=M​AINexternal link
Notes: smooth sailing

Maybe I'm leaving out key information, but this thread will be continuously updated. If anyone can think of a better format for documenting compatibility issues feel free to chime and and make a recommendation. Whatever you list will be updated and added here to the first post in this thread. Please reserve your comments regarding your likes or dislikes of MS Vista for other threads. Let's keep this thread on track to simply provide some sort of database to document any known issues with any given software or hardware. Thanks.

UPDATE: Great sources of information...

http://thevistaforums.​com/external link

http://www.hardforum.c​om/forumdisplay.php?f=​16external link

Sonic DLA driver blocked issues. If you use Roxio Media Creator you will have this popup on startup upon upgrading to Windows Vista:

Fix can be found via the link below:

http://kb.roxio.com/co​ntent/kb/Creator/00013​1CRexternal link

Device: ViewSonic G90f series CRT Monitors
Issue: driver
Solution: none currently available
notes: still completes the installation and the monitor works fine

lilmill wrote in post #2724050external link
I found some drivers for vista for my r1800. They seem to be working.

http://www.ausmedia.co​m.au/vista_sca...s.htm​#printersexternal link

Lord_Malone wrote in post #2725277external link
Western Digital My Book Backup Software.

The software won't allow you to run the "Advanced Backup" feature. A dialog box appears and says "WD Backup has stopped working..." I can still back up my image files using the more automated approach.

No known solutions so far.

UPDATE:

lindalans@comcast.net wrote in post #2940519external link
Re: Western Digital WD Backup software problems in the "Advanced Mode"

I have experienced the same problem I have a "work around." If you expand all the options (i.e., click on all the + signs) in the "Advanced Mode" before you check any of the boxes, you won't see the message "WD has stopped working..." You may then proceed with the backup

Bakewell wrote in post #2728912external link
Microsoft reports Vista Compatibility issues with RAW files...

"The problem with raw image support in Vista is related to the fact that editing the properties of a photo in the operating system will render the proprietary metadata unrecognizable. To avoid losing the RAW metadata, Microsoft advises users to steer clear of the Photo Acquisition Wizard when downloading photos from the camera to the hard drive"

see the full report...

http://news.softpedia.​com ...upport-Issues-47290.shtmlexternal link

Belmondo's tale...

I upgraded one of my machines to Vista, mainly because I had grown weary of sticking pins in my eyes, and was looking for a new way to abuse myself. In that regard, Vista is the gift that keeps on giving.

The initial installation went smoothly enough. I did get a short list of 'potential' problems, but decided they weren't significant enough to dissuade me from going ahead with the upgrade. After starting up for the first time, I discovered that the computer didn't recognize most of the USB devices attached to the computer. I was half expecting that. The real surprises started when I tried opening Quicken 2006. It couldn't find some of the files Quicken needed. I called Intuit, and they didn't know what to do, and they suggested I re-install it. That didn't work, so their next suggestion was to buy Quicken 2007 becasue it was known to be compatible with Vista. I bought it, installed it, and it didn't work.

Concurrent with the Quicken problems, I found I couldn't open Outlook 2003 (a Microsoft product, by the way). I can't remember the exact error message, but it was telling me I didn't have authority to perform that operation. Huh? I called Microsoft support, and after a couple hours, was told it was an Office problem, and I'd have to call the fee-based support people for Microsoft Office. I decided I'd just as soon buy the latest version of Office than pay Microsoft to sort out a problem that had obviously been created by Vista.

When I tried to install Office 2007 (upgrade), the Install Wizard said it couldn't find a qualifying product on the computer, even though Office 2003 was definitely there. I called Microsoft again, and they told me to uninstall and reinstall Office 2003 and retry installing 2007. Same problem. Then, they said I'd have to completely remove the 2003 installation again, this time using regedit to delete every reference to Office 11 (2003). That took a couple hours---there are lots of entries in the registry. After that, I went through the same drill of trying to install 2007 without any luck. Microsoft finally decided to give up on installing it as an upgrade, and gave me a new product key for a full version. It wouldn't install. After at least 9 hours on the phone with various tech support people, Microsoft finally decided there was nothing they could do. They apologized profusely, and said they would get back to me if they ever found a cure, although there was no guarantee they would work on it unless and until enough other people showed up with the same problem.

That was the end of Microsoft's involvement in the ordeal. I did get a follow-up phone call from them yesterday, but there were no new suggestions on what to do.

