Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Performing Arts
Thread started 03 Sep 2004 (Friday) 22:15
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

The Red Kid - A "Mistake" that works (?) - Please

Radtech1
Everlasting Gobstopper
6,446 posts
Joined Jun 2003
Trantor
Sep 03, 2004 22:15 |  #1

This was taken at the last "Concert In The Park" series in Fullerton. I was working with my new 70-300 DO and was standing about 30 or so feet away. The sun had gone down, and they had on these GHASTLY orange flood and spot lights. GOD they cast an ugly light! So I was manually setting the Kelvin on my 10D. BUT, I got it wrong. I set it to compensate for blue light, not orange!

In any event, I think that the shot has more impact, more feel, more something than most of the color correct shots that I got that night. On my own, I NEVER would have thought to go monochrome with this much "sepia."

Please critique.

Rad

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'text/html'

10D
70-300 DO IS at 300mm
ISO = 400
1/20th Second (Hand held with the IS on)
f 5.6

Be humble, for you are made of the earth. Be noble, for you are made of the stars.

Sailor ­ Don
237 posts
Joined Jul 2004
Texas
Sep 04, 2004 08:28 |  #2

Not much interest.

Maybe the boy's fans, mother, friends, etc. whould find this an interesting photo. It's not a portrait, it's not action. It doesn't say anything to me except the subject hasn't figured out how to wear shades. :D

Sailor Don

im2postal
49 posts
Joined Jul 2004
Sep 04, 2004 09:33 |  #3

A little young to be playing the club sceene...

but I like it alot. Good mistake. Now you can experiment with it to enhance other moods.

Now you don't need to buy color filters.

Robbie

P.S. Does anyone know if similar adjustments can be made with a Rebel?

tofuboy
652 posts
Joined Aug 2004
Maple Valley, WA
Sep 04, 2004 14:27 |  #4

Interesting effect. When I first saw the picture and read your title, I thought you were going to say you put a red filter on your lens for b&w shooting, but decided you liked the color version better... never would have thought that picture came without any color filter.

I did a similary thing last winter in terms of white balance. I was outside shooting some snow pictures, with the white balance set to tungsten (or was it flourescent?).. anyways, it gave a bluish cast to everything, with the effect of making it look very cold.

And as far as the Rebel being able to adjust the white balance beyond the presets, the only way is to shoot in RAW mode, then do the wb adjustments when you're converting the RAW.

-Matt Seattle Photography - Nature|Portrait|Eventexternal link
'The negative is comparable to the composer’s score and the print to its performance.' - Ansel Adams

2,207 views & 0 likes for this thread
The Red Kid - A "Mistake" that works (?) - Please
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Performing Arts

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.