In the meantime, I had noticed that a lot of files had been tagged 'read-only.' Most of them I was able to change one at a time, but there was no good explanation from Microsoft why that had happened. The 'read-only' problem, I learned, was the reason I hadn't been able to use Qucken and Outlook. The files I needed, however, could not be changed from read-only, so I was still dead in the water. Then, I found the User Account Control (UAC) setting and decided to try it. Voila!! All of a sudden, I could use Quicken and Outlook again. I still can't install Office 2007, but I don't really care. I was very happy with 2003, and only bought it to try to get Outlook back.

The last surprise came last night when I tried to open Photoshop CS2. Evidently the serial number had been lost during the Vista upgrade, so I had to re-install CS2. There are lots of other programs on that computer that I haven't tried yet, so I'm sure this story still hasn't been completely told.

By the way, every time I re-boot the computer, it tells me I should turn UAC back on. Like I'm going to do that!! I just give the computer the finger and continue with the boot.

Now that Vist is up and running, it looks very different than XP, but functionally doesn't seem a lot different. It's slick looking, but that's not reason enough to torture yourself. If you're like me, and you choose to ignore the warnings of friends, just be prepared for a process that could consume days of your life, cripple your computer, but make you the envy of every kid in your neighborhood.

Lord_Malone wrote in post #2729336external link
Canon DPP will just "stop working" for some apparent reason. :confused:

Update: I'm having trouble with only one of my file folders. For some reason DPP will open up any image folder but this one. The folder opens fine in every other application, but not in DPP. Whenever I make an attempt to open this particular folder in DPP it shuts down and a dialog box appears saying that "DPP Viewer stopped working". It's really not that big of a deal. But I suspect Vista has something to do with it.

roeddel wrote in post #2729425external link
on another note, if you use AVG 7.5 Free Edition, it TOO will lose its product key and you will have to uninstall and reinstall AVG. simply running the repair will not work. hope this helps!

Pete wrote in post #2730292external link
I've upgraded from Windows XP to Vista without any real problems except for XPlay (iPod software) refuses to both work and uninstall after the upgrade (it insists on working only on Windows XP, so it's XPlay that's badly written).

JSolie wrote in post #2736282external link
It looks like Epson finally release 32 & 64-bit Vista drivers for the R2400. I downloaded and installed them on Friday, printed a photo, and things worked out fine.

http://www.epson.com ...=highlights¬eoid​=86150external link

I was also pleasantly surprised to find Vista drivers for out old Perfection 2400 scanner, which seem to work just fine.
All I'm waiting for now are the Spyder2 drivers...
-- John

JBF wrote in post #2738392external link
I always learn the hard way. Running XP Pro for three years now and it seems pretty stable. Vista comes out and I just have to have it. Install went fine, then my Epson printer wouldn't work, however they now have drivers out for my R2400, then my IPod wouldn't work, then CS2 I had to restart photoshop every time I opened a raw file, it just hung. Vista has been taken off the computer, XP is back and running smoothly. I will wait a couple of month and then re-install vista, hopefully they will have some of the bugs worked out. I saw that there are already 10 or so security updates for it already.....some things never change.......ahem!!!

rskhaled wrote in post #2740149external link
Has anybody had any PTP issues with MS Vista. I have a Canon 400D, and Vista does not recognize my camera. I have installed all the drivers (There doesn't seem to be new PTP drivers an the Canon website). Whenever I plug the camera in Vista pops up with "cannot recognize camera" Is there any way around this? Thanks Richard

Bakewell wrote in post #2754324external link
DxO simply doesn't work with Vista.

Inquired and received this reply..."We are currently working on support for Microsoft Vista. We plan on releasing a free update of DxO Optics Pro compatible for Vista early March"

Mr B Snappy wrote in post #2756830external link
By the way zoombrowser 5.8 (vista compatible version) is available on the canon website. Oh and I finally found a vista 64 driver for my linksys wireless LAN card on the taiwanese RaLink website! Have had to do a dual boot installation so I can use my camcorder and digital tv tuner.

JSolie wrote in post #2757451external link
Actually, it looks like Colorvision released something yesterday. I try installing it later tonight and see if that works. If it does, then I'm all good with Vista...

http://www.colorvision​.com/dl_software.phpexternal link

-- John

Lord_Malone wrote in post #2758727external link
Just purchased the Microsoft Optical Desktop Elite wireless keyboard and mouse. The package is clearly marked "Vista Ready", but still had problems with the installation software that came with it. You'll have to go to Microsoft's website to download the update to the software.

http://www.microsoft.c​om ...t%20for%20Windows%2​0Vistaexternal link

Gadget-Guy wrote in post #2761278external link
Had one main problem so far,firewire transfer of files from my 1DMKIIN is very slow indeed.Connects to the camera through EOS Utility but transfer speeds are up to one minute for a raw file.Still cant sus it but will post again as soon as i fix the problem.

park84 wrote in post #2764024external link
Just picked up HP DV6000 with Vista and it will not pick up the XTi. I am now realizing the XTi only supports up to XP. I have upgraded the ZoomBrowser EX to 5.8, but still not seeing the XTi. I am unable to use the "Remote Shooting" with Vista. This really stinks!!!! Is there a way to upgrade the XTi for Vista to pick it up?

nicksan wrote in post #2785300external link
Next up, Vista failed to recognize my LinkSys LNE100TX PCI NIC...however the XP drivers worked fine. I have several of these NIC's lying around. The one I had initially in the PC was a version 4.1. Could not get that to work. I have a version 5.1 so I swapped it out, and it worked fine.

Notable problems:

When attempting to install something off of a network share (i.e. run setup.exe off of a share on another machine) I get the dreaded BSOD! Not sure if it is related to UAC...gotta check on that.

Also, the whole hibernate/low power mode thing is "buggy" on my PC.

pxl8 wrote in post #2789006external link
Vista's security system is causing some problems with plugins for me.
Focus Magic gives an error when you run it as a filter unless the hosting application is Run As Admin. The problem now is that I can't drag and drop into the application - Vista won't allow dropping onto applications running at a higher security level than the source.
Guess the plugins need updating for Vista...

khlubb wrote in post #2836252external link
The only program that I run that will not work with Vista is Quickbooks 2006, but that was to be expected as it stated on their website.

Do your research before hand. Most of the companies have updates out there, or ones coming very soon. I went through the Canon, HP, Adobe, etc, websites, and bookmarked all of the pages that I thought I might need to update drivers. Also -- run the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor before hand -- it will tell you what programs may not run right (without the proper drivers).

http://www.microsoft.c​om ...t_svl=20009a&mg_id=​20009bexternal link

hickory wrote in post #2857648external link
I struggled for most of a day trying to get Nero 7 the Vista compatible version to work on a new Dell E521 preloaded with Vista Home Premium. Many problems and could not uninstall it from my system without using a separate MS Windows Uninstaller program I found on the MS site. I'm familiar with Nero and wanted to use it instead of Roxio which comes preloaded. Guess thats not gonna happen for now. If anyone has success with Nero on Vista please let me know how and which version. thanks.

Post #1, Feb 15, 2007 22:35:01

~Spaceships Don't Come Equipped With Rear View Mirrors~
http://www.myspace.com​/chocolate_thaiexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Belmondo
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2003
42,727 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

This is a great idea. Let's do it, and let's try to stick to specific issues and (hopefully) resolutions. Let's keep Microsoft bashing to a minimum, and let's not have any gratuitous gloating from the Macintosh contingent.

Post #2, Feb 15, 2007 22:41:07

I'm not short. I'm concentrated awesome!

-MasterChief-
- B E L I E V E -
Joined Mar 2006
3,163 posts
Requiem
[MORE/SHARE]

Sonic DLA driver blocked issues. If you use Roxio Media Creator you will have this popup on startup upon upgrading to Windows Vista:

Post #3, Feb 15, 2007 22:48:33

beginners argue about bodies, pros argue about glass, seasoned veterans let the pictures argue for themselves.
.:EOS 5D Mark II, EOS 7D, 17-40 f/4L, 24-105 f/4L 100 f/2.8L Macro, 70-200 f/2.8L IS:.
complete gearlist and feedback FACEBOOKexternal link

-MasterChief-
- B E L I E V E -
Joined Mar 2006
3,163 posts
Requiem
[MORE/SHARE]

one more thing, when upgrading from Windows XP to Windows Vista, DO NOT download current updates from website when asked during installation. do the updates AFTER successfully installing Windows Vista. trust me, it will save you a lot of setup restarts! :D

Post #4, Feb 15, 2007 22:50:29

beginners argue about bodies, pros argue about glass, seasoned veterans let the pictures argue for themselves.
.:EOS 5D Mark II, EOS 7D, 17-40 f/4L, 24-105 f/4L 100 f/2.8L Macro, 70-200 f/2.8L IS:.
complete gearlist and feedback FACEBOOKexternal link

Lord_Malone
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2005
7,684 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

roeddel wrote in post #2716408external link

Thanks. I see the "Sonic DLA driver blocked" dialog box each time I reboot.

Post #5, Feb 15, 2007 23:05:25

sponsored links
Lord_Malone
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2005
7,684 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Here's a good reference...

http://winqual.microso​ft.com/HCL/Default.asp​xexternal link

http://technet.microso​ft.com ...indowsvista/aa90509​0.aspxexternal link

Post #6, Feb 16, 2007 12:29:08

lilmill
Joined Jun 2005
195 posts
O.C.
[MORE/SHARE]

I found some drivers for vista for my r1800. They seem to be working.
http://www.ausmedia.co​m.au/vista_sca...s.htm​#printersexternal link

Post #7, Feb 17, 2007 08:49:47 as a reply to Lord_Malone's post 20 hours earlier.

7D,20D 3l's and a couple ef's
G10,D10, SD630
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/lilmill/external link

Lord_Malone
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2005
7,684 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Western Digital My Book Backup Software.
The software won't allow you to run the "Advanced Backup" feature. A dialog box appears and says "WD Backup has stopped working..." I can still back up my image files using the more automated approach.
No known solutions so far.

Post #8, Feb 17, 2007 13:55:27

Lord_Malone
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2005
7,684 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Not sure if this is Vista related, but I'll post it here nonetheless. I originally sent this message to a POTN member in a PM who was interested in the Canon CanoScan 4400F after i purchased mine:

"Did you have any trouble with the bundled software that came with the scanner? Shortly after installing the software in my laptop, it caused it to crash. It was pretty catastrophic. At first I didn't associate the crash with the software. I just figured I was running too many labor intensive memory hungry programs simutaneously and pushed my poor laptop too far. Yesterday I installed the software into my new Dell XPS 410 and my machine started to behave very strange. At first I thought it might be infected with malicious software, so I downloaded Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool. It started to show the same signs and symptoms just before my laptop crashed. Internet Explorer7 was running dog slow and was consuming way too much processing power, and I'm running an Intel 6600 Core 2 Duo with 2gb RAM! Several programs started to run erradically as well. Then I remembered that all of this started after I installed the bundled scanner software. I kept the scanner drivers and all the 4400F related stuff, but uninstalled Presto Page Manager and the OmniPage SE. After I uninstalled those applications my PC was back to normal performing at optimal levels again. And I mean I noticed the difference immediately. As soon as the last program was removed, my computer came out of limp mode. It could be that there is a compatiblity issue with the bundled software and Windows Vista, but then I remember that my laptop crashed not long after I installed the programs and I'm running Windows XP SP2 on it."

Post #9, Feb 17, 2007 14:21:37

condyk
Africa's #1 Tour Guide
Joined Mar 2005
20,848 posts
Birmingham, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

Great idea General Panties ... you da man, man :-)

I'm watching ... my Vista has been fine but runs on my Vaio laptop with minimal stuff on it: Office, Visio and MindManager only. I have put off going the desktop install route for now.

Post #10, Feb 17, 2007 14:28:27

http://photography-on-the.net .../showthread.php?t=1​203740

Lord_Malone
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2005
7,684 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

condyk wrote in post #2725410external link
Great idea General Panties ... you da man, man :-)

I'm watching ... my Vista has been fine but runs on my Vaio laptop with minimal stuff on it: Office, Visio and MindManager only. I have put off going the desktop install route for now.

My talents are not limited to the design and manufacture of the lastest in ultra-sensual men's lingerie apparel you know. ;)

The lack of response tells me two things:

1. Either no one is having serious issues or
2. all the smart people are staying away from Vista until the dust settles!

LOL

Post #11, Feb 17, 2007 17:24:34

sponsored links
condyk
Africa's #1 Tour Guide
Joined Mar 2005
20,848 posts
Birmingham, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

Well there are lots of warnings from 'IT experts' but I guess most 'real people' are just installing and getting on with it. At the end of the day the average bod has limited number of periferals to worry about, unlike your average corporate, and will search around for drivers and such if they need to.

The only reason I didn't put Vista on the desktop is that it is an x64 machine and my legal update (Vista Business) won't update it. I need to get a full version it seems and start from scratch: I don't have time for it at the moment.

Post #12, Feb 18, 2007 04:08:37

http://photography-on-the.net .../showthread.php?t=1​203740

Bakewell
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2006
1,385 posts
Irvine, CA
[MORE/SHARE]
banned

Microsoft reports Vista Compatibility issues with RAW files...

"The problem with raw image support in Vista is related to the fact that editing the properties of a photo in the operating system will render the proprietary metadata unrecognizable. To avoid losing the RAW metadata, Microsoft advises users to steer clear of the Photo Acquisition Wizard when downloading photos from the camera to the hard drive"

see the full report...

http://news.softpedia.​com ...upport-Issues-47290.shtmlexternal link

Post #13, Feb 18, 2007 07:28:27 as a reply to condyk's post 3 hours earlier.

Dave

Lord_Malone
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2005
7,684 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

LOL it's a good thing I don't use the Photo Acquisition Wizard! Nope. I'll just stick to my old tried and true method of downloading via ZoomBrowser EX. Thanks for the heads up nonetheless. ;)

Post #14, Feb 18, 2007 09:31:04

Belmondo
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2003
42,727 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I posted this in another thread a few days back. It seems to have relevance here....

I upgraded one of my machines to Vista, mainly because I had grown weary of sticking pins in my eyes, and was looking for a new way to abuse myself. In that regard, Vista is the gift that keeps on giving.

The initial installation went smoothly enough. I did get a short list of 'potential' problems, but decided they weren't significant enough to dissuade me from going ahead with the upgrade. After starting up for the first time, I discovered that the computer didn't recognize most of the USB devices attached to the computer. I was half expecting that. The real surprises started when I tried opening Quicken 2006. It couldn't find some of the files Quicken needed. I called Intuit, and they didn't know what to do, and they suggested I re-install it. That didn't work, so their next suggestion was to buy Qucken 2007 becasue it was known to be compatible with Vista. I bought it, installed it, and it didn't work.

Concurrent with the Quicken problems, I found I couldn't open Outlook 2003 (a Microsoft product, by the way). I can't remember the exact error message, but it was telling me I didn't have authority to perform that operation. Huh? I called Microsoft support, and after a couple hours, was told it was an Office problem, and I'd have to call the fee-based support people for Microsoft Office. I decided I'd just as soon buy the latest version of Office than pay Microsoft to sort out a problem that had obviously been created by Vista.

When I tried to install Office 2007 (upgrade), the Install Wizard said it couldn't find a qualifying product on the computer, even though Office 2003 was definitely there. I called Microsoft again, and they told me to uninstall and reinstall Office 2003 and retry installing 2007. Same problem. Then, they said I'd have to completely remove the 2003 installation again, this time using regedit to delete every reference to Office 11 (2003). That took a couple hours---there are lots of entries in the registry. After that, I went through the same drill of trying to install 2007 without any luck. Microsoft finally decided to give up on installing it as an upgrade, and gave me a new product key for a full version. It wouldn't install. After at least 9 hours on the phone with various tech support people, Microsoft finally decided there was nothing they could do. They apologized profusely, and said they would get back to me if they ever found a cure, although there was no guarantee they would work on it unless and until enough other people showed up with the same problem.

That was the end of Microsoft's involvement in the ordeal. I did get a follow-up phone call from them yesterday, but there were no new suggestions on what to do.

In the meantime, I had noticed that a lot of files had been tagged 'read-only.' Most of them I was able to change one at a time, but there was no good explanation from Microsoft why that had happened. The 'read-only' problem, I learned, was the reason I hadn't been able to use Qucken and Outlook. The files I needed, however, could not be changed from read-only, so I was still dead in the water. Then, I found the User Account Control (UAC) setting and decided to try it. Voila!! All of a sudden, I could use Quicken and Outlook again. I still can't install Office 2007, but I don't really care. I was very happy with 2003, and only bought it to try to get Outlook back.

The last surprise came last night when I tried to open Photoshop CS2. Evidently the serial number had been lost during the Vista upgrade, so I had to re-install CS2. There are lots of other programs on that computer that I haven't tried yet, so I'm sure this story still hasn't been completely told.

By the way, every time I re-boot the computer, it tells me I should turn UAC back on. Like I'm going to do that!! :lol::lol: I just give the computer the finger and continue with the boot.

Now that Vist is up and running, it looks very different than XP, but functionally doesn't seem a lot different. It's slick looking, but that's not reason enough to torture yourself. If you're like me, and you choose to ignore the warnings of friends, just be prepared for a process that could consume days of your life, cripple your computer, but make you the envy of every kid in your neighborhood.

Post #15, Feb 18, 2007 09:53:20 as a reply to Lord_Malone's post 22 minutes earlier.

I'm not short. I'm concentrated awesome!

LIST NEARBY THREADS
70,916 views & 0 likes for this thread
Microsoft Vista Compatibility Issues
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